Common Cider

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Common Cider

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I know, not a Braumeister recipe, but it will impress your non-beer drinking friends and significant others...

Code: Select all
Common Cider:

Ingredients, Part 1:
- Refrigerate 5 x 128oz ounce bottles (5 gallons / 18.9 liters) Kirkland 100% Apple Juice (cheap US brand)
     - find any good quality cider without potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate
- Yeast (I've had good success with  WY1028 - London Ale Yeast)
- Yeast Nutrient (Fermaid-O)
- Tannic acid

Ingredients, Part 2
- potassium metabisulfite, potassium sorbate
- ½ gallon (1.89 liters) Trader Joe’s McIntosh Juice (another US brand)
     - find something with a little more flavor than your base juice
- 100% Blueberry juice

Part 1:
- Let refrigerated juice come up to 15C
- Open 1 bottle of apple juice; check gravity (target 1.048 to 1.050)
- In fermenter, pour in 3 bottles of apple juice
- Oxygenate juice
- Decent yeast starter… Pour yeast in
- Pour bottle 4 and 5 of apple juice into fermenter
- Mix 1 g tannin (Tannin FT Blanc Soft) with apple juice and add to fermenter
- Ferment at 20/17C. Maybe raise to 21C if needed for clean up or to finish
- 6 hours later: 7.5g Fermaid O, premixed in cider

Part 2 (In about 14 days):
- Check for target FG of ~1.000
- Since I force carb in a keg, I next add
     - Potassium metabisulfite   0.5tsp 
     - Wait 24 hours and then add... Potassium sorbate 2.5tsp
     - Wait 24 more hours and add ½ gallon (1.89 liters) Trader Joe’s McIntosh Juice
- 1 Day later: Rack cider into KEG. Do not carb, just put enough CO2 in to fill head space
- Taste test for sweetening, add more Kirkland juice as needed
- If desired, add flavorings to taste – blueberry
- Filter if desired
- Carb in keg
- Bottle

Model: 20 litres

Re: Cider recommendations

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:41 am

Ok i'm listing my recipe. I can't help it. Ignore as appropriate.
I recommend the following, for those of us who a. live somewhere cider varieties (high tannin and/or high malic acid content) are not commonly available, and b. don't have access to a cider press, but want to make an interesting cider from real apples. I do this every year pretty much, it's my standard protocol.
1. Must: get some apples. a blend of really sweet and some sharper is best. here in holland i use elstar (sweet), cox orange pippin (great all-rounder), and either father-in-law's weird old variety from his tree, very sharp, or <5% granny smith: super sharp. to that mix i add <5% crabapples, "borrowed" from local trees. these are very sweet and hugely tannic. Don't overdo it with the crabs! (Is that a sex pistols album?)
2. Fermentation: run everything through a kitchen juicer. just a cheapy spinning-basket type affair. Take the gravity, and adjust with apple concentrate or sugar (i use sugar) if you want it stronger. Back calculate the ABV by assuming it will finish slightly below 1.000. If you are making 10% abv then it will finish well below 1.000. I go with 6-7%, elstars get me 6.5% easily, the others a bit less. Add K-metabisulfite to the must (that's what your juice is now called!) to achieve ~50ppm SO2. this can be calculated, and is based partly on the pH of the juice, or can be estimated. That inhibits most bacteria and wild yeast, and the SO2 will be long gone by the time you drink it. Leave it overnight, and in the morning pitch the yeast of your choice. I use cal ale S05. Use a beer-sized pitch, or maybe double it. Also add a standard dose of yeast nutrient and some pectinase if you want. Go away for a long time, leaving it to ferment in a cool place. I don't touch it for several months, until it has dropped completely clear. If I make the cider in november, I think about it in maybe april.
3. Finishing: Taste a bit of the cider, it will be bone dry and sharp. Pull a small sample, sweeten it a tiny bit with sugar, experiment with additions of malic acid and (highly diluted) white tannin powder if you want to fine tune those variables. I don't like sweet cider, but a little bit of sugar makes it much more pleasant; it goes from bitingly sharp to pleasantly crisp. For sparkling cider, rack the cider to a keg, add the appropriate backsweetening sugar, malic and tannin, and force carbonate as much as you like. Bottle the carbonated cider with counter pressure or beergun or any cheap alternative. For still cider, just rack to a new vessel, do the additions, and bottle in crown cap bottles. Now the fun part. Pasteurize bottles in the braumeister. If you added any sugar whatsoever as a backsweetener, you need to pasteurize or you will have bottle bombs. Fill the BM just below bottle height, set to 65 and run the pump(s). Add as many bottles as will be almost completely submerged, and pasteurize them for 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining bottles. You need to pasteurize pretty quickly after the cider gets to room temperature (morning after is probably fine, depends how much yeast is there), or they could already referment, and may explode. Exploding bottles are not dangerous if submerged in water, but are VERY dangerous in air. The bottled cider is very stable, drink immediately or age for a year or more.
dinnerstick

Re: Common Cider

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:52 pm

This is very similar to what I do, Nesto. I use a variety of juices.. both filtered and unfiltered. I like Mussleman's, TreeTop, Whole Foods. Here is my basic recipe.. but parts of it do get modified depending on the flavor I want. Also, I both bottle and keg my cider and only do 2.5 gallon batches. Kegging doesn't require a lot of care.. but, bottling does. I like my cider carbonated and not "dry".. but not sweet. So, when I bottle, I typically will add some concentrated flavoring such as, in this case, apple/raspberry concentrated juice and bottle.

Cider #2 Started 1/14/14
OG: 1.050 Rack Grav: FG: 1.000 ABV: 6.7%
1 G Apple Cider (Whole Foods brand- Unfiltered) (or TreeTop or Safeway)
1 G Mussleman’s unfiltered Apple Cider from Walmart.
1 Qt Cranberry Juice Cocktail (Safeway brand)
2 Green Tea bags steeped
1.5 Tbsp Lemon Juice Concentrate
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
5 oz Brown Sugar
1/2 sachet Mangrove Jack Cider Yeast
1 can Safeway Apple/Raspberry frozen concentrate
Sorbate
Stevia

Take 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Steep the tea for 10 minutes.
Squeeze bags and discard. Stir in pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, lemon juice and brown sugar till dissolved.

Add apple cider to sanitized fermenter and pour in the tea mixture.
Add apple juice and cranberry juice and shake well to aerate.
Add yeast and cap with air lock.

Placed fermenter in a large bucket of water to drop temp below ambient.
Ferment temp: 66* to 68* F (desired range 64-85*)

De-gas 3-5 times a day for at least the first 4 days by shaking the carboy.

At FG, tasted dry and had enough residual bitterness.
Will cold crash in keezer for 5 days, add some sweetener, TBD, and bottle.

Cold crash did not help. Re-chilling and will add 1 tsp gelatin. 2/10/14

Gelatin worked well. As of 2/12 it had cleared enough to rack into a CO2 filled container. Back sweetened with 3/4 can of frozen Apple/Raspberry Concentrate which was 30tbsp and 6 tbsp Stevia. Added 1 tsp sorbate and bottled. Let’s hope it stops fermentation or I have bombs. Will store in basement for safety.

We’ll see if I can wait until mid April to try it. This recipe turned out a great cider.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:35 pm

I moved my recipe to this thread to join the others, but it snuck in above HbgBill's...
(and it is a braumeister recipe, technically)
dinnerstick

Common Cider

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:42 am

dinnerstick wrote:.... Now the fun part. Pasteurize bottles in the braumeister. If you added any sugar whatsoever as a backsweetener, you need to pasteurize or you will have bottle bombs. Fill the BM just below bottle height, set to 65 and run the pump(s). Add as many bottles as will be almost completely submerged, and pasteurize them for 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining bottles. You need to pasteurize pretty quickly after the cider gets to room temperature (morning after is probably fine, depends how much yeast is there), or they could already referment, and may explode. Exploding bottles are not dangerous if submerged in water, but are VERY dangerous in air. The bottled cider is very stable, drink immediately or age for a year or more.

I still think I'll keg carb, but I love the idea of using the BM to pasteurize! Way better temp control than all the folks who do stovetop (or dishwasher!)

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 pm

I have had a few explode or crack while pasteurizing.. I think I found the answer.. but, first. I do back sweeten and let the bottles start fermentation for two days. Then put them in heated water. When they explode it it big. Keep the entire kettle covered. I did and the lid blew off the kettle and saturated the kitchen with glass and cider.

So, I ran a test using just sugar water. When I filled the bottles using the standard bottle filler.. the bottles were filled to about 1" (25mm) below the top of the neck. When heated for 10 minutes in 180*F water, the level of the liquid had expanded to the top of the bottle neck. I believe the explosions and fractures had more to do with expansion rather than gas buildup. I can't prove it though.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Cheers!!

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 am

My Blueberry version of this cider nabbed 1st Place in the Sacramento region of the National Homebrewers Competition - on to Nationals!!

MacIntosh Blueberry Cider.jpg
McIntosh Blueberry Cider

Unread postby HopSong » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:07 am

Congratulations.. You da MAN
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Sergio30 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:26 am

Wow, this is such a wonderful recipe!! I would love to make this juice at home. Hey, I make the Green energy drinks everyday at home and I am curious to know if I can add apple cider vinegar too in this drink? Actually I like its taste and want to use it as an ingredient in my drink.
Sergio30

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:06 am

If anyone has a wine press, this will give a better (clearer juice)
mashy

Unread postby Icefever » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I've a Hydro press.....

we have the grapes off a friends vine....and make a few gall of wine

We are thinking of buying a scratter so we can brew cider....this type of press is soooooo easy and clean.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Icefever wrote:
We are thinking of buying a scratter so we can brew cider....this type of press is soooooo easy and clean.

Nooooo. Freeze apples first. Proper hard. The thaw thoroughly and then press. The juice is as clear as is it came from a bottle. Add 1 bottle of elderflower cordial. Bingo fantastic white white. Bottle as beer... Nice fizz.
mashy

Unread postby Icefever » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:37 pm

I freeze my rhubarb when making wine...freezing breaks the cell wall of the fruit....never thought of trying apples.... :cheers:
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Unread postby phero66 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Made Nesto's Cider and its pretty tastey! My FG ended up being 1.01, back sweetened with the same Trader Joe Macintosh Juice but reduced to half as I'm more of a dry/tart cider guy, estimated final gravity being 1.02 after the juice addition. More flavor and better tasting then a bottle of Crispin Natural Cider I had in the fridge.

Now if I could only find some Granny Smith apple juice to back sweeten with, then I would be in tart heaven!

Thanks for sharing!
phero66

Unread postby mashy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:44 am

Two important things about pasteurisation.

You must leave the lids loose. Seal them as they are removed. No explosions then.
Also it is a core temp of 60c for 30mins. Not necessarily 30mins in the BM.

Also handy to use the filter plates a a flat surface under the water
mashy

Next

Return to Recipes