American Light Lager

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: American Light Lager

Unread postby johnrm » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 am

I went through all my cold-side equipment once, but use bleach in my current process which is generally...
Hot water and scrubber brush to remove loose debris. Oxi soak to remove stubborn deposits.
Bleach soak to kill bugs.
Rinse and store dry.
Starsan pre-use followed by quick boiled water rinse where there is excessive foaming. (I don't like pouring good beer into a foamy secondary!)
(This is all OT BTW!)
johnrm

Unread postby johnrm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 pm

My last OT post on this is that I am currently fermenting in plastic, not s/s, so I'm being extra careful.
johnrm

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Nesto,

Good news about your Lager?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

American Light Lager

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:38 pm

4th week of lagering. Tasted yesterday for the first time since kegging and it's nice and clean. Light hops. I think I'll be using some Biofine Clear as it's still a bit cloudy. It'll be fun to add the lime - probably 2 more weeks.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:09 am

Lagering finished after 6 weeks. Love how it turned out - will be entering it in a couple of competitions, so it will be interesting to see what kind of feedback I get. I ended up using both Biofine Clean and PVPP to clarify and they worked like a charm.

I taste a clean lager, nice bready and fresh corn notes. No DMS and no diacetyl. (Although I haven't been able to let a sample warm up enough to really check - it's just too delicious.) Brilliantly clear with a nice white foamy head - better head retention than you'd expect for a lager. Low hop flavors. I'll be entering it as a Premium American Lager since it ended up with much higher OG than planned and fermented out very well. 1.056 OG, 1.006 FG... 6.4% ABV. I am wondering if it might not fare well in the Premium category as it has more adjunct character than some Premium lagers will have?

I also made a lime version of this same beer using the same N2O infusion as I posted about a while ago. Here's the lime/vodka infusion next to a sample of the lime beer...

Nod Light Lime.jpg
Lime Premium American Lager

It is absolutely delicious! If any of you have a secret like of Bud Light Lime that you are ashamed to admit to, this might be the beer you want to make. :cheers:

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi Nesto

Can you provide a bit more detail on your clarification method. When, how much, does one stir it in or ?, how long to settle, etc?

Thanks
Dirk
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Nesto,

Good looking beer :cheers:
it seems highly carbonated :D How much?

Cheers
Luis Coentrao

American Light Lager

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Hi Nesto

Can you provide a bit more detail on your clarification method. When, how much, does one stir it in or ?, how long to settle, etc?

Thanks
Dirk

Two slightly different fining agents...
Biofine Clear is "a colloidal silica which is positively charged at the pH of beer." From what I understand, it works like Isinglass or gelatin, but is ok for vegans - no animal products. It works particularly well on yeast. The dose is 3 ml (1/4 tbs) - 31 ml (2 tbs) per 19 liters (5 gal) of beer... a crazy big range. I've only used it a few times, I've tried 6ml/19l beer and it seems to do the job. It will be settled out within about 1 - 2 days. You don't really need to rack the beer off or filter as it will deposit the yeast in a pretty solid layer. The best way to do it is put the dose of Biofine in the keg just before racking from your fermenter. It will mix well and do its job. I've also just poured it straight in to beer that had already been kegged and carbed. Repurged after adding, shake the keg a bit, and it still works fine.

PVPP (Polycar VT)
PVPP (Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone) is a clarifier that works to pull protein-polyphenol haze compounds out of solution. Supposedly it will work on yeast as a secondary benefit. Polyclar VT is 140 micron in size, so it settles quickly and well. Instructions say 3 - 10 days, but my experience has been 2 - 3 days so far. It's targeted more at wine and cider, but it works well in beer too - can get rid of chill haze. Although it's very inert, the recommendation is to filter or rack the beer off after using. The dose is 5g (2 tbs) mixed into 235ml (1 cup) of distilled water that has been boiled and cooled back to warm (~40C). Pour it in keg. You don't really need to mix very much. It will rest on top when you first put it in and slowly fall to the bottom. I do agitate it a bit after adding and purging the keg. Polyclar VT works best if beer is very cold (0C to 4C). Be careful if you use this on carbed beer. I have had no problems, but I read one person who tossed it in an had a little eruption from all the nucleation sites he just threw into his beer.

I actually hit the beer with both at once since I didn't decide to use Biofine Clear until after lagering. I should have done Biofine Clear when first racking out of primary, then Polyclar VT after lagering. And I actually hit the beer with another dose of Polyclar VT after adding the lime infusion, which had made the beer cloudy again.

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks Nesto

Well explained. Will try if I can locate the products here other side of the world :D

Dirk
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby Wobbly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:44 am

Hi Fritzellerbrau

The product Biofine Clear is "Colloidal Silica Dioxide" sold under a number of brand names such as Biofine-Clear, Becosol-30, StabiClar-30 etc.

The Williamswarn brewing process (you can view details here if you want to http://www.williamswarn.com/the-william ... P0xJvmUdu4) clarification agent is Colloidal Silica Dioxide and is brilliant at clearing up the beer after the short 4 day fermentation process. The procedure is after primary fermentation has finished (generally 4 days for Ales and 6/7 days for Pilsners/Lagers) the beer is chilled to around 2C for 24 hours to allow all/most of the yeast to drop out of suspension. Then a two stage clarification process is undertaken by injecting around 300mils of the clarification fluid into the fermentation chamber and allowing it to sit, still at 2C for a further 24 hours and if you want super clear beer follow this up with a second 200mils of clarification fluid for another 24 hours. Note the clarification liquid is according to the label on the bottle is Colloidal Silica Dioxide. I now use a locally sourced product called StabiClar-30 as per the above but in most instances only do one clarification as I find that delivers a beer to my satisfaction. If I was to submit a beer into some sort of competition I would do a second clarification

From the above Williamswarn site you can download their user manual which has a section on the clarification process should you want further details

If you do a Google search for Colloidal Silica Dioxide you should be able to find out details and local suppliers most breweries use the stuff and it is also used in the wine industry which might give you a few leads if you know someone in those industries if Google doesn't throw up any likely leads in SA

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks Wonbly

Will google search. As a matter of interest can one still harvest the yeast? Presume alternative is to transfer to secondary fermentation vessel prior to clarifying.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Biofine Clear is popular with a few pro brewers I know. They do not use it in their primary for this reason, makes harvesting yeast more difficult - you end up with a sludgy, even hard, layer of yeast and stuff at the bottom of your vessel. They harvest their yeast from primary, add Biofine Clear to secondary then rack the beer into secondary.

BTW, Kerry, the makers of Biofine Clear, have a powdered isinglass product called Biofine. Isinglass is great, but just know that Biofine and Biofine Clear are different products.

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:34 pm

If we use biofine or gelatin in the keg at racking time, we are considering that the yeast has done all the job (fermentation plus maturation/conditioning) in the fermentor - the yeast will settle down inside the keg quite fast, and the only thing we are waiting for is clarity/finning, clean up yeast flavors and carbonation!! In the case of Lagers, "Laggering" time will shorten (15 days to do this job). Am I thinking right?

Nesto, in your Premium Lager, you decided to do the finning only after the classic Laggering, as I usually do.
Probably, if we decide to keep the beer in the primary for approx. 20 days (fermentation 7 days, dyacetil rest 3 days, slow cooling/laggering 10 days) and finning wiht gelatin/biofine at racking time plus carbonation (for 15 days), we'll get the beer from carboy to tap in 20+15 days. I think this a similar method to Narziss's, Tasty's and Brulosopher's ones. What do you think about it?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Wobbly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:37 pm

FKB
Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Thanks Wonbly

Will google search. As a matter of interest can one still harvest the yeast?

With the Williamswarn process yes you can/could very easily and if there is interest in an ongoing discussion about the Williamswarn it should perhaps be continued under a separate topic

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm

Got scoresheets back from NHC on this beer. It did very poorly at a the local MCAB qualifying event (maybe an infection?). But none other than Annie Johnson, 2013 Homebrewer of the year, scored it a 41! Really, I should hope she liked it since I took much of the recipe from her :drink:

Previous

Return to Recipes