Black Walnut

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Black Walnut

Unread postby tsgreen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Has anyone brewed with black walnuts? After searching, i am guessing not many. My trees had an epic year and thought it might be something to try. My plan was to soak in everclear and then freeze. I read where someone did this placing a straw in the container to retain a hole in the fat layer on top. The idea is to extract the flavor while leaving the fat and protein.

Here is where I am struggling. Add the extract to the boil to capture the flavor and remove alcohol or while fermenting? What quantity of walnut for a 50L recipe? That one is even tougher do to taste and how strong they are.

Even if you haven't brewed with them i wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

Thank you!
Last edited by tsgreen on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Re: Black Walnut

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 am

I like your thinking.

Soaking in alcohol would give you an extract that you could add - to taste - after primary fermentation.

I wouldn't mess about with a straw - use a jar in the freezer and lift it off.

Also I would consider adding them crushed to the fermenter. You can rack it off later.

Google nochino for inspiration. I would conceive this also. As well as beer :D it DOES make a cracking chaser.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback and direction mashy!

I like the idea of adding crushed to fermenter. Was worried about the oils, but they should float. Figured it might still mess with head retention. May have to bucket ferment half a batch each way.

I will post an update when I have it sorted out. May have found a reason to look at a short pipe as well. :mrgreen:
tsgreen

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:15 pm

tsgreen wrote: Was worried about the oils, but they should float.

There won't be any.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

I made a tincture of whole green black walnuts a couple of decades ago. Been meaning to see what it is like these days. After trying Fee Brothers Black Walnut Bitters on ice cream, I'm kind of obsessed. Was looking at a ~140 year old recipe for black walnut bitters recently http://www.artofdrink.com/bitters/walnut-bitters. While trying to locate this again, it seemed like many of the references including black walnut and bitters talk about use of leaves as bittering agent.

Another approach that might be worth considering is smoking some malt with black walnut wood.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:45 am

squadricus wrote:I made a tincture of whole green black walnuts a couple of decades ago. Been meaning to see what it is like these days. After trying Fee Brothers Black Walnut Bitters on ice cream, I'm kind of obsessed. Was looking at a ~140 year old recipe for black walnut bitters recently http://www.artofdrink.com/bitters/walnut-bitters. While trying to locate this again, it seemed like many of the references including black walnut and bitters talk about use of leaves as bittering agent.

Another approach that might be worth considering is smoking some malt with black walnut wood.

Ooooh I like the idea of smoking the malt!! :mrgreen:
tsgreen

Return to Recipes