Bluebird Bitter

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Bluebird Bitter

Unread postby BigEd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 am

Cheers, everyone.

Not an owner yet but I will be purchasing a BM50L in the immediate future. Just about all of my questions have been answered by perusing the info here but I thought I would throw a recipe out there to see if I'm on the right track.

I'm in the US and have been brewing 10 gallon US batches for many years. This is an extrapolation of my take on Bluebird Bitter for my upcoming first run on a BM50L. This is one of my favorites beers and I thought its simple recipe would be a good one to start with. My rough numbers previously were an OG of 1.050 and IBUs of ~40. I have assumed a lower efficiency with the BM (I'm @ ~82% with my old system) and tried to account for the larger batch size of 50L vs ~38L. Thoughts from the BM veterans on whether this will put up similar finished numbers to my previous brews?

So here it is:

9.25 Kg MO pale malt
500g 55L Crystal malt

75g Challenger hops (8%AA) 90 minutes
35g Challenger hops (8%AA) 15 minutes

Mash 67C for 60 minutes
BigEd

Re: Bluebird Bitter

Unread postby mashy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 am

No knowing what you are aiming for is difficult, but I would like to think that will make a malty brown beer.
You haven't mentioned volume. That said I think you are on the right track.

Speaking as a brewer, who then bought a BM. Beware they are a bit different. I wish I have done a water only 'dry run' run first. It also serves as a good wash and test.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to Recipes