American Light Lager

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

American Light Lager

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:23 am

We brewers in the US who like competitions are revving up our Braumeisters for the 2015 competition season. The National Homebrewers Conference is in San Diego this year and I, plus and at least one brew partner, am/are planning to go... any other Braumeisters thinking about going?

I can only hope that one of my beers can make it through to the 2nd round this time. Was shut out 2 years ago when I first entered. And last year I was just starting up with my BM20, so didn't get any beers done in time for NHC, but I did get a couple of other medals with my Weizen. This year I've had time to plan, but I'm still running up against it - I hope this lager is ready in time!

I got ideas for this recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and the 2013 Homebrewer of the Year Annie Johnson; her Light American Lager, Mow the Damn Lawn won that category. Brewing Classic Styles didn't have any step mashing ideas, but one article that covered Annie's recipe did. In addition to her two saccharification rests, I've added a short protein rest. Brew day is Sunday!

Here's the recipe...

Code: Select all
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nestweiser
Brewer: Ernie et al
Asst Brewer:
Style: Standard American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.20 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.91 l   
Bottling Volume: 19.91 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.91 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        77.4 %       
0.94 kg               Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         2        18.6 %       
0.20 kg               Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         3        4.0 %         
19.50 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.70 %] - Boil  Hop           4        6.4 IBUs     
19.50 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil  Hop           5        5.7 IBUs     
0.50 tsp              Wyeast Nutrient  (Boil 10.0 mins)        Other         6        -             
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        7        -             
1.0 pkg               American Lager Yeast (White Labs #WLP840 Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: 00_BM20, Light Body, No Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.05 kg
----------------------------
Name                   Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Protien Rest           Add 0.15 l of water and heat to 40.0 C  40.0 C        5 min         
Beta Amylase           Add 30.53 l of water and heat to 63.0 C 63.0 C        120 min       
Alpha Amylase          Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 70.0 C 70.0 C        10 min       
Mash Out               Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 78.0 C  78.0 C        5 min         

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Adjusted Excel sheet to account for error. Hold pre-boil as input and adjust OG down.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model: 20 litres

Re: American Light Lager

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm not sure if Annie brewed this on the Pico Brew or not but she is quite a brewer and the recipe should be good. That is a tough categories you picked for yourself Nestor. Good luck.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Lylo wrote:I'm not sure if Annie brewed this on the Pico Brew or not but she is quite a brewer and the recipe should be good. That is a tough categories you picked for yourself Nestor. Good luck.

I listened to an interview with Annie after she won in 2013 and the way she talked about her deal with Pico Brew it sounds like that came after. Although if I remember correctly, she did adapt the same recipe to the Pico Brew.

Although lagers are "tougher" to brew, I have a nice setup for them with the BM and a temp controlled fermenter. I actually picked this category (and the others I'm going after - Weizen and Cider) because they have fewer entries than the super popular ones - IPA, Stout, American Ale... well, that and I like to drink them :drink:

Unread postby malzrohr » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Nesto,

Is the 0.15L water addition at 40*C a typo? Also, I haven't seen a recipe before that mentions a maltose rest for 2 hours at 63*C so that makes me curious. I understand that @63 you get the highest % fermentability, but I was let to believe that even at those relatively low temperatures most of the β-amylase will have been denatured by that time. Can you elaborate a bit on the 2 hours mashing?

Hans
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:22 pm

malzrohr wrote:Hi Nesto,

Is the 0.15L water addition at 40*C a typo? Also, I haven't seen a recipe before that mentions a maltose rest for 2 hours at 63*C so that makes me curious. I understand that @63 you get the highest % fermentability, but I was let to believe that even at those relatively low temperatures most of the β-amylase will have been denatured by that time. Can you elaborate a bit on the 2 hours mashing?

Hans

Thanks for the catch Hans! I added a protein rest after entering the recipe and didn't switch the water addition to the first mash step in Beersmith... oops!

From my understanding (listening to the interview with Annie and also from BCS notes), the long rest at 63C will supposedly make sure the flaked rice is converted and keep the body light while still converting the 2 row malt. My understanding of the activity is that the beta amylase won't be denatured (that requires a temp above 65C), but the mash will run out of starch to convert. So the curves of activity (or fermentability) asymptotically approach their limit, usually after 60 mins, but there will still be some activity - particularly when you add adjuncts (like rice) that don't have their own enzymes.

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:39 am

Well, brew day went great. I was WAY above target on gravity, so I might have to enter it as a Premium or Regular Lager instead of a light lager. When you're way outside the norms (like a 2 hour rest at 63C) I've found BeerSmith doesn't always estimate things very well. I'll post my actuals once I record all the results.

Unread postby johnrm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:59 am

If you are over target at the end of your boil add some boiling water to hit the numbers. If you are under, you could boil some more but that would affect IBUs and flavor profile, in which case examine your recipe/ingredients/mash for next time around.
johnrm

Unread postby royco » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:02 am

Nesto wrote:Well, brew day went great. I was WAY above target on gravity, so I might have to enter it as a Premium or Regular Lager instead of a light lager. When you're way outside the norms (like a 2 hour rest at 63C) I've found BeerSmith doesn't always estimate things very well. I'll post my actuals once I record all the results.

Nesto you could just add soda water like the commercial guys do..... :roll: that's why I am not crazy about most comm lagers

Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 am

I knew right after the mash that I was going to be ~1 Plato too high, but I usually don't really care about it so don't add any top up water. And while I won't add any soda water, I am going to add some lime to half the batch!

Unread postby johnrm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Why Soda water? You mean carbonated water, correct?
johnrm

Unread postby royco » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Sorry, I thought that would be misinterpreted in some countries. Carbonated water is called soda water here in darkest Africa. :oops:
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Logged my numbers. Volumes were pretty much as expected, but OG ended up 1.056 vs. 1.047. I'm still working on figuring out the Beersmith anomaly (pre-boil to OG calculation is not correct) that usually means if you hit your pre-boil gravity, you will be short on OG. I put in some calculations in my brewing spreadsheet and procedures to account for the error and, of course, this time my actuals for both pre-boil and OG were BOTH higher than predicted!

Beersmith predicted 1.042 pre-boil gravity based on 76.8% mash efficiency, but this time I hit 1.047 (85.6% mash efficiency), presumably from the super long sacc rest.

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Nesto,
Please, post back your tasting notes and those from the competition when appropriate. I am really curious what a 2 hour maltose rest and WLP840 will do to the mouthfeel of the beer. I guess theory says it will be thin.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:13 pm

malzrohr wrote:Nesto,
Please, post back your tasting notes and those from the competition when appropriate. I am really curious what a 2 hour maltose rest and WLP840 will do to the mouthfeel of the beer. I guess theory says it will be thin.

I sure will. That's what I'm going for - a thin bodied beer - with the long and low temp sacc rest. I just hope that with the higher than expected efficiency, I don't get out of balance.

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Nesto,

Do you have good experience with flaked barley/wheat with the BM? No cereal mash and just through it with malted barley/wheat in the malt pipe? No fountain problems?

Just noticed in the your recipe the relatitvely low IBUs. Made recently a Lager/Pils with a similar hop additions as yours and it turned quite balanced... however, BJCP asks for quite higher IBUs for a Pils....
If you already noticed, Speidel's German Pils recipe has "only" 12IBUs (in Beersmith2)!!!
Asked Ralph about this wierd finding, but he is not used to Beersmith. Don't know if we need to adjust the hop utilization factor in Beersmith...

What is your opinion about this?

cheers
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Next

Return to Recipes