The Weizen wins again!

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:57 am

Ingredients ordered to make this...

The only thing I couldn't get was the same yeast, I've had to use Mangrove Jacks Hefeweizen yeast. I hope it's up to the job :roll:

Many thanks for sharing :beer:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Mr O wrote:Ingredients ordered to make this...

The only thing I couldn't get was the same yeast, I've had to use Mangrove Jacks Hefeweizen yeast. I hope it's up to the job :roll:

Many thanks for sharing :beer:

Definitely let us know how that yeast works!
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:59 am

Will do....
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby rocketman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm

I have made two batches, missed my OG both times, there is something that is not right when I use ~50% wheat in my BM20, had to boil for an extra 30mins
to get to target OG, but what a delicious beer, wife approved, so I will have more chances to make it right :) Thank you for sharing!
User avatar
rocketman
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm
Location: Sweden
Model: 20 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 pm

@rocketman are you using rice hulls? I use oat hulls as I can't get rice hulls here.
bierfest
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby rocketman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:05 am

I used oat hulls too, about 2% (100g)
User avatar
rocketman
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm
Location: Sweden
Model: 20 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 am

Do rice and oat hulls do exactly the same job?
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm

That's is similar to what I used.

@mr o they do exactly the same job. They don't add to the mash extraction.. Only help to filter the grain bed. Also useful on BM if you have a very small grain bill to help fill the malt pipe. I think recommend usage is up to 5% of overall grain bill
bierfest
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:10 pm

That's how I understood it, cheers for confirming
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks again for this recipe Nesto :beer:

I'm brewing it in the morning. BM is in the garage with water in it and ready to go.

I did read somewhere (on another site) that you should soak Rice Hulls over night before using them. Is this the thing to do?



EDITED - Do they need to take a particular place in the mash... top, bottom or just mixed in with the other 2 grains?

Cheers,
Mr O

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:36 am

Mr O wrote:Thanks again for this recipe Nesto :beer:

I'm brewing it in the morning. BM is in the garage with water in it and ready to go.

I did read somewhere (on another site) that you should soak Rice Hulls over night before using them. Is this the thing to do?



EDITED - Do they need to take a particular place in the mash... top, bottom or just mixed in with the other 2 grains?

Cheers,
Mr O

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers! Enjoy your brew day. It is a good idea to rinse the rice hulls before use - there is often quite a bit of yuck on them. Someone here (sorry, forget who, maybe one of the other mods) who made a tea that was pretty gross looking and not pleasant to taste with unrinsed hulls. I don't think a full overnight soak is necessary.

I stir them in about halfway through and then give my regular good stir to make sure they are well mixed in.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:04 am

Thanks for the reply

It's still dark here so I think I'll stick the BM on to warm up, have a coffee and I should be good to go :beer:
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby Mr O » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:56 am

Well here we go again.... Why can a brew day never be simple?

Every fu@king time I try to help my self it goes tits up.

As has been well documented on the forum and else where, why when I pay £1200 for brewing kit do I end up with a tap on the BM that isn't up to the job? I put my water in last night, this morning I open the garage door and see water in the floor due to a leaking / dripping tap. No idea now how much water in in the BM / on the floor.

Thanks a million Spiedel, isn't it about time you sorted this issue?
BM 20 - short malt pipe - hop screen -
User avatar
Mr O
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby judgecc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:38 am

Mr O wrote:Well here we go again.... Why can a brew day never be simple?

Every fu@king time I try to help my self it goes tits up.

As has been well documented on the forum and else where, why when I pay £1200 for brewing kit do I end up with a tap on the BM that isn't up to the job? I put my water in last night, this morning I open the garage door and see water in the floor due to a leaking / dripping tap. No idea now how much water in in the BM / on the floor.

Thanks a million Spiedel, isn't it about time you sorted this issue?

Darn. That's truly f@cked up..
Can't u just look at the center rod markings? Fill up what you need and kick of again? Or is it a abort today? Ive changed my tap but actually got some dripping last time. Its time to pick everything apart and solve this. I almost always fill water day before, mill grains and prepare water chemistry so its of to a running start.. Im suffering with you. Hate it when these things happens
judgecc
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: The Weizen wins again!

Unread postby airborn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Had the same problem

TWICE

But Speidel has changed the tap two times and now is not leaking - but tight- very tight
airborn
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests