Plum Beer.

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Plum Beer.

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am

Walking by the farm this morning and it looks like a bumper crop of wild cherry plums, the framer says I can take as much as I like providing I drop him down a few samples. This got me thinking about moving away from the usual Belgian lambic style for something different. First up would be a smash brew with maris otter and bramling X or a california common with 5-6kg in a 20litre batch. Any thoughts or advice please.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Plum Beer.

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Try a saison with plums. The Kernel has a very nice one.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby tsgreen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Bigstew wrote:Walking by the farm this morning and it looks like a bumper crop of wild cherry plums, the framer says I can take as much as I like providing I drop him down a few samples. This got me thinking about moving away from the usual Belgian lambic style for something different. First up would be a smash brew with maris otter and bramling X or a california common with 5-6kg in a 20litre batch. Any thoughts or advice please.

I am curious as to what you decide. I have a bumper crop of the plums and gooseberries, which I was thinking a simple ale.
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:31 am

Plum eau de vie ? Quite frankly anything but beer.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Plum porter is now in secondary phase, just halved the 6kg of plums and added to the fermentor. Thus far 5 days no off aromas and its fermenting at a nice steady rate. Will keep all posted.
Bigstew

Unread postby Pashead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Just found this thread - How did the Plum porter work out ?
Pashead

Unread postby Bigstew » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Sorry for the delay. The porter was very dry and tart. The dessert plums used in the secondary were very soft and sweet and all the residual sugar went mental. Almost every drop of plum flavour had disipated After a further month of conditioning the decision was taken to back sweeten with lactose, over 1 kg went in to make it ok to sip. Strangely ! the plum flavours shone through. Good luck if you are giving it a try.
Bigstew

Return to Recipes