Speidel Recipes

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:59 pm

airborn wrote:Thank you

As I've apparently been able to live for 60+ years only distinguishing between likes and dislikes I surely lack some knowledge about tastes in beer.

So in short: I would really like both recipes so I can brew them and learn the differences.
Honnestly I do not know the difference between an English style and an American IPA...


the short(ish) answer: british IPA is like a hoppier and slightly bigger version of an english bitter or pale ale. think well rounded, malty, slightly bitter, bit of an english dry hop like east kent goldings. a balanced beer, but a tiny bit hop forward.
american IPA is a platform to feature hop flavors and aromas, usually higher alcohol but not too rich or malty, more bitter, and with loads of late and dry hops, traditionally american varieties but can be anything, usually heavy with floral, fruity, piney aromatics. a hop bomb.
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:19 pm

For anyone wanting a nice reference for tried and true recipes, I always recommend Brewing Classic Styles. If you look at the winning recipes in competitions, many are still pretty close to these from Jamil and friends.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby airborn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:01 pm

But Brewing Classic Styles looks like extract brewing not all grain
airborn
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm

airborn wrote:But Brewing Classic Styles looks like extract brewing not all grain

At first glance it does, but every recipe has an all-grain conversion paragraph. The down side for us Braumeisters is that I think all recipes are single infusion - no step mashing. For some recipes, Jamil or others have posted step mash guidelines online. I know the Weizen recipe I use from BCS has been updated for step mashing in BYO here: http://byo.com/stout/item/2265-german-h ... le-profile.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Airborne I'll knock up a couple tonight and post them here. Both styles are yummy.
User avatar
Andy_Chil
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am
Location: South Gippsland
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:40 pm

airborn wrote:Honnestly I do not know the difference between an English style and an American IPA...


My thoughts are that a traditional English Bitter is usually around 35 IBU and uses traditional English hops such as Goldings, Fuggles and Challenger, low hop aroma but floral, maybe some spiciness and malty and balanced with the hops with approx 1-1.5vols CO2 for carbonation, medium to heavy body, an English IPA is more highly bittered using the same hops and with more aroma, less maltiness, more hop forward and carbonation is around 2 vols, medium to light body.

American style is even more highly bittered using 'new world' hops that are often citrussy, spicy and in your face aroma, totally hop forward, little to no maltiness, lighter body, carbonation 2-3 vols.

EDIT: I see dinnerstick got there before I caught up with the thread :beer:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:45 am

Righto Mr Airborn

As promised. The American looks a cracker but pushes the 20litre BM a bit with grain capacity.

English IPA
23 litres
OG 1052
ABV 5%

5.25kg Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
420g Simpsons Medium Crystal

Mash in at 55
67 for 60min
78 for 10min

90 min Boil
30g Challenger at 90min
18g East Ken Golding at 10min

Ferment with Safale S-04

American IPA
23 litres
OG 1066
ABV 5%

6kg JW Export Pilsner
220g Weyermann Carafoam
220g JW Crystal

Mash in at 55
63 for 40min
70 for 50min
77 for 15min

60 min boil
25g East Kent Golding at 60min
15g Willamette at 45min
28g Cascade at 20min
28 Amarillo at 10min
28 Amarillo at 5min
28 Cascade at 5min
28g Amarillo Dry Hop at 3 days

Ferment with American Ale WY-1056
User avatar
Andy_Chil
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am
Location: South Gippsland
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby airborn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks a lot Andy Chil

Your my hero on the other side of the planet. :cheers:

I will study the recipes and probably return with some questions on how to.. :?
airborn
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby airborn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Here I am already :oops:

It seems to be wellknown malt-brands in Australia but I have not found them in Europe.
So I have to find something as close as possible - I guess :?
airborn
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 pm

airborn wrote:Here I am already :oops:

It seems to be wellknown malt-brands in Australia but I have not found them in Europe.
So I have to find something as close as possible - I guess :?


Hi airborn, please excuse my ignorance. I didn't even look!!

Sub the JW Export Pilsner for Weyermann Pilsner (or any other Pilsner base malt).
Sub the JW Crystal for the Simpsons Medium Crystal or Weyermann Carmunich II

JW is Joe White, the main Malt House down here.
User avatar
Andy_Chil
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 am
Location: South Gippsland
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:01 pm

don't worry about the maltster at this point, it is important if you are really trying to duplicate a beer or hone your recipe, but if you are just trying to make a nice beer to start out, get some fresh malt and follow your recipe as much as is practical. you can make an ipa with german pilsener malt, or a german lager with english maris otter, and it will come out fine, if not super authentic. the thing is, control of fermentation is far more important than choice of malt when you're starting out, so work clean and ferment it well and you'll make a good beer. you can fine tune the malts later. that's my opinion anyways.
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 am

airborn wrote:Thank you Andy.

As I am expecting my BM20 any day now and never have brewed anything before I would really appreciate a recommendation for at nice IPA.


congratulations on your purchase.. I'm a new owner too. Let us all know how your journey goes!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:03 am

Nesto wrote:
airborn wrote:But Brewing Classic Styles looks like extract brewing not all grain

At first glance it does, but every recipe has an all-grain conversion paragraph. The down side for us Braumeisters is that I think all recipes are single infusion - no step mashing. For some recipes, Jamil or others have posted step mash guidelines online. I know the Weizen recipe I use from BCS has been updated for step mashing in BYO here: http://byo.com/stout/item/2265-german-h ... le-profile.


why do you say "The down side for us Braumeisters is that I think all recipes are single infusion - no step mashing."? Why not just step-mash the recipe you want? That's what I've done, not sure there is any harm and I'm feeling like I've made better beers!

as far as step mashing goes, what are some AWESOME step-mashed recipes? Perhaps this is what neils is intending to create...
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:50 am

redwing_al wrote:
Nesto wrote:
airborn wrote:But Brewing Classic Styles looks like extract brewing not all grain

At first glance it does, but every recipe has an all-grain conversion paragraph. The down side for us Braumeisters is that I think all recipes are single infusion - no step mashing. For some recipes, Jamil or others have posted step mash guidelines online. I know the Weizen recipe I use from BCS has been updated for step mashing in BYO here: http://byo.com/stout/item/2265-german-h ... le-profile.


why do you say "The down side for us Braumeisters is that I think all recipes are single infusion - no step mashing."? Why not just step-mash the recipe you want? That's what I've done, not sure there is any harm and I'm feeling like I've made better beers!

as far as step mashing goes, what are some AWESOME step-mashed recipes? Perhaps this is what neils is intending to create...

Oh, I just meant Jamil doesn't offer much guidance for step mashing in the book - what IS fortunate is that we have this forum to help us figure out how to take advantage of our beautiful machines! I've dialed in a nice mash schedule for Weizens (here). Working on a Light Lager mash schedule this weekend.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Speidel Recipes

Unread postby airborn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:37 pm

Andy

Tell me a bit about volume.
You just write 23 liters?

I have tried to put it into Beersmith2 but being my first attempt - I'm not sure at all so
I would like to know your start - possible sparge - before boil - after boil

If you know the numbers - that is :cheers:
airborn
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 pm
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest