Rapid Fermentation time.

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Rapid Fermentation time.

Unread postby Bigstew » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

Just got back home after deployment and treated myself to a fermentasaurus. My first conical fermenter, coupled with this I broke away from safale/mangrove jacks dried yeast and went for broke with liquid yeast and starters. Now my fave IPA recipe generally takes 7-10 days to ferment(made 7 times in bm20) but with the conical and liquid starter its done in just 5!! is this normal please or have i (a) overpitched or (b) ballsed up some other way please.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Rapid Fermentation time.

Unread postby squadricus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am

With healthy starters made from liquid yeast, or a big slug of yeast slurry from a local brewery, 3 days is typical for my ales. High hopping rates might spread this out a bit, but effects of fermenter geometry I would expect to be measured hours or minutes, not days.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Sounds normal! When you made your starter did you do the calcs to make sure that your pitching rate is ballpark, I use http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ others may use other calculators and get different results.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 am

Normal.

Happy healthy yeast do run through quicker.

Making starters from dried yeast is now considered detrimental.

That said temps, sugars, dosage, lag, ingredients, nutrient and more all combine to affect fermentation times.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am

Hi all, I used the Mr Malty calculator approx 1Ltr starter. It was wild watching it in the clear frementasaurus too. like 40 pint lava lamp of joy, just amazed at the speed. Will rack to secondary and dry hop today, be force carbing come Sunday.
Bigstew

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 am

Bigstew wrote:Hi all, I used the Mr Malty calculator approx 1Ltr starter. It was wild watching it in the clear frementasaurus too. like 40 pint lava lamp of joy, just amazed at the speed. Will rack to secondary and dry hop today, be force carbing come Sunday.

It can be shocking when you experience a really fast vigorous fermentation, especially if it blows off the lid and covers the fermentor and brew fridge in thick krausen! Better than TV.

I’ve been eyeing up the fermentasaurus but at only 37 litres I would have trouble keeping the lid on my beer, did you get the yeast harvesting bottle with it also?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am

Spot on!! I dumped the post fill up kettle crud first, then popped in the starter. Just decanted the yeast cake in to 4 new 100ml containers from amazon and i now have four potential starters for future brews so in a small way clawed back £28 quid already. Impressed with the fermenter though, just wish it was a little more compact so it would sit in a normal small non American size fridge. Will be making a few mods as soon as I have time.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Bigstew wrote: Impressed with the fermenter though, just wish it was a little more compact so it would sit in a normal small non American size fridge. Will be making a few mods as soon as I have time.

I like them too, but they are an awkward lump to handle.

PS 100ml pop bottles are good for yeast cake.
mashy

Return to Recipes