Camden tabs to decrease oxygen

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.
Onthebrew
Model: 20 litres

Camden tabs to decrease oxygen

Unread post by Onthebrew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Found this interesting so may add one post fermentation on next brew http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/11/post-f ... t-results/

Does anyone else do this?

mashy

Re: Camden tabs to decrease oxygen

Unread post by mashy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I have to confess that isn't Where I thought your link was heading. Was expecting campden tablet to start with, which has always not appealed.

This was a good find, made me think. I use kadifit with my wine and it was one of the most successful changes.

Never tried it with beer, And I could see how it would make sense. I carry sodium metabisulphite but only for cleaning. Potassium metabisulphite [kadifit] would be a much better solution & would not add a salty element.

I will have to give this some thought - More than up for trying it with my next bottling. Although dousing it might be difficult.

Thank you

Onthebrew

Unread post by Onthebrew » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Should be ok to add just before racking or maybe in the fermenter after final gravity has been reached?

grooves
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread post by grooves » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I tried a low oxygen brew once where I added a ton of sodium metabisulphite to the mash liquor - but to be honest I didn't taste a difference in the final beer, and I'd just added a ton of chemicals to the brew. So I binned the idea.

I notice that in the experiment even though the tasters could tell the difference there wasn't a clear winner. So I'm not sure it's worth it, but give it a try - split a batch and let us know your thoughts.

RobW

Unread post by RobW » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 pm

I add potassium or sodium met to mash and sparge liquor to reduce O2 but have never tried it post fermentation.
Can't see why it wouldn't help but unless you are paying close attention to O2-free packaging - purging kegs etc it may not be of much use.

Cheers
Rob

Onthebrew

Unread post by Onthebrew » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:39 am

tabs arrived so will split batch when i dry hop and chuck half a tab in one. TBH, Not expecting much but its relatively hassle free and you never know.

mashy

Unread post by mashy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Onthebrew wrote:... its relatively hassle free and you never know.
Good shout - let us know how you get on.