What to brew? Going away for 6 weeks

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

What to brew? Going away for 6 weeks

Unread postby royco » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Will be going away for 6 weeks, leaving in 18 days' time. It is summer here so a lager would be ideal, but 18 days is probably too early for secondary and 6 weeks is too long to leave it unattended in primary as some temp ramping is needed.
I have read in Palmer's book that ales can be left in primary for a couple months without problems. Anyone had experience with this?
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: What to brew? Going away for 6 weeks

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Have done 4 weeks in primary before dropping trub without any signs of off flavors. I think as long as you're confident of your temperature control and pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast you'll be fine for at least a couple of months in primary. Making a big beer might take 3 or 4 weeks to even finish primary - that's been why I've left mine for 4 weeks.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:22 pm

i've done it many times, pitch healthy yeast and you won't have a problem. but to me it sounds perfect for a lager, no need to do a diacetyl rest if you leave it that long. research shows that a long time on the yeast at low ferm temperature -or- a raise in temp (diacetyl rest) will cause the yeast to metabolize diacetyl, check the graphs on braukaiser's page (halfway down) for an example of actual measurements
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ing_Lagers
dinnerstick

Unread postby ibbones » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 am

No professional here but I have made two or three lagers and let them ferment 12-15* for a few days and then over the next few days, drop the temp to about 2-4* and leave it for at least three weeks and one I let sit for almost 6 weeks. Turned out really clean and good.
Give it a try. Good luck.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 am

Thank you; I was hoping to hear that! I will do a lager. Here in Durban we have hot, humid weather for the next 4 months and a nice cold lager will go down well while contemplating mowing the lawn.
royco

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 am

PS: never seen Braukaiser. What a wonderful article on lagers. Thanks dinnerstick!
royco

Return to Recipes