Maple bourbon barrel aged imperial stout...

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Maple bourbon barrel aged imperial stout...

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:56 am

... with coffee and chocolate. Yeah, it's a mouthful to say and hopefully will be an awesome beer to drink. As I mentioned here...
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=544
a friend of mine bought me an 8 gallon (30 liter) bourbon barrel from Woodinville Whiskey Company. After making bourbon, it was also used to age maple syrup. I outlined how I was taking care of the barrel in that previous post. It's been sitting with citric acid/k-meta storage solution in it waiting for the beer to be ready. Here's the recipe I'm about to put in the barrel...

Code: Select all
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Brewer: Ernie et al
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 24.93 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.53 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.70 l   
Bottling Volume: 18.95 l
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 51.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.30 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        53.3 %       
0.65 kg               Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         2        8.1 %         
41.00 g               Magnum [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        50.3 IBUs     
14.29 g               Willamette [7.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           4        9.0 IBUs     
1.81 kg               Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min](8. Extract       5        22.4 %       
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         6        -             
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        7        -             
14.76 g               Willamette [7.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min       Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Ground Sumatran Coffee (Boil 0.0 mins)   Spice         9        -             
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         10       -             
0.47 kg               Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               Grain         11       5.9 %         
0.35 kg               Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         12       4.4 %         
0.27 kg               Carafa II (412.0 SRM)                    Grain         13       3.3 %         
0.21 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         14       2.6 %         
8.00 oz               Cocoa Nibs (Secondary 10.0 days)         Spice         15       -             
2.00 oz               Cold French Pressed Kona Coffee (Seconda Spice         16       -             

Mash Schedule: 00_BM20, High Gravity/Med Body, No sparge, Barleywine
Total Grain Weight: 8.06 kg
----------------------------
Name                   Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Acid rest              Add 28.54 l of water and heat to 40.0 C 40.0 C        5 min         
Alpha amylase rest     Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 68.0 C 68.0 C        60 min       
Mash Out               Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 77.0 C 77.0 C        5 min         

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Will use this as base beer to put into barrel and make into Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Might have to add some bourbon or refresh barrel with both bourbon and maple syrup to make sure to get maple bourbon flavor.

Did a light toast on the oats - 250F for 1 hour. Got aromatics without much browning.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using cold steeping for the dark grains, I made two batches in one brew day so that I'd have 40 liters of beer. 30 liters to put in the barrel and 10 liters that I'll keep in a keg for topping off/blending. One of the two batches went into my conical and the other into a carboy for primary fermentation. Once primary is complete, which should be pretty soon, I'll add chocolate with cocoa nibs and more coffee (some coffee went in at flame out). At the same time, I'll empty the citric acid/k-meta solution from the barrel and refresh it with some bourbon. Then once the nibs have imparted enough flavor, I'll rack the beer into the barrel and the keg until I'm happy with the oaking and I'll bottle it up!

Model: 20 litres

Re: Maple bourbon barrel aged imperial stout...

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 pm

In case you don't read my blog (why wouldn't you read my blog?!?), back near the end of December, the Maple Bourbon Barrel Kentucky Imperial Breakfast Stout finished primary fermentation and I transferred to two kegs to dose it with another round of coffee and cocoa nibs.

For the coffee, I used a cold steep method. I boiled some filtered water and let it come back down to room temperature. I used a 2 quart, sanitized plastic pitcher. Once the water cooled, I added 4 oz of ground Kona coffee and stirred with a sanitized spoon. The next morning (after 18 hours steeping), I ran the coffee through a large drip coffee maker. From 1.89 liters of water plus the 4 oz of coffee, I yielded 1.75 liters of finished coffee which I split evenly and poured straight into the two kegs.

For the cocoa nibs, I split 1lb (454g) of nibs into two Glad containers - 227g each. I soaked the nibs for 24 hours with 230ml of vodka in each container. Since I used a sealable container, I flipped it over halfway - that way you cover about half the nibs at a time and can use less vodka. Next I CAREFULLY poured the nibs into a sanitized hop bag over the fermenter so the vodka goes in the fermenter. I tied the bag off with sanitized kitchen twine so we could remove it easily when it was time to rack to the barrel. I stirred gently once a day. Since I had the beer in kegs, I was able to take samples to check how the chocolate flavor developed. Fourteen days with the chocolate and it was time to roll out the barrel!

To get the barrel ready, I rinsed out the citric acid/potassium-metabisulfite solution and put in 1.75 liters of Kirkland Canadian Whiskey in the barrel to refresh it. This whiskey came out much better than it went in, I have some whiskey loving friends who are going to enjoy it! Since that is not enough whiskey to fill it up, I rotated it 1/7 of a turn per day.

On barrel transfer day, I emptied out the whiskey and rinsed one more time. We initially tried a gravity/siphon to rack, but it turned out that wasn't really the best method - we ended up using CO2 to help the process along. After racking to the barrel, we have about 4 liters of beer left over to top off the keg if the angels steal too much.

Before transferring, I installed a "Vinnie nail" so we can take samples without having to open the bung. I'll sample every few days to see how the oak, bourbon, and maple flavors develop. This beer is already very nice. The coffee aroma is a little too much, I'm hoping that subsides, but the flavor is a nice blend of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted maltiness. First taste from the barrel, I can get a little hint of oak... can't wait!

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27 pm

Sounds yummy.. I want some!
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:13 am

bierfest wrote:Sounds yummy.. I want some!

Oh my, it is so good. I'll post a pic next time I pour some.

Finished at 1.024 (close to target of 1.022 - probably picked up some sugars from the barrel) and 49 days in the barrel. After taking it out of the barrel, it sat a "cellar" temp (the cellar being my garage) for 3 more weeks - mostly about 13 - 16C. Force carbonated to 2.3 volumes at 1C for two weeks so far. Will probably bottle up soon.

I think it came out pretty balanced between chocolate, coffee and bourbon with nice roast malt. There is a hint of maple in it, which balances the bourbon nicely. I will definitely make this one again.

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 am

Nesto wrote:

Finished at 1.024 (close to target of 1.022 - probably picked up some sugars from the barrel) and 49 days in the barrel. After taking it out of the barrel, it sat a "cellar" temp (the cellar being my garage) for 3 more weeks - mostly about 13 - 16C. Force carbonated to 2.3 volumes at 1C for two weeks so far. Will probably bottle up soon.

I think it came out pretty balanced between chocolate, coffee and bourbon with nice roast malt. There is a hint of maple in it, which balances the bourbon nicely. I will definitely make this one again.

Here it is!

2015-03-27 21.45.16.jpg
Northeast Kentucky Breakfast Stout (aka Maple Bourbon Chocolate Coffee Imperial Stout)

Unread postby Avispartner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 am

Nesto wrote:
Nesto wrote:

Here it is!

2015-03-27 21.45.16.jpg

Not even 9am and I am getting thirsty already... This looks and I am sure it tastes wonderful!
Avispartner

Unread postby bierfest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 am

Sometime in the future I would like to investigate barrel ageing. Could be a good idea for a "how to"
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:05 pm

it sounds and looks amazing!
dinnerstick

Unread postby HopSong » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:07 pm

After re-listening to the podcast.. and the link above.. I'll probably go back to the traditional steep.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby McMullan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:16 pm

I might have to put this on my christmas list, Nesto :cheers: why the acid rest?
McMullan

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:42 pm

McMullan wrote:I might have to put this on my christmas list, Nesto :cheers: why the acid rest?

Well, it's less of an acid rest than beta glucan rest (same temp range for both - 35C to 45C). I'm using well modified malts, so doing an acid rest doesn't have much effect. But even in well modified malts, a beta glucan rest can help improve efficiency by breaking down the cell walls and making the starch more available. It also seems to setup flow well - less temperature stratification and potentially less chance of wort fountains.

Unread postby McMullan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:21 pm

Nesto wrote:
McMullan wrote:I might have to put this on my christmas list, Nesto :cheers: why the acid rest?

Well, it's less of an acid rest than beta glucan rest (same temp range for both - 35C to 45C). I'm using well modified malts, so doing an acid rest doesn't have much effect. But even in well modified malts, a beta glucan rest can help improve efficiency by breaking down the cell walls and making the starch more available. It also seems to setup flow well - less temperature stratification and potentially less chance of wort fountains.

That makes sense, given the oats too :drink:
McMullan

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

For those of you who listen to Brewing Network shows (and even those who don't!), I took this beer onto Dr. Homebrew (I'm Ernie/Ernesto/Steve). Here is the iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dr. ... 13572&mt=2

You can also get to this on most podcast apps.

There was one flavor that the judges were able to help me with and JP had an excellent theory about how to avoid in the future.

Re: Rye whiskey barrel imperial stout... Regional NHC Winner

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm

I brewed the same basic recipe in the OP, but this time with a rye whiskey barrel (also from Woodinville) and left out the coffee (which had given a little green pepper note). Just got results yesterday that this beer won the Sacramento Region of the National Homebrew Competition for wood-aged beers! :beerbang:

Wish I had more of the original batch, but I expect I'll refresh the barrel with rye and brew again soon!

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 am

No sulphur candles then Nesto :D

Sounds great. Maybe a little bit jealous 8)
mashy

Next

Return to Recipes