Special Saison

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: Special Saison

Unread postby judgecc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 pm

@nesto.
Thank you for the inspiration to my newest saison. Its totally where I want it.. I did use a bit different hops and malts than you. But the candisyrap and honey makes wonders. Tasted a hydrometer reading today. 1002 with french saison wlp, great attenuation 1060 to 1002 that's perfect and crisp. Great mash schedule.. Looking forward to keg it.. Only thing thats a bit sad is my 10liter I thought about orval dreg.. Dosent feel its any use now.. Maybe togheter with sugar during bottling.. Hmm.. Thoughts?

judgecc

Unread postby Batz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Nesto wrote:
Mashman wrote:WLP 568

My favorite! Although Wyeast's new Private Collection 3031 (Saison-Brett blend) might end up being a new fav. I picked up 2 smack packs from a friend who went to the Craft Brewers Conference - it was the Mt Adams Blend and has turned out delicious.

I kegged and bottled (12 champagne bottles) of Saison using W3031 yesterday, looking forward to how this one turns out.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:46 am

judgecc wrote:@nesto.
Thank you for the inspiration to my newest saison. Its totally where I want it.. I did use a bit different hops and malts than you. But the candisyrap and honey makes wonders. Tasted a hydrometer reading today. 1002 with french saison wlp, great attenuation 1060 to 1002 that's perfect and crisp. Great mash schedule.. Looking forward to keg it.. Only thing thats a bit sad is my 10liter I thought about orval dreg.. Dosent feel its any use now.. Maybe togheter with sugar during bottling.. Hmm.. Thoughts?

Hmmm, interesting idea. From reading Tonsmiere (spelling?) and others, even when there isn't much sugar left, Brett, Lacto and/or Pedio (can't remember if it was one in particular or all) can still work on other precursors for flavor development. You do have to be careful with sugar dosing when bottle conditioning with a Brett mix. And probably good to make a little wild starter to be sure. Read Tonsmiere's book. Don't have it in front of me as I'm supposed to be sleeping ;)

Model: 20 litres

Special Saison

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:50 am

Batz wrote:
Nesto wrote:
Mashman wrote:WLP 568

My favorite! Although Wyeast's new Private Collection 3031 (Saison-Brett blend) might end up being a new fav. I picked up 2 smack packs from a friend who went to the Craft Brewers Conference - it was the Mt Adams Blend and has turned out delicious.

I kegged and bottled (12 champagne bottles) of Saison using W3031 yesterday, looking forward to how this one turns out.

Make sure to post tasting notes! (I don't think I did)

Unread postby judgecc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:34 am

The plan is to add the grown up orval dregs during bottling. With an FG of 02 I will take off 1.5co2/v and add sugar for 2co2/v.. Will use belgian bottles and try one each week.. But thats next weeks task. And a new dark strong brew of course..
judgecc

Unread postby judgecc » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:48 pm

judgecc wrote:@nesto.

Well.. The Rye dident make this saison as good as it should have been.. To much cara Rye..
judgecc

Unread postby rmklaw » Mon May 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Nesto, I noticed that you changed the original mash profile for the Saison. Which of your two profiles do you recommend? Thanks.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Nesto » Tue May 03, 2016 5:24 am

rmklaw wrote:Nesto, I noticed that you changed the original mash profile for the Saison. Which of your two profiles do you recommend? Thanks.

I like the 2nd one I posted in this thread. It's not all that much different. I eliminated the low mash-in temp and reduced the beta glucan rest to 40C and shortened it (read that too long can be counterproductive). The protein and 2 Sacc rests should be good and you can get away with a shorter mash-out rest than I used - 5 mins probably good enough.

Unread postby rmklaw » Tue May 03, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks Nesto. Love your brews.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby HopDaddy » Wed May 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Plz help... i will try to brew this beer tomorrow, candi sucar it is dark or light??? Maby a link to the right one...
HopDaddy

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby OllieBBommel » Wed May 11, 2016 4:39 pm

White candy
OllieBBommel

Unread postby Nesto » Sat May 14, 2016 5:44 am

HopDaddy wrote:Plz help... i will try to brew this beer tomorrow, candi sucar it is dark or light??? Maby a link to the right one...

Probably too late for your brew day, but I usually use Brun Fonce (Amber) - 36 SRM. It's not super dark. I'm sure light or dark would work fine too.

Unread postby rmklaw » Sat May 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Nesto: Your recipe is happily fermenting. Today is day seven and the alcohol level is up to 6.5 at 78 temperature (bringing it up slowly). I am using the BeerBug to monitor the fermenting SG is steadily going down.

I am wondering if with this strong fermenting, I should still crank up the temperature or wait till the last two days. Thanks.
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Unread postby Nesto » Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 am

rmklaw wrote:Nesto: Your recipe is happily fermenting. Today is day seven and the alcohol level is up to 6.5 at 78 temperature (bringing it up slowly). I am using the BeerBug to monitor the fermenting SG is steadily going down.

I am wondering if with this strong fermenting, I should still crank up the temperature or wait till the last two days. Thanks.

Yup! Keep cranking! 1C/1.8F per day up to 84. Now this assumes you like all those phenolics in a saison - I do :beer:

Unread postby rmklaw » Fri May 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks Nesto. This one is a beast. It just stopped bubbling today which is day 13. Should I plan on crashing it for a couple of days before kegging and aging?
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes