SNPA clone - first bm brew

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby we5ty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi all,
First brew on my new 20L - so I brewed a favourite session beer that has worked well for me before. Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone.
I have brewed this a few times before, altering chill/no chill, yeast and cascade hop nationality.

After writing this I have realised that beer smith has adjusted some things from the previous brews... So we will see what it turns out like!

Recipe:
SG 1.048
FG 1.013
Brewhouse eff: 75%
Ibu: 38
Ebc: 17

Briess pale 4.42kg
Simpsons med crystal 0.4kg
Calcium sulfate 25g
25L water

Dough in 38°
30m 63°
30m 69°
10m 72°
10m 76°

Sparged 10L water at 76°

60m boil
Hop additions:
60m Magnum 13g
30m Perle 16g
10m US cascade 25g
Whirlpool US cascade 35g

Yeast: rehydrated US-O5
Ferm temp 17-18°C
I plan on dry hopping when sg hits 1.015 with 2g/L US cascade (40g)

I'm still trying to work out the importance of mash rests, what does what ect.

Any tips or pointers would be most appreciated!

Westy
User avatar
we5ty
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:03 am

we5ty wrote:Hi all,
First brew on my new 20L - so I brewed a favourite session beer that has worked well for me before. Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone.
I have brewed this a few times before, altering chill/no chill, yeast and cascade hop nationality.

After writing this I have realised that beer smith has adjusted some things from the previous brews... So we will see what it turns out like!

Recipe:
SG 1.048
FG 1.013
Brewhouse eff: 75%
Ibu: 38
Ebc: 17

Briess pale 4.42kg
Simpsons med crystal 0.4kg
Calcium sulfate 25g
25L water

Dough in 38°
30m 63°
30m 69°
10m 72°
10m 76°

Sparged 10L water at 76°

60m boil
Hop additions:
60m Magnum 13g
30m Perle 16g
10m US cascade 25g
Whirlpool US cascade 35g

Yeast: rehydrated US-O5
Ferm temp 17-18°C
I plan on dry hopping when sg hits 1.015 with 2g/L US cascade (40g)

I'm still trying to work out the importance of mash rests, what does what ect.

Any tips or pointers would be most appreciated!

Westy


Hi Westy,

Here is a link to a google search that will give you a bit of reading regarding mash conversion. As you will see there are many pages to read and most are regarding experiments.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?gws_rd= ... of+mashing

I usually dough in at 38 to 40 and hold for 10 minutes then depending on thew grain bill I will run a protien at 52 for 10 mins and a beta rest at around 62 to 67 depending on what fermentability I want and then an alpha rest at 71 to help with final conversion and head retention and then mash out at 77.
I modify the mash to suit the ingredients. A 40 - 50 - 60 - 70 - 76 works well on German and Continental pilseners.

With regard to your recipe, is that a typo of 25 gramms of CaSo4.
I dont know what base water you are using but 25 gramms is around 5 teaspoons....I would imagine around 2.5 gramms unless you have water that has no minerals at all.

Good luck with your brew

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby we5ty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 am

Hi dicko,

Thanks heaps for that info. I have read some of the braukeiser website - I need to have a read before I have had a drink to make the science make more sense! but it is a pretty amazing resource.

on the CaS04 - I got my info from here: http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/ar ... rtreatment. I have realised that I have overdone the calcium in this batch by double! (I used to add 0.5g/L dry into my BIAB double batches as directed by the article - I probably didn't drop the rate down in beer smith like i should have!).

I didn't add any salts today to the hefe I brewed... I need to spend some more time with the head in the books I think to get it right.

Cheers,

westy
User avatar
we5ty
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 pm

we5ty wrote:Hi dicko,

Thanks heaps for that info. I have read some of the braukeiser website - I need to have a read before I have had a drink to make the science make more sense! but it is a pretty amazing resource.

on the CaS04 - I got my info from here: http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/ar ... rtreatment. I have realised that I have overdone the calcium in this batch by double! (I used to add 0.5g/L dry into my BIAB double batches as directed by the article - I probably didn't drop the rate down in beer smith like i should have!).

I didn't add any salts today to the hefe I brewed... I need to spend some more time with the head in the books I think to get it right.

Cheers,

westy


And remember, it's not the Calcium (that stuff is magic for a healthy ferment!) it's the sulfates (SO4). Depending on where your water starts, you might have ended up with SO4 above 500ppm (which is pretty high, but English breweries do fine with high sulfate water). Gypsum is notorious for dissolving very poorly, so your actual level in solution might be lower. It will highlight the hop bitterness, but too much will give a harsh bitterness and maybe some astringency.

If you want more about water, the Water book by Palmer and Kaminski is pretty good. I use this water calculator - EZ Water Calculator.

Here's a good simple intro to mash steps:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Got to agree with nesto, that the ratio of chlorides to sulphates is very important.

Just getting a little bit away from your recipe bit here is a link to AJ DeLanges take on brewing water.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewin ... er-198460/

98 pages of posts takes a bit of time to get through but with my last pilsener I thought I would run with his theory.

So far I am very happy with the result and I did not any gypsum to the brewing water at all.
It appears that the astringency I was getting in this style has gone and the high level of bitterness is a lot "smoother"
The beer is lagering at the moment so the final results are not yet out.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 am

Dicko wrote:Got to agree with nesto, that the ratio of chlorides to sulphates is very important.

Just getting a little bit away from your recipe bit here is a link to AJ DeLanges take on brewing water.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewin ... er-198460/

98 pages of posts takes a bit of time to get through but with my last pilsener I thought I would run with his theory.

So far I am very happy with the result and I did not any gypsum to the brewing water at all.
It appears that the astringency I was getting in this style has gone and the high level of bitterness is a lot "smoother"
The beer is lagering at the moment so the final results are not yet out.

:cheers:

AJ is a master! My water is so lacking in sulfates, I need to add some. But usually just 1g or 2g each of gypsum and epsom salt (MgSO4), depending on the style.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: SNPA clone - first bm brew

Unread postby we5ty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:48 am

Hi all,

I am going to have a bit of a look through all of those posts about water treatment - I just got ezwatercalculator - it seems I can add a more appropriate level of gypsum and a small bit of acidulated to get the ph down. I recently bought a ph meter as well so I can do some testing.

I am drinking this beer now - it is pretty good but nothing like the first one that I did (that I liked better than the original).

I think the 63-69-72 steps have given me quite a different malt taste and aroma. The hops barely shine through, even though I dry hopped with 2g/L. You can tell they are there - but the malt flavour overpowers it.

I will make this recipe again, but will probably try to copy more closely the original recipe - mash at 65ºC, mashout at 76ºC, and increase the dry hop amount to 3g/L.

cheers,

Josh
User avatar
we5ty
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)


Return to Recipes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests