BM Festival Beer

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

BM Festival Beer

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Hey guys!
Have anyone tried the BM Festival Beer?

speidel_brewing_recipe_festival_beer_bm_20-litre.pdf
Festival beer 20l (Speidel)
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
speidel_brewing_recipe_festival_beer_bm_50-litre.pdf
Festival beer 50l (Speidel)
(38.76 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Note: Added the recipes to the post for easy reference. - Niels
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Re: BM Festival Beer

Unread postby niels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:46 pm

I didn't try it yet. Is this meant to be an Oktoberfest beer?

Besides the CaraPils and the Saflager S-23 I have everything in stock to brew it... Might give it a shot too...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 pm

niels wrote:I didn't try it yet. Is this meant to be an Oktoberfest beer?

Besides the CaraPils and the Saflager S-23 I have everything in stock to brew it... Might give it a shot too...

- Niels

Yeah Niels, I've never tried either.
The funny thing is that I see a lot of people with the BM machine and no one saying anything about Spiedel's recipes.
It has to be good!
Made by the Germans the same guys that came up with the Braumeister, it has to be good!
Really strange...but I'll give it a try.
Don't think it is an Oktoberfest/Märzen beer as it does not meet the BJCP style guidelines.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby mrpilsner » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Victor & Niels,

I, too, have wondered why there is no chatter of the furnished recipes. I've had the BM and the recipes for a week now, poring over the details, waiting my generator (arrives TODAY!) to begin brewing.

I've entered all of them into my iBrewmaster (just upgraded to version "2"!) software and intend to use them as I pursue this pilsener goal of mine.

I agree, Victor, that they would not publish them if not confident they match the machine well.

I don't expect to brew the Festival recipe for awhile but their Pilsner will be my first brew. Yeah, you could say I'm stoked to begin!

tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:40 pm

That's exactly what I think Tom, it wouldn't be wise to put such an effort on a huge plant to manufacture brewing machines (not cheap at all) and have a lousy recipe.
I'll also try the pilsner as my goal like you, it's to have a great lager.
Happy brews!
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Any idea why Speidel recipe for Festival beer (with 50% grain of Munich malt) has an alfa-amylase rest twice the beta-amylase one?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby hughjampton » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Victor Coelho wrote:

- Niels

The funny thing is that I see a lot of people with the BM machine and no one saying anything about Spiedel's recipes.
It has to be good!
Made by the Germans the same guys that came up with the Braumeister, it has to be good!
Don't think it is an Oktoberfest/Märzen beer as it does not meet the BJCP style guidelines.

It looks like a good recipe to me. I'll definitely try it. Some of the best beers in the world don't meet the BJCP style guidelines. People were brewing good beer for more than 10,000 years before they were invented by a bunch of American trophy hunters. I suspect that some of the styles were invented by people who'd never tasted the beer they were categorizing. Many of the styles are based on falsehoods, for instance Scottish beer was never less hoppy than English beer..

You could make the best beer ever tasted anywhere in the world, a beer so sublime that nobody who tasted it would ever again want to drink anything else yet an American Judge could mark it down because it was slightly too dark in colour or it used the wrong hops. No, the best thing you can do with the BJCP style guidelines is to ignore them. Unless of course, you want to enter a competition based on them.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:06 am

+1000!
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:09 am

hughjampton wrote:
Victor Coelho wrote:

- Niels

It has to be good!

It looks like a good recipe to me. I'll definitely try it. Some of the best beers in the world don't meet the BJCP style guidelines. People were brewing good beer for more than 10,000 years before they were invented by a bunch of American trophy hunters. I suspect that some of the styles were invented by people who'd never tasted the beer they were categorizing. Many of the styles are based on falsehoods, for instance Scottish beer was never less hoppy than English beer..

You could make the best beer ever tasted anywhere in the world, a beer so sublime that nobody who tasted it would ever again want to drink anything else yet an American Judge could mark it down because it was slightly too dark in colour or it used the wrong hops. No, the best thing you can do with the BJCP style guidelines is to ignore them. Unless of course, you want to enter a competition based on them.

Here! Here! well said. +1
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 am

hughjampton wrote:

If a beer doesn't meet certain style guidelines, it can always be entered into Specialty category within a competition. :beer:

Unread postby mrpilsner » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Dicko wrote:Here! Here! well said. +1

Agreed!

Hadn't heard it phrased that way but my recent relocation experiences bear it out.... meeting brewers in Oregon and here in Texas, at club brews, in homebrew shops and in taverns the common question was whether I'd won anything.... and they seemed dismayed to learn I've never entered anything....

Furthermore, I've wondered too why so many of these guys HAVE won "something" for their efforts.... frankly, I chuckle at their cheesy little ribbons and trophies they're quick to share photos of....

I sense I'm in a minority here and I like it! Asians, Europeans and Aussies and South Americans and South Africans, all better brewers than I! Gosh, I'm far away from the west side of Chicago!

tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm

This is probably going OT now, but why do Americans go for massive IBU's and massive hops? Is it because those flavours mask brewing flaws or is it a macho thing, a bit like eating the hottest curry you can stand (but then all the delicate flavours of the meat and veg have disappeared under the overpowering flavour of spice and heat) :D I just don't really get those flavours, there's no balance to the beer, but each to their own!

Brewing competitions are fun, I've entered a couple of beers at a fun weekend piss-up errr homebrew festival, not expecting to win anything but was pleasantly surprised to come away with ribbons and a feeling of self satisfaction that my beers are drinkable by other people than myself, but people will take them seriously regardless, just as they will take their sport seriously.......

anyway back to the topic, has anyone brewed a BM recipe yet?

:drink:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby niels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:12 am

I just noticed that both the 20l and the 50l version of the recipe call for 1 sachet (11.5gr) of Saflager S-23 yeast.

The OG is 12°P (or 1.048 SG) and putting the numbers in Mr Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator gives me a recommendation of 1.8/4.5 sachets of 11.5gr for the 20l/50l version. Mr Malty might be a bit pessimistic, but it is a big difference (especially for the 50l version)...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Niels,
This is probably some translation error or something of the kind.
I've always worked with BS and it gives me a 3 pkgs (11.5g/pack) for BM20.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:46 am

I've read pretty mixed results from S-23. Supposedly it can come out pretty fruity. Otherwise, it looks like a pretty straight-forward, decent recipe.
Elderberry

Next

Return to Recipes