Greetings from the Sacramento, CA area

Welcome to the Braumeisters.net forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.
CalHiTower
Model: 20 litres

Greetings from the Sacramento, CA area

Unread post by CalHiTower » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am

I would like to introduce myself, just joined the forum.

I'm CalHiTower and am an old man...been doing fermentations for almost 45 years. I have a BM20L and just love it. I used to brew with a home made 3 tier 15 gal Sanke keg system (one keg was a Sabco). Sold the whole system in 2014 to get the Speidel, never looking back.

I'm a little slower now, but if I start early enough I get the job done. Braumeisters Forum was recommended to me by MoreBeer here in California. I was having problems with the mash sieves unraveling and they had no answer and said Speidel didn't have improvements available. I bought the BM20L from them in March of 2014. Brewed many batches and love the set-up...but, after time, I'm now experiencing the sieve problem.

I've already lurked for a few days before being approved, and noted there have been many discussions re this subject. The rectifications to the problem I find quite smart...and very doable for me.

I'm looking forward to being part of your world and hope to be able to in some way contribute as well.

Cal :beer: :beer: :beer:

mashy

Re: Greetings from the Sacramento, CA area

Unread post by mashy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am

Welcome aboard.

I am sure there will be things you can share with us newbies. I started almost 10 years ago.

I replaced mine with the BAC course grade mesh filters... Terrific!

Looking at your name... Are you a skeet man?

niels
Site Admin
Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread post by niels » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:56 am

Welcome! With your 45 years of fermentation experience you bump the average experience level of the forum quite a bit. :D
CalHiTower wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am
Braumeisters Forum was recommended to me by MoreBeer here in California.
Wow, that's nice of them!

:beer:
Cheers,
Niels

IPA
Model: 50 litres

Unread post by IPA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 am

CalHiTower wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am
I would like to introduce myself, just joined the forum.

I'm CalHiTower and am an old man...been doing fermentations for almost 45 years. I have a BM20L and just love it. I used to brew with a home made 3 tier 15 gal Sanke keg system (one keg was a Sabco). Sold the whole system in 2014 to get the Speidel, never looking back.

I'm a little slower now, but if I start early enough I get the job done. Braumeisters Forum was recommended to me by MoreBeer here in California. I was having problems with the mash sieves unraveling and they had no answer and said Speidel didn't have improvements available. I bought the BM20L from them in March of 2014. Brewed many batches and love the set-up...but, after time, I'm now experiencing the sieve problem.

I've already lurked for a few days before being approved, and noted there have been many discussions re this subject. The rectifications to the problem I find quite smart...and very doable for me.

I'm looking forward to being part of your world and hope to be able to in some way contribute as well.

Cal :beer: :beer: :beer:
Here is your solution.

https://www.bacbrewing.com/en/parts-for ... 09-mm.html

They also make them with 1.5 mm mesh

CalHiTower

Unread post by CalHiTower » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 pm

mashy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am
Welcome aboard.

I am sure there will be things you can share with us newbies. I started almost 10 years ago.

I replaced mine with the BAC course grade mesh filters... Terrific!

Looking at your name... Are you a skeet man?
Mashy..you'll have to excuse my ignorance...what is a skeet man? When I was younger, I hunted and did a lot of it though...I practiced my aim by doing trap and skeet...is that what you mean?

The reference in my name comes from my other hobby... making the clear stuff...

Thanks for the info re the filters...you would think Speidel would take the lead and morph their mesh screens to the better product...

Cal

CalHiTower

Unread post by CalHiTower » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:29 pm

IPA...thanks for the link.

My grandfather was born in Paris...can't speak a word of french (maybe a few phrases tho) always wanted to really see France. Been to Villefrance, Nice, and Monte Carlo on a cruise back in the day...but I digress...

Thanks again for the "scoop".

Cal

Mashman

Unread post by Mashman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi Welcome to the Forum.

I was in California earlier this year, first visit to the USA, had a fantastic time, everybody so helpful and friendly. I didn't get to Sacramento but I did get to Russian River in New Windsor to sample the Pliny the Elder. Just need to get back to try Pliny the Younger. Oh and Scottsdale Gun Club with the Thompson on full auto was amazing. Death Valley was surreal. A beautiful State, I loved the desert.

CalHiTower

Unread post by CalHiTower » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 pm

We sure have a lot to do here in California...I'll give you that...but it sure is expensive to live here...thinking of moving to Nevada or Idaho...but I think we're too old to make the move comfortably.

Thanks for the welcome...and yes, there are a lot of great beers here in California. Personally, I only brew German and Czech beers.

Cal

mashy

Unread post by mashy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 pm

Cal. I was thinking skeet yeah.
Are you making the clear stuff from grain too?

CalHiTower

Unread post by CalHiTower » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Mashy, Hope you and yours had a nice Thanksgiving (hope I'm not out of line here)...

I use sugar for one clear stuff and Golden Promise/Weyermann Peated for another clear stuff.

Regards,

Cal