Rice Hulls

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Rice Hulls

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 pm

At the weekend my plan is to do a clone of Shepherd and Neame Bishops finger, the clone brews book calls for 227gm of rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash. As they impart zero in colour,flavour etc is there any point in putting them in because of the way the BM works. Or any equivalents I could use please.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Rice Hulls

Unread postby grooves » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Don't bother - they are totally unnecessary.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you. I thought so but its always worth seeking knowledge from your fellow brewers.
Bigstew

Unread postby chastuck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Bigstew wrote:At the weekend my plan is to do a clone of Shepherd and Neame Bishops finger, the clone brews book calls for 227gm of rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash. As they impart zero in colour,flavour etc is there any point in putting them in because of the way the BM works. Or any equivalents I could use please.

Depending on what you brew, they are necessary. I just brewed a Witbeir on my BM and used 5kg of flaked unmalted wheat and 500g of flaked oats, as well as 5.5kg of pilsner malt. I used 600g of rice hulls with it to prevent a gelatinous mash. It all worked well in my 50L BM and I got an 87% mash efficiency. I tried the same recipe in my BM once before without the rice hulls and the mash set like jelly.

A good substitute for rice hulls are oat husks: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/oat-husks/.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Azagil » Sun May 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Better safe than sorry!! I was doing a bourbon (70% corn maise) on the weekend and it was like jelly when I pulled the grain out and during the rests at times it was shooting water spouts. Was a little funny until I seen about 500ml of my wash on the bench. Was definitely wishing I had used some rice hulls..... lesson learnt as I will be next time! :oops:
Azagil

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 am

Azagil wrote:Better safe than sorry!! I was doing a bourbon (70% corn maise) on the weekend and it was like jelly when I pulled the grain out and during the rests at times it was shooting water spouts. Was a little funny until I seen about 500ml of my wash on the bench. Was definitely wishing I had used some rice hulls..... lesson learnt as I will be next time! :oops:

I've done corn in a normal mashtun and it would have to be the hardest grain to work with, turns to a porridge(think polenta)
I'm not sure if rice hulls would be much benefit.
Tipsy

Unread postby uk_brewer » Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 pm

I just brewed a Neipa 730g flaked wheat and 412g flaked oats with no rice hulls or issues.
uk_brewer

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Azagil » Sun May 13, 2018 5:03 am

Tipsy wrote:
Azagil wrote:Better safe than sorry!! I was doing a bourbon (70% corn maise) on the weekend and it was like jelly when I pulled the grain out and during the rests at times it was shooting water spouts. Was a little funny until I seen about 500ml of my wash on the bench. Was definitely wishing I had used some rice hulls..... lesson learnt as I will be next time! :oops:

I've done corn in a normal mashtun and it would have to be the hardest grain to work with, turns to a porridge(think polenta)

I re-run the same grains last night, still with the 70% corn maise but this time added 250gms of rice hulls and it went flawlessly thank god. I wasn’t sure if the rice hulls would really do you much but it even sparged well. So (for me at least) they worked a treat, good enough for me to do the same next weekend hoping for the same result as I just got last night.
Azagil

Unread postby Tipsy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 am

Azagil wrote:
Tipsy wrote:

I re-run the same grains last night, still with the 70% corn maise but this time added 250gms of rice hulls and it went flawlessly thank god. I wasn’t sure if the rice hulls would really do you much but it even sparged well. So (for me at least) they worked a treat, good enough for me to do the same next weekend hoping for the same result as I just got last night.

That's good to hear....I may have to give it a go. :beerbang:
Tipsy

Unread postby johnrm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:49 am

@azagill, spurts are wort fountains.
Look up malt conditioning (broken record, me)
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning
johnrm

Unread postby MichaelNelson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I've done corn in an ordinary mashtun and it would need to be the hardest grain to work with, swings to a porridge

I don't know whether rice frames would be much advantage.
MichaelNelson

Unread postby mashy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 am

+1. Needs enzymes really (or malted barley)
mashy

Unread postby LarryHarty » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Bigstew wrote:At the weekend my plan is to do a clone of Shepherd and Neame Bishops finger, the clone brews book calls for 227gm of rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash. As they impart zero in colour,flavour etc is there any point crazy bulk results in putting them in because of the way the BM works. Or any equivalents I could use please.

I just prepared a Witbeir on my BM and utilized 7kg of chipped unmalted wheat and 700g of chipped oats, and also 7.5kg of pilsner malt. I utilized 800g of rice structures with it to keep a thick squash. Everything functioned admirably
LarryHarty

Model: 50 litres

Return to Recipes