Speidel Recipes

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 pm

just ordered the ingredient KIT for the Bavaria Mandarina Ale. did anyone get round to having a go at it in the end? it comes with dried yeast so thinking of changing that for a liquid one. Also any ideas about carbonation levels?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:07 pm

afternoon all,

i am wondering if anyone can help me out with the instructions of this recipe? they only mention starting gravity of 11 degrees plato, and no mention of target final gravity. i assume 11 degrees equates to 1044, if i've understood correctly.

however it isn't clear on what the final gravity should be or what the final avb will be? anyone through any light on this?

file:///C:/Users/rob/Downloads/speidel_brewing_recipe_ale_bavaria_mandarina_bm_20-litre%20(1).pdf

also the fermentation temp at 22, looks high for an american ale yeast- arent they normally 18 or 19
Onthebrew

Unread postby bierfest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Only one way to figure this out which is to try it.

Stick the figures into beersmith and it will give you a guesstimate of FG.

my thoughts are just to plug your yeast in an let it do its thing. Once you get down to about 1.012 or less you are not doing bad. The yeast will let you know when its done. I'm sures lots of others will disagree :D

As for temperature this seems to be within the upper range for US 05 - http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... -05-en.pdf But thats what the recipe calls for. You could try and split the batch into two 10 liter batches and ferment at different termperatures (in the name of science) if you have the equipment to let you do that.

Generally if doing a recipe from somebody else - I normally follow it first time and then based on what i taste I adjust the next time I do it.

But that's only my thoughts....
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Ok cheers briefest. To complicate further I ordered liquid yeast instead. Wyeast American ale but happy to try higher temps, hoping for better results from my first two brews, both of which had a oily mouth feel, diactyl seemingly.
Onthebrew

Unread postby bierfest » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:06 pm

If its the Wyeast 1056 American ale you ordered then 22 is also right at the top of this range (18 - 22 celcius) - https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/american-ale

I guess that this yeast will have a different effect on the beer than US 05 but thats the fun of this hobby i guess - trying new stuff!

Some others on here might be better placed to give advice on the effects of this yeast at various temperatures.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Ice » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello!

I'm a beginner and I have a problem to understand the styles of the recipes...for example I know IPA is India Pale Ale and Smoked Beer is Rauchbier but the other wheat beer, oak flavoured, blackberry etc? Thanks
Ice

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby BigT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 am

Greetings Niels
I see you have my facebook avatar :D
We will have to meet when I get to Belgie next April.
Regards
BigT
BigT

Previous

Return to Recipes