recipes for critique?

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

recipes for critique?

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:58 am

Anyone have any comments,good ,bad or indifferent on these planned sketches? The quest is for "juicyness", but not sure if this is what it takes. Anyhoo , if anyone can spot any deliberate or otherwise mistakes, shout out before I drop another howler, eh?
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 10.7 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 17.8 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 6.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.9 IBUs
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.3 IBUs
20.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

And for my next impression.....
5.00 kg Lager Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 6.9 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 6.7 IBUs
5.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 2.6 IBUs
15.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 6 7.2 IBUs
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
10.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.4 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 1.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml]

Looking to go without dry-hopping on these , to see how it compares with all previous brews ,which have all been dry-hopped to one degree or another. Crtique invited. Ribald or otherwise. :D
"Wilt uw oud graven zijn,
drink beer in plaats van medicijn!"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fatbloke_dim/sets . my beery pix!!!!
Fatbloke-Dim

Model: 20 litres

Re: recipes for critique?

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am

As i understand it juicyness comes from minimal bittering hops and lots of late editions, a big hop stand and lots of dry hopping. i also have read chloride helps the mouth feel here too. maybe even using an English yeast instead of neutral.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Not sure what you mean by "juicyness" if you are trying to reduce/roundout the bitterness you want to add the hops later. Say 30 mins into a 60 min boil, some flame out. If you want banging hoppy nose. well after boil - 2-3 days into ferment.

I also think you've got far too many steps in their of the same hot - a few minutes is not going to make a difference.

Probably saying the same sort of stuff as OTB.

Looking to go without dry-hopping on these , to see how it compares with all previous brews ,which have all been dry-hopped

I predict the hoppy nose will be much reduced. If that is your goal, You will get a more floral taste, but less perfume scented.
mashy

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 pm

HMMMM.....
Seems I have much to learn methinks. I considered reducing the bittering hops at start of boil, and to a degree I've done this- normally woulda dumped 50 or 60 grams in at start ! Not wanting to reduce any "nose" , as hop perfume is good . What I want to lose is not so much the bitterness as such , but the nature of the bitterness I have achieved so far- a bit sharp , not quite astringent as in the off-taste use of the term , but not a "rounded" or "rich" kind. If that makes sense . Not much in my life does . Was thinking that mid- to late boil as "flavor" hops. As for cutting out the dry stage, this I figured ought to give me some comparison to those brews that have been dry-hopped, and thus I could judge the effect of same. So would it be best to combine some of the additions, or alter the amounts? Or just junk some of 'em? Just after a nice, refreshing American-style Pale, not really a hop-bomb of megaton yield . I have calcium chloride and lactic acid in me box o' trix , so should get the ph right for 't mash , and the chloride is said to enhance hop flavor, too . Thanx all for the guidance, I'll get there if I listen to good advice freely given. :beer:

Fatbloke-Dim

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 am

Keep it simple.

Why don't you find a commercial beer you like.
There is probably a recipe for a clone. Try that.
Share it here and we can help.
mashy

Unread postby uk_brewer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Only one small charge of buttering hops, the rest go in the whirlpool. Hit some dry hops day 1 for bio transformation. You’ll need to use wyeast 1318 or similar. 1.75 - 2:1 chloride to sulphate in your water.
Ditch the c60, use a touch of honey malt, add a good portion flaked wheat and oats.
uk_brewer

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Cristian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm

in my opinion, you should use cheaper hops for bittering (30 min up). for example, magnum or any cheap high AA hops for bittering purpose. what software are you using? I am not sure if flameout additions will add 0 IBU but more (btw, dryhop also adds IBUs. I discovered after 400g of dryhops :? ). I personally add bittering hops at the beginning to achieve most of the IBUs and then work on the floral/tropical taste with late additions (5 min or less). about 3%carapils will help your head retention in case you look for it.
Good advise from Mashy, look for a clone and try to replicate it according to your taste.
Cristian

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Right...

I done 'em. Got some chloride, and put in 2g for the brew with Maris Otter and Crystal ,with 8g gypsum . Got me ph of 5 . Second sketch with the lager malt and Carapils, 3g chlride, 8 o' gypsum ,got me a ph of close to 6 ,so 3 ml of lactic acid went into the mash for no ph change ,and not wanting to impart any detectable lactic taste, left it at that.
What I DID do , was alter the hopping schedules for both ,with only 10g at 60 minutes to bitter , of a 75 minute boil . All other additions were within the last 20 minutes at 5 minute intervals , and some were grouped/combined . We'll see what ensues. For sire another case bof making it up on the fly. Again. I use Beersmith, but what it says to do ,often gets done differently. Not planning n dryhop ,as it only gets lost after a short time in the keg, and these brews tend to last me about 3 months. 400g of dry-hop??? Ay caramba! Thought I'd overdone it with 50-60 g ! Gave that severe , dry , cigar tobacco taste ,which for my palate only works at very low levels.
There's many commercial brews I like ,and clones for 'em , too mostly , but I figured that I may just achieve something I like by a happy accident, rather than attempt a clone that may bear no resemblance to it's prototype. My excuse , anyway. :D

Fatbloke-Dim

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:37 am

So far, so good!
A week after brewing ,hydrometer samples are showing progress - not much different to previously there - but not wishing to dump the samples , they get swigged ,purely as an investgative thing , an inkling of how things are going and a clue to the resulting brew . By gum! These are shaping up way better than all previous endeavours ,I put this down to treating the water and aiming for a good mash ph. That and listening to the advice offered on here when I asked for recipe advice. Sometimes it really DOES pay to listen....my teachers were right after all !! Blast 'em! :twisted:

Fatbloke-Dim

Unread postby Cristian » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

show us a picture at the end :drink:
Cristian

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Pic likely,things are slowing down now, the brew with the Crystal is stalled at 1.020 ,lager one at 1.022. Racked to secondary ,temp now up to 20c drom 18 , give it a week and haldf ,then into pressure barrels and slowly drop to `12c and 2 weeks at that. then chill to quaffing speed for a week and there ya go . These are tasting much closer to commecrial brews that I've had ,but still not quite how I wish 'em to be . Better than a lot of "meh" beers I've swigged of late. Just in time for our epic heatwave to fizzle out. All that heat and no beer in me garden.........bugger.

Fatbloke-Dim

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 pm

In response to 383. A bit late, as it's now almost gone. How I make it last this long? Because there's a new micro-pub around the corner, too bloody convenient by half!! At least the brews have a chance to age a bit. The pale brew, with Lager malt and Carapils, we named "Garden Tap Pale", has turned out tasting like a lower-strength Belgian Tripel ,something like a "Paters bier", several varieties of which I have tried on my Belgian sorties. The darker, browner brew , we named "Frog Watcher", has come out akin to a Bet Bitter,quite caramely ,slightly sweetish ,bitterness in keeping with other elements of the flavour. All I have to do is figure out how to post the pix.
Trying without success to hotlink from Flickr. Used to work well ,but now gives me fits. Got one, at least.Others won't work.....Right. Bloody hell ,that took some doing. Never used to have to wrestle the electrons this much to get things done. However.....first 2 are "Garden Tap Ple", second 2 are "Frog Watcher".

Fatbloke-Dim

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Nice clarity!
Onthebrew

Return to Recipes