Inktvis IPA, tried and tested Black IPA recipe!

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Inktvis IPA, tried and tested Black IPA recipe!

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 am

Here is probably my most popular recipe, this has been served in local pubs and on the festival scene around here. It's modeled on the 21st amendment back in black, which i tried a few years ago and loved, and then found that they gave their recipe on 'can you brew it'. I've brewed it on the BM loads of times, it's tweaked quite a bit but i think retains the spirit of the original, and the hop varieties. I make it with fullers yeast (wyeast 1968) started at 18 degrees and ramped up to 22 or so as fermentation proceeds, but if I want it a little bit dryer and the hops to pop a tiny bit more i use cal ale / s05 and ferment at 17. The two, although i've never tasted side by side, are pretty similar so either way is fine, but keep the temp down as very estery doesn't quite work with the hops and roast IMO.
The recipe has percentages (which i think add up to 102%... never mind), and also weights for a 25L batch in the 20L BM using a bit of DME to save room in the malt tube. You can get rid of the extract, increase the percentage of base malt, and scale as you like! But trust me you can't tell there's extract in it. I use english pale malt, thomas fawcett maris otter or golden promise as the base, and the crystal is thomas fawcett. I like weyermann carafa III (that's de-husked, very important) but have also used carafa II, and the torrified wheat can be replaced with wheat malt and there is no obvious difference. For those who need to do a multi-step saccrification, go for it. It's totally unnecessary IMO with these malts, but do what you got to do! The warrior can be switched to any high alpha bittering hop, shouldn't make much difference in this beer. The 2 minute hop additions are basically a flameout/whirlpool addition. The simcoe and centennial should give a good amount of piney citrus and hint of mango/tropical fruit from the simcoe, I have also tried it with a very small amount of citra and that's quite nice as well, but i would stay restrained on the tropical-fruity hops.
If anyone brews this please let me know how it comes out, and what you changed!

25L brew % g
pale malt 65 4.3k
munich 12 790
carafa special III 5 340
crystal 70 ebc 4 260
caramunich 2 150
torrified wheat 2 120
light DME 12 650

mash schedule:
52 15 min
69 90 min
78 15 min

hops:
warrior, 60 minutes, 32 ibu
centennial 20 m, 8 ibu
columbus 2 m, 0.5 g/L (13g)
centennial 2 m, 0.4 g/L (10g)
simcoe 2 m, 0.4 g/L (10g)
dry hop:
centennial 2.4g/L
simcoe 1.2g/L

OG 1.058 (1.045 before the DME, added at the end of boil)
FG should be around 1.010-1.012
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: Inktvis IPA, tried and tested Black IPA recipe!

Unread postby perdido » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Looks tasty... I've done a couple of
Black IPAs with the BM with varying results. Could you give us more details and tips on your dry hopping method ?
Temp and time mainly?
perdido

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:42 pm

pellets, thrown directly into the fermenter after fermentation is pretty much done (and yeast is harvested, if that is going to happen), about 5 days at ambient or cool temp (16-20), then cold crash.
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:15 pm

dinnerstick wrote:pellets, thrown directly into the fermenter after fermentation is pretty much done (and yeast is harvested, if that is going to happen), about 5 days at ambient or cool temp (16-20), then cold crash.

You don't transfer to secondary? I'm about to transfer my blackish IPA to secondary for dryhopping and cold crash.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby leosardinha » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm

I never transfer also, not worth the risk for me.

I ferment, d-rest, dry hop, cold crash and add gelatin, all in the same vessel
leosardinha

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 pm

i transfer to another vessel only if there is a good reason to do it, for example if the fermenter doesn't fit in the fridge to cold crash, or if i want to harvest the entire yeast cake. otherwise i don't see the point
dinnerstick

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Dinnerstick,

I see you're not affraid from "dying yeast" and trub in the fermentor! I have also sérios doubts about this myth
However, as a Reinheitsgebot's fan (in particular for Lagers) I would like to ask you how do you carbonate your beer ?
In a Bottle or Keg ? Sugar/DME or forcei carbonation ?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:19 pm

the dreaded dead yeast lysis phenomenon! no i don't fear this, as you say. it's maybe not a myth but something that simply does not apply to a homebrewer using a small fermenter, where the pressure at the bottom of the fermenter is nothing like in a giant cylindroconical vessel that big breweries use. in those giant tanks maybe the yeast can get stressed and lyse in the high pressure at the bottom, i have no idea, but in 20, 50, 100L tanks that we tend to use, and with a nice fresh healthy pitch of yeast, it just doesn't happen. i happily leave the beer on the yeast cake for 4+ weeks sometimes, and it is perfectly fine, but i am also careful with my yeast health, i grow up big pitches or use a lot of fresh dry yeast, and reuse yeast often but only when i know it's in good shape. i have no interest whatsoever in the reinheightsgebot, i carbonate however is most convenient. usually that means force carbonating but i also prime (with sucrose) and carbonate in the keg sometimes, especially for bigger beers that i want to leave alone for a few months before tapping.
cheers!
dinnerstick

Unread postby OllieBBommel » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 pm

As promised during UBF2016: I've made a clone of Inktvis, called Sepia. :D
Ingredients the same as yours except for the hops: Nugget, Cascade, Simcoe and Chinook.
OG: 1.060, FG: 1.010.
Main fermentation 4 days, secondary 8 days and bottled yesterday. :)
Can't wait for the result, maybe just in time for your new brewpub. :beer:
OllieBBommel

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby OllieBBommel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Tastes very nice with or without chocolate cake with lemon curd. :drink:
OllieBBommel

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm

great! if you come to kimchi festival, bring some! (we're there sat & sun but i'll only be at the booth saturday)
dinnerstick

Return to Recipes