First Saison

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

First Saison

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Brewing my first Saison tomorrow morning and I'm more excited about it,than a grown man should be... :beerbang:

Heres my proposed Recipe:

I limit my malt total to a max of 10.5Kgs. I find any greater is too tight for the pipe.
- 8KGS Pilsner
- 1Kg Vienna
- 1Kg Carapils EBC3
- 500g Acidulated Malt

2 packets Danstar Belle Saison Yeast( hydrate each sachet in 100ml of water for 15min prior to pitching)
1 Whirlfloc Tab
80min Boil
- 50g Cascade 7% 60mins
- 50g Casacade 7% 10mins

Mash Method
Ph1: 57C 15min
Ph2: 63C 35min
Ph3: 74C 35min
Ph4: 78C 15min

what you think? :beer:
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Model: 50 litres

Re: First Saison

Unread postby David » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm

ChillyMayne

Recipe looks good, but I am curious to know your starting volume of liquid (55L?) and also any additions/top ups during the brew. I just did a brew and I missed my target volume by a mile, so am curious to see how others compensate for grain absorption/ boil loss (and sparging if you do).?

Thanks

David

David
@davidreynoldsuk
David

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi David,

my starting volume was 55L.
I dont sparge and only added a whirfloc tablet at 17mins Boil, no other additions.
I dont tip the kettle over to get more wort either. Im happy to leave that dead space behind for the greater good of clarity!!

Thanks for your inputs :beerbang:
ChilliMayne

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 pm

ChilliMayne wrote:Brewing my first Saison tomorrow morning and I'm more excited about it,than a grown man should be... :beerbang:

Heres my proposed Recipe:

I limit my malt total to a max of 10.5Kgs. I find any greater is too tight for the pipe.
- 8KGS Pilsner
- 1Kg Vienna
- 1Kg Carapils EBC3
- 500g Acidulated Malt

2 packets Danstar Belle Saison Yeast( hydrate each sachet in 100ml of water for 15min prior to pitching)
1 Whirlfloc Tab
80min Boil
- 50g Cascade 7% 60mins
- 50g Casacade 7% 10mins

Mash Method
Ph1: 57C 15min
Ph2: 63C 35min
Ph3: 74C 35min
Ph4: 78C 15min

what you think? :beer:

Hope it comes out good! I like Cascade for my Saison's too - complements the yeast flavors nicely.

Curious where you got your mash temp step ideas? Haven't seen a 57C rest used before - is that for beta amylase? And what's the 74C rest for?

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Nesto,

I got the 57C Protein rest from a little research of Rochfort Brewery's Trappist/Abbey mash method. They claim it helps for fuller body and foam stability.
The 74C Sugar rest again is me mimicking theirs to help break down further starch components.

I like their beers.

Mashing in at 38C for every brew now has really helped me hit my desired OG every time.

This brew at 1.056 => 87.95% efficency :)
ChilliMayne

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am

ChilliMayne wrote:Hi Nesto,

I got the 57C Protein rest from a little research of Rochfort Brewery's Trappist/Abbey mash method. They claim it helps for fuller body and foam stability.
The 74C Sugar rest again is me mimicking theirs to help break down further starch components.

I like their beers.

Mashing in at 38C for every brew now has really helped me hit my desired OG every time.

This brew at 1.056 => 87.95% efficency :)

Ah yes, that's where I've seen it - Brew Like a Monk. Let us know how it works. I thought that seemed really high in the protease range, but maybe it helps improve head retention without affecting clarity as much?

If you want something to try next time, add a sugar source - Belgian candi sugar, honey, etc. With the 74C alpha amylase rest, you're might get a fair bit of unfermentable sugars, a little extra sugar will help dry the beer out. But see how dry you get this time.

Model: 20 litres

Return to Recipes