Plum Beer.

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Plum Beer.

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am

Walking by the farm this morning and it looks like a bumper crop of wild cherry plums, the framer says I can take as much as I like providing I drop him down a few samples. This got me thinking about moving away from the usual Belgian lambic style for something different. First up would be a smash brew with maris otter and bramling X or a california common with 5-6kg in a 20litre batch. Any thoughts or advice please.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Plum Beer.

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Try a saison with plums. The Kernel has a very nice one.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby tsgreen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Bigstew wrote:Walking by the farm this morning and it looks like a bumper crop of wild cherry plums, the framer says I can take as much as I like providing I drop him down a few samples. This got me thinking about moving away from the usual Belgian lambic style for something different. First up would be a smash brew with maris otter and bramling X or a california common with 5-6kg in a 20litre batch. Any thoughts or advice please.

I am curious as to what you decide. I have a bumper crop of the plums and gooseberries, which I was thinking a simple ale.
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:31 am

Plum eau de vie ? Quite frankly anything but beer.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Plum porter is now in secondary phase, just halved the 6kg of plums and added to the fermentor. Thus far 5 days no off aromas and its fermenting at a nice steady rate. Will keep all posted.
Bigstew

Return to Recipes