The Weizen wins again!

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby RichM » Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Nesto - I've succumbed and purchased the ingredients to brew your recipe, only thing i couldn't get was the specific yeast so i've gone for WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast, the description says its less banana and clove and cleaner than the 300, so i'm hoping it will be ok.

It'll be a first for me, a first Weizen and a first yeast starter, my only question is, the yeast description says to ferment at 18-23c - normally i'd have considered this to high for a lager, so i'm assuming i ferment at the recommended yeast temperature to full attenuation, then lager as normal ?

Cheers
RichM
RichM

The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Nesto » Tue May 03, 2016 5:08 am

RichM wrote:Nesto - I've succumbed and purchased the ingredients to brew your recipe, only thing i couldn't get was the specific yeast so i've gone for WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast, the description says its less banana and clove and cleaner than the 300, so i'm hoping it will be ok.

It'll be a first for me, a first Weizen and a first yeast starter, my only question is, the yeast description says to ferment at 18-23c - normally i'd have considered this to high for a lager, so i'm assuming i ferment at the recommended yeast temperature to full attenuation, then lager as normal ?

Cheers
RichM

The classic Weizen is an ale, but I like to ferment at the low end of the range, 17-18C, to inhibit ester production. I've found the warmer it gets, the more banana and bubble gum for most hefe strains. Raise 3C for a few days for a diacetyl rest (helps clean up sulfur too) is good, but then chill and drink! Don't let it sit too long or the delicate hop flavors fade, which make a nice addition to the flavor.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby RichM » Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 am

[/quote]
The classic Weizen is an ale, but I like to ferment at the low end of the range, 17-18C, to inhibit ester production. I've found the warmer it gets, the more banana and bubble gum for most hefe strains. Raise 3C for a few days for a diacetyl rest (helps clean up sulfur too) is good, but then chill and drink! Don't let it sit too long or the delicate hop flavors fade, which make a nice addition to the flavor.[/quote]

Thanks i'll take this into account, with a lager i normally ferment at 12c then once its reached around 50% attenuation raise up the temperature by 3c every 12 hours till it reaches 19 and leave till it fully ferments out (normally another week) then rack to a clean fermenter and lager.

So on this occasion i'll ferment at 18C, (which is the lower end of the yeast strain temp range) raise to 21C for a diacetyl rest and then once its fermented out move to a secondary and chill for a further week
RichM

Unread postby RichM » Sat May 21, 2016 11:54 am

Had a go at this recipe yesterday, all was going well until i discovered that the seal on the malt pipe hadn't actually sealed correctly and on removing discovered loads of grain floating in my wort :shock: tried scooping a load out and eventually gave that up as a bad idea, so to plan B, drained of the BM to a clean plastic fermenter running the wort through a muslin bag and cleaned down the BM un clogging the pump, re filled from the plastic fermenter and because i'd aborted the programme manually boiled. Thankfully the hop schedule is just one addition at 90 minutes with finnings and yeast nutrient added at 80 mins.

Downside was a fairly low post boil OG of 1.040, though this inefficiency may be attributed to the pump probably getting jammed full of grain, on positive side, my yeast starter seems to have worked well and is bubbling away, if i can get it down to a low FG i'll end up with a 4.4% ABV which is ok as i was intending the Weizen as a summer session beer
RichM

Unread postby Nesto » Sun May 22, 2016 12:45 am

RichM wrote:Had a go at this recipe yesterday, all was going well until i discovered that the seal on the malt pipe hadn't actually sealed correctly and on removing discovered loads of grain floating in my wort :shock: tried scooping a load out and eventually gave that up as a bad idea, so to plan B, drained of the BM to a clean plastic fermenter running the wort through a muslin bag and cleaned down the BM un clogging the pump, re filled from the plastic fermenter and because i'd aborted the programme manually boiled. Thankfully the hop schedule is just one addition at 90 minutes with finnings and yeast nutrient added at 80 mins.

Downside was a fairly low post boil OG of 1.040, though this inefficiency may be attributed to the pump probably getting jammed full of grain, on positive side, my yeast starter seems to have worked well and is bubbling away, if i can get it down to a low FG i'll end up with a 4.4% ABV which is ok as i was intending the Weizen as a summer session beer

We've all had those days :/

Unread postby RichM » Sun May 22, 2016 12:47 pm

[/quote]
We've all had those days :/[/quote]

Indeed shit happens - did bring back memories from my 'Heath Robison" phase of brewing where fixing things on the fly were the norm :D

The yeast starter has worked incredibly well, i've had to change the air lock to a blow of tube this morning as it wasn't coping to well - a sure sign things are happening :D
RichM

Unread postby RichM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:15 am

Quick update on my Weizen attempt chaps

22 litres went from my primary to secondary fermenter this morning and back into the brew fridge for a cold condition, with the intention that 9.5 litres will go into my Keg on Monday and the rest bottled for a rainy day.

Although starting with a fairly low OG of 1.040 i've ended up with an FG of 1.007 which will give me somewhere around 4.3% ABV which i'm ok with as i'd intended this to be a lighter summery drink

Even without any carbonation it tastes pretty good, when you think to yourself " i could drink a pint of that right now" at 08:00 in the morning, then its gotta be pretty good, either that or i've an alcohol dependancy :D

Will report back when its in the glass

Cheers Nesto for the recipe :beer:

Rich
RichM

Unread postby royco » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am

RichM wrote: when you think to yourself " i could drink a pint of that right now" at 08:00 in the morning, then its gotta be pretty good, either that or i've an alcohol dependancy :D
Rich

Haha RichM, fear not. I was always horrified when seeing people drinking commercial lagers at a breakfast place. Then about a year ago I had to do a carb test early morning on a weizen and instead of dumping the beer had a taste and it was so good I drank the whole glass. I still could not stomach a mass-produced lager first thing in the morning, and in the afternoon only under extreme circumstances :drink:
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby royco » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:35 am

The last reply was double-posted. Is there a way to edit and delete? When I removed all characters I was told "too few characters" hence the numeral 1
royco

Unread postby RichM » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:07 am

royco wrote:
RichM wrote: when you think to yourself " i could drink a pint of that right now" at 08:00 in the morning, then its gotta be pretty good, either that or i've an alcohol dependancy :D
Rich

Haha RichM, fear not. I was always horrified when seeing people drinking commercial lagers at a breakfast place. Then about a year ago I had to do a carb test early morning on a weizen and instead of dumping the beer had a taste and it was so good I drank the whole glass. I still could not stomach a mass-produced lager first thing in the morning, and in the afternoon only under extreme circumstances :drink:

I can't stomach massed produced lager at any time of the day :D and even more so since i've started experimenting and brewing my own lagers, the commercial stuff tastes like 2 day old pee now.

The Weizen looks thin and watery, but tasted great, and reading up technically its an ale not a lager, its fermented with an ale yeast and not lagered

:beer:
RichM

Unread postby RichM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:39 pm

First taste and its rather good :D
Attachments
IMG_1331.JPG
Weizen
RichM

Unread postby Falcon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Nesto,

congrats on the wins and thanks for the recipe! I had a go at it and I have a question: the recipe calls for 30.35L of water for the ferulic acid rest, how did you fit this in your 20L BM?? I tried this but had to drain 2L while filling in the malt because the grains almost ran into the outer section. Then I had to drain another liter when the pump was circulating because the water was completely submerging the malt pipe and I wasn't sure if a proper circulation was going.
I ended up hitting 1.047 and fermentation has been going now for 10 days. Hope to enjoy my first weizen soon!!

cheers
Falcon

Unread postby judgecc » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Falcon wrote:Hi Nesto,

congrats on the wins and thanks for the recipe! I had a go at it and I have a question: the recipe calls for 30.35L of water for the ferulic acid rest, how did you fit this in your 20L BM?? I tried this but had to drain 2L while filling in the malt because the grains almost ran into the outer section. Then I had to drain another liter when the pump was circulating because the water was completely submerging the malt pipe and I wasn't sure if a proper circulation was going.
I ended up hitting 1.047 and fermentation has been going now for 10 days. Hope to enjoy my first weizen soon!!

cheers

Search for full volume mash here.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk
judgecc

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:44 pm

It's so tasty that I brewed it again!
bierfest

Unread postby Falcon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:07 pm

judgecc wrote:Search for full volume mash here.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

search where?
Falcon

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes