Quest for the Best (IPA)

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Quest for the Best (IPA)

Unread postby Winsdale » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Sorry for the duplicate threads, stuck browser :(

Now that my Braumeister is up and running again, following it's recent fault ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2604 ) I have decided to dedicate the next few months to finding the recipe and method for the perfect IPA. Although this is a somewhat subjective exercise, my plan is to be as methodical and scientific as possible during this process. The Braumeister has given me the opportunity to create all kinds of different styles, from Saisons to Stouts, Belgian to Bavarian and everything in between, though I feel it is time to get back to basics and create the ideal IPA for me.

So, as we all know there are 4 ingredients in any beer - malt, hops, yeast and water. The local water I find to be fairly consistent, rarely any issues with chlorination. A water analysis showed a profile that is reasonably good for IPA production, and I normally fill the BM the day before brewing and allow the water to stand overnight.

Water aside, this leaves 3 areas of experimentation, and I will begin with yeast. The grain bill and hop schedule will remain exactly the same over 4 batches, while each batch will be pitched with a different yeast.

Grain Bill
5000g Maris Otter
500g Vienna
500g Pilsener
200g Torrified Wheat

23L water, 5l sparge water, 5l top up at end boil.

Hop Schedule
70g Cascade (60 mins)
100g Citra (15 mins)
50g Citra (5 mins)

All of the hops are 2015 harvest, so need to use a fair bit of them to counteract the affects of their age.

The 4 types of yeast used are:

Gigayeast Norcal #1
Gigayeast Vermont IPA
WLP 001 California ale (x2)
WLP 090 San Diego super (x2)

I've always had much better results doubling up on the WLP, and am too lazy to make starters.

Mashing Schedule

Mash in 38c
63c 80 mins
73c 10 mins
78c 10 mins
100c 80 mins

I can fairly consistently hit an OG of 1056 - 1058 using the above mash temps and recipe, aiming for as close to 1010 FG as each yeast will allow

I will update the thread with the results once the first batches are ready, in around 6 weeks time. Then, once the ideal yeast is identified, It will be time to move on to the hops and grain adjustments.
Winsdale

Model: 20 litres

Re: Quest for the Best (IPA)

Unread postby squadricus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 pm

I seem to recall hearing or reading that Stone uses a Belgian yeast.

While all malt is likely the norm for American IPAs, the style they were based on may well have had adjuncts as well. Paradoxically, the use of invert sugar, with the higher rate of fructose than maltose in Maillard reactions, may give a maltier beer.

You may have a better chance of getting hop character where you want it with a Hoprocket or similar infuser.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

My first observations are 80 mins seems a long boil. And your first bittering hops are in really soon. I have noticed that later seems to mean a rounder bitter flavour. It will be interesting to see how you get on.
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 am

check this huge blind tasting out -

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... v.html?p=3

then research clone recipes of the ones you like the sound of.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:48 am

Will follow this with interest. So far I've done only done greg Hughes ones. American ipa, cascade IPA, Amarillo IPA and black IPA.
I only use wyeast American ale smack packs so far so this will be interesting.

There are a couple in BYO magazines I will try next, then I also want to try Brewdogs .

If you are just changing yeast why not do a split batch?

The BYO recipes mostly mash at 67 or 68 which I found surprising.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Winsdale » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 am

mashy wrote:My first observations are 80 mins seems a long boil. And your first bittering hops are in really soon. I have noticed that later seems to mean a rounder bitter flavour. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Had my fair share of off flavours in the past, and having read a fair amount about DMS prefer a longer boil (without lid). Quite often go to 2 hours even if busy with other bits on a brew day. Fair point on the bittering hop timing though, once I discover the preferred yeast for this type of IPA, the hop types and timings will be the next thing on the list.
Winsdale

Unread postby Winsdale » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 am

Onthebrew wrote:If you are just changing yeast why not do a split batch?

I've moved from bottling to kegging all my beer in the last year, mainly as bottling is a massive PITA, but also for more consistent results. The kegs I have though are the similar to Corny kegs, but with using S30 gas. To do half batches in these kegs is very expensive on gas I have found. that said, I have been eyeing the 50L BM for a while now, mainly for the ability to split batch, each half being a full 5 gallons.

2 things holding me back on getting one:

1. Not sure if my brewhouse will support the greater power supply required by the 50l
2. Not sure if my (100 year old) brewhouse ceiling beams will support the required winch for the grain bucket - they look a bit worse for wear lets say.

So probably need to upgrade the brew house before the BM :)
Winsdale

Unread postby chastuck » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Winsdale wrote:
Onthebrew wrote:If you are just changing yeast why not do a split batch?

I've moved from bottling to kegging all my beer in the last year, mainly as bottling is a massive PITA, but also for more consistent results. The kegs I have though are the similar to Corny kegs, but with using S30 gas. To do half batches in these kegs is very expensive on gas I have found. that said, I have been eyeing the 50L BM for a while now, mainly for the ability to split batch, each half being a full 5 gallons.

2 things holding me back on getting one:

1. Not sure if my brewhouse will support the greater power supply required by the 50l
2. Not sure if my (100 year old) brewhouse ceiling beams will support the required winch for the grain bucket - they look a bit worse for wear lets say.

So probably need to upgrade the brew house before the BM :)

Don't need to mount an electric hoist or winch on a beam - you could use an engine hoist. They also break down very easily for storage. I keep mine under my brew bench when not in use. See below.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Return to Recipes