Special Saison

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Special Saison

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:41 pm

3rd time with this recipe, 2nd time on Braumeister. Love how this turns out. It's just about ready.

special_saison_ingredients.jpg
Ingredients

Actual OG was 1.068 and FG was 1.009 (odd that BeerSmith thinks WLP568 can only get to 1.017 with this) for ABV of 7.8%.

Mash profile - this was nearly impossible to do until I got the BM!

special_saison_mash_profile.jpg
Mash Profile

And finally, very important for a Saison, the fermentation profile...

special_saison_fermentation_profile.jpg
Fermentation Profile

It's summer here - around 32C highs - so not too hard to ramp up 1C per day from 20C up to 29C. I did have to use a heater in the evenings since temps fall to 15C.

Tasting notes...
Honey, lemon and orange nose. Hazy, dark golden/orange color. Characteristic Belgian lace. Coriander and white pepper taste with a clean and dry finish. Despite 8% ABV, no hotness from alcohol.

Last year I did a blind taste test of this vs Saison DuPont. This recipe won 6-0!

Model: 20 litres

Re: Special Saison

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:54 pm

:drink:
Sure I'm gonna try it

One question:
- why it is stated in mash profile as a "full body"?

I have in mind that sacharification temp. of 63C and 68C are for "light body" "dry" beers.
Isn't Saison a "light to medium body" beer?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 pm

I was going to ask you how this turned out.

Hope all went well in S.Cal with your wife and Keith.

I still haven't heard about my BM 20. I guess it's all prepared in Deutschland but the supplier hasn't yet received notice of shipment.

Bill
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote::drink:
Sure I'm gonna try it

One question:
- why it is stated in mash profile as a "full body"?

I have in mind that sacharification temp. of 63C and 68C are for "light body" "dry" beers.
Isn't Saison a "light to medium body" beer?

Haha. I noticed when I was going through my mash profiles that they are all misnamed. I often started with one profile and saved it, but didn't rename it. Yeah, with the two saccharification rests, it definitely turns out "light body", ie low FG. But still quite flavorful! Do like they way it turned out Bill.

Keith had good trip down south. Keith's MIL is in hospice care now. They're just trying to keep her comfortable. Thanks for asking.

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:37 am

Ha.. do I like the way it turned out?? I have no idea.. I haven't tried it.. BUT, I really enjoyed watching your process.

Be nice to try it.. but.. it's a l o o o n g drive.

I can't wait till my shiny new toy arrives......
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby KBK2006 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

Nice, added to my brewing list :)
"Build a plank and walk across the water"

###############
Brewed Batches so far: 16
since 2014-06-23
KBK2006

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 pm

HbgBill wrote:Ha.. do I like the way it turned out?? I have no idea.. I haven't tried it.. BUT, I really enjoyed watching your process.

Be nice to try it.. but.. it's a l o o o n g drive.

I can't wait till my shiny new toy arrives......
Haha, I meant I like the way it turned out ;)

Unread postby Nesto » Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Here is the recipe for my recent BM20 double batch of Saison. Same basic recipe as I originally posted, but added some Pilsner LME to goose up the gravity for a larger batch size.

We are fermenting the two batches with two different yeasts - one in our conical with WLP565 (no WLP568 available) and the other in a Speidel 30l fermenter for the Wyeast Mt Adams Blend, which has Brettanomyces - so it goes on the wild side of our brewery.

Code: Select all
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Special Saison (2.2)
Brewer: Ernie et al
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.62 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 38.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 35.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.58 kg               Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        54.3 %       
0.39 kg               Munich Malt (7.8 SRM)                    Grain         2        3.8 %         
0.33 kg               Wheat Malt (1.8 SRM)                     Grain         3        3.2 %         
0.20 kg               Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         4        1.9 %         
0.17 kg               CaraMunich 60 (60.0 SRM)                 Grain         5        1.6 %         
30.00 g               Magnum [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           6        19.9 IBUs     
18.00 g               Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           7        3.3 IBUs     
1.00 tsp              Wyeast Nutrient  (Boil 10.0 mins)        Other         8        -             
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        9        -             
25.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfruh [2.70 %] - Boil 1 Hop           10       0.2 IBUs     
17.00 g               Saaz [2.90 %] - Boil 1.0 min             Hop           11       0.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Belgian Saison Blend (White Labs #WLP565 Yeast         12       -             
1.0 pkg               Mount Adams Blend (Klickitat) (Wyeast #) Yeast         13       -             
1.35 kg               Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM)         Extract       14       13.1 %       
1.36 kg               Honey (1.0 SRM)                          Sugar         15       13.2 %       
0.91 kg               Candi Sugar, Amber (36.0 SRM)            Sugar         16       8.8 %         

Mash Schedule: 00_BM20, 5 Step, Saison
Total Grain Weight: 10.29 kg
Name                               Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Ferulic Acid Rest                  Add 34.50 l of water and heat to 40.0 C 40.0 C        20 min       
Protein Rest                       Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 56.0 C  56.0 C        15 min       
Saccrification - Beta              Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 62.0 C 62.0 C        30 min       
Saccrificatin - alpha              Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 68.0 C 68.0 C        15 min       
Mash Out                           Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 77.0 C 77.0 C        20 min       

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Test of max volume. Added approx 15 liters of water that was treated for pH and boiled. Added right after I put chiller in. Filled to 41.9cm, approx 38.5 liters. Will need to test how much volume the chiller coil displaced to see what volume was. Left 1liter in kettle trub.

Filled Speidel a little too much, ~21 liters. So I assume about 16 liters in conical.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:56 am

So this double batch has been lagering for 3 weeks now and fully carbed. The Mt Adams Blend turned out to be more interesting than the WLP565 - lemon and orange citrus, some peppery phenolics, and a nice barnyard funk. The funk isn't strong right now, but my experience with Brett B (my guess for the strain) is it will continue to get stronger over time. Since the 565 doesn't have the funk and the citrus, you get a heavier phenolic balance with it - still nice, but I like the Mt Adams better.

I started with the same wort, but filled the Mt. Adams fermenter (a Speidel 30l) first and then filled the WLP565 fermenter (a MoreBeer 7.5gal SS conical) with the rest of the wort. You can see the two in the pic I posted - the Mt Adams is on the right. Haven't used finings on either beer. You can see that the Mt Adams is still somewhat cloudy even though it got the clearest wort - maybe a little yeast action and maybe a little kettle trub exbeeriment (thanks Brulosophy). The WLP565 is pretty clear.

2015-07-07 21.22.41.jpg
Saisons

I actually harvested the yeast from primary for the Mt. Adams. I know it will change, but hearing Chris White talk about yeast blending at NHC this year made me just go ahead and see what happens to the next beer to get it!

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Slightly off topic but where did you find servomyces as an additive on beersmith. I couldn't find it anywhere or in any of the extension packs
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:26 am

bierfest wrote:Slightly off topic but where did you find servomyces as an additive on beersmith. I couldn't find it anywhere or in any of the extension packs

I think it was in my Misc Ingredients from the start? If not, you could always add it...
Screenshot 2015-07-08 19.25.00.png

I've switched to Wyeast Yeast Nutrient. Pretty close to the same stuff, but significantly cheaper.

Unread postby Mashman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:50 pm

I have brewed 5 times on my BM 20 to date 4 IPA/APA and a stout. Very pleased with all of them. I intend to brew a saison soon having sampled a St Feuillien Saison recently and reading the recipies and comments on this thread.. What water profile is best for this? I adjust the alkalinity for pale beers but not for stouts. My Total alkalinity is 269mg/L as CaCO3, Sulphate is10.5 mg/L.
Some forums seem obsessed with water treatment but I see little reference to it here.

Mick
Mashman

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:40 am

Mashman wrote:I have brewed 5 times on my BM 20 to date 4 IPA/APA and a stout. Very pleased with all of them. I intend to brew a saison soon having sampled a St Feuillien Saison recently and reading the recipies and comments on this thread.. What water profile is best for this? I adjust the alkalinity for pale beers but not for stouts. My Total alkalinity is 269mg/L as CaCO3, Sulphate is10.5 mg/L.
Some forums seem obsessed with water treatment but I see little reference to it here.

Mick

I am obsessed with water, but not in the way some folks are. I don't try to match regions' profiles, but rather try to hit a certain mash pH and Chloride/Sulfate ratio. For this beer, I target 5.3 mash pH and a balanced Cl/SO4 ratio. Here's the resulting water profile after additions of Gypsum, Epsom Salt, and Calcium Chloride...

Mash Water Profile:
Ca ppm - 81
Mg ppm - 15
Na ppm - 6
Cl ppm - 103
SO4 ppm - 106
Chloride/Sulfate Ratio - 0.97

Unread postby Mashman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:41 am

Thanks for that Nesto. Will aim for that profile when I get to do the Saison. I just need to build up my beer stock a bit first before I tie up my fermentation fridge for an extended period.
Mashman

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:33 am

Mashman wrote:Thanks for that Nesto. Will aim for that profile when I get to do the Saison. I just need to build up my beer stock a bit first before I tie up my fermentation fridge for an extended period.

One of the things I like about saisons is they like the warmer temps. I pitch at 20C, but then ramp up to 29C over the days after pitching :)

Next

Return to Recipes