lets make some "kvass" from mashed leftover malts

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

lets make some "kvass" from mashed leftover malts

Unread postby bruulog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I have started to use leftover grains from mashing to make few litres of kali/kalja (ee) aka kvass (ru)
After I have completed mashing and sparging, I place the maltpipe above a larger bucket. While beer wort is boiling, I have time to sparge those malts to get about 5 - 10 litres of low gravity wort. I think 5-8 points above your estimated OG is good target. DO NOT! boil this wort.

Then I add about 30 gramms of bakers yeast (liquefy it first) and leave it to ferment at room (<22 C) temperature for about 24 h. Bottle it and move the bottles to cold cellar (<10C).

In about 2-3 days it's ready for drinking.

If it's too dry, add sugar or honey to your glass of kali/kvass and enjoy. Kids love this stuff.

Commercially made kali around here 0.0 ABV but is usually too damn sweet.

PS! You can make that stuff out of dark rye bread, if you can get your hands on a real thing.
Dry the bread slices, roast it slightly and you have a good base ingredient for awesome kali.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Re: lets make some "kvass" from mashed leftover malts

Unread postby malzrohr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Numbers please?
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:11 am

malzrohr wrote:Numbers please?

Traditionally, "kali" (Kilo, Alfa, Lima, India) was made from the sparge run-off collected after you got all the wort for your beer.
Around here, home made beer is on the sweet side and strong, you got plenty of unfermentable sugars to give you a sweet enough kali and less than 1% alcohol so it is fine for kids to drink.

Number are all there :)
grain bill is what ever is in the maltpipe
yeast is 30 g - 50 g will do
Gravity is few points (5-8) above your planned beer FG
If your FG is 1010, then you probably need no more than 1.016 and this will keep you under 0,8% ABV. You probably need to add sugar later, because it will be too dry for most of the Coca-cola-sugar-water guzzling generations (I personally do not drink any of that crap and never understood why people do)

If you are making a bigger beer, where your FG is estimated to be around 1.020 or something like that, you only need 1.026 and so, 1.028 will give you estimated ABV 1%, if it ends up at 1.020 in one day of fermenting.

You need activity from yeast to carbonate and give some of the taste for the drink. Alcohol is just a unneeded by-product in this particular case :)
bruulog

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:41 am

You mentioned dried and toasted dark rye bread. I love this stuff and thus have plenty of this at home. Can you give a guesstimate for the rye bread/(water | gyle) ratio?
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:12 am

5 l of water to 500 g bread is probably enough but you need to test it because bread can be very different.
"Mash" the bread with hot/boiling water but place the bread inside a cheesecloth bag, let it sit 2-3 hours. Remove the bag. Do not squeeze it.
I recall, then we let it sit more, so it cools down to room temperature while fine bread particles settle. It's probably a good idea to transfer it to new bucket, leaving more bread behind.
Add yeast and let it ferment. After fermenting, I move it to new bucket to get rid of the yeast. Taste it and add little bit of unfermentable sugar, if you like.
My dad adds 2-3 raisins to each the bottle. You can use honey too.

Remember, this stuff can go bad in matter of days. Make small patch to work out the recipe that works with the bread you have.
Kali is dark brown but light and a bit sour/sweet. It's a summer drink.
bruulog

Return to Recipes