First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby auduni » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi!

Me and a pal are about to embark on our first brew, using a Braumeister Speidel 50L. As we thought our first attempt should be something not too complicated, so we thought we'd go for the recipe that Braumeister have posted themselves for a classic IPA. The recipe is as follows (probably well know to many of you):

"INGREDIENTS

55 l of brewing water to start with plus sparging water
10.0 kg Pale Ale malt
1.0 kg Carapils
124 g Centennial hops (12.3 % alpha)
250 g Cascade hops (6.8 % alpha)
1 packet Yeast Safale US-05

METHOD

MASH PROGRAMME
63 °C › Start mashing
63 °C › 70 min
73 °C › 5 min
78 °C › 5 min
Boiling › 80 min
HOP ADDITION
62 g Centennial › 70 min before end of boil
62 g Centennial › 55 min before end of boil
100 g Cascade › 40 min before end of boil
75 g + 75 g Cascade › End of boil + cooling

ORIGINAL GRAVITY
12 °P with 52 litres

FERMENTATION
Fermentation temperature at around 22 °C

MATURING
2-3 days at room temperature, followed by 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator at 5 °C"


We'll split this brew on two 25L fermentation buckets.

The only modifications we'd like to do to this brew is to replace 1 kg of Pale malt with 1 kg of oats, as people claim it might get a creamier and better mouth feel with some oats in it.

And after a week of fermentation, we thought we'd dry hop with 100g of Simcoe and 100g of Citra in one bucket, and 100g Mosaic and 100g Citra in the other and then leave it for another week in the bucket. We'll try to use CO2 to purge out potential oxygen that would enter the buckets (using the SodaStream with a hose-trick, if people are familiar with that) whilst dry hopping.

What's the verdict on the recipe? Any good hints and tips that people with experience from similar brews would like to add or make us aware of? We'd be very interested to see if others here have tried something similar, and maybe even on a Speidel 50L.

We're grateful for any tips (preferably not too complicated ones) that might add to making our first brew a successful one.

Best, Audun

PS: We'll use normal tap water from the local source here in Norway as it apparently is of high quality and is certified in any possible fashion when it comes to compositions of minerals, ph-wise etc... It's even been UV-treated as far as I've heard.
auduni
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Model: 50 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 pm

The cara pils should help with mouthfeel. Not sure I'd put oats in an American IPA. Or why you would want creaminess?

Also good advice is to do a test run for full program with water only to get used to the process.

And don't forget the plates and filters :roll:

Good luck.
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

the recipe isn't so important for your first brew. but i have to say the timing of the hop additions is pretty old-fashioned. 70 and 55 minute additions are totally redundant, and both are a waste of good aroma hops. i would do a 60 minute boil, get some cheap bittering hops to boil for 60 minutes to get almost all the bitterness you want, and throw in all the cascade and centennial at 5 minutes and flameout. (ok, if it were me i would never even look at a speidel recipe when there are so many homebrew forums filled with really interesting recipes and followed immediately by comments of people who have brewed them. the speidel recipes look like they were written by an office worker who half-read a 1970's homebrew manual!)
oats: that's a lot of oats for any recipe. are you talking flaked, raw, or malted oats? if malted then maybe but yeah it's gonna be really creamy.
fermentation is the most important step, and 1 pack of dry yeast is nowhere near enough. I would use at least 3 packs for the 50L.
good luck, hope you enjoy it! and if it goes wrong, have a laugh and try again
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby auduni » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 am

Onthebrew wrote:The cara pils should help with mouthfeel. Not sure I'd put oats in an American IPA. Or why you would want creaminess?

Also good advice is to do a test run for full program with water only to get used to the process.

And don't forget the plates and filters :roll:

Good luck.


Cheers!
auduni
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Model: 50 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby auduni » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

dinnerstick wrote:the recipe isn't so important for your first brew. but i have to say the timing of the hop additions is pretty old-fashioned. 70 and 55 minute additions are totally redundant, and both are a waste of good aroma hops. i would do a 60 minute boil, get some cheap bittering hops to boil for 60 minutes to get almost all the bitterness you want, and throw in all the cascade and centennial at 5 minutes and flameout. (ok, if it were me i would never even look at a speidel recipe when there are so many homebrew forums filled with really interesting recipes and followed immediately by comments of people who have brewed them. the speidel recipes look like they were written by an office worker who half-read a 1970's homebrew manual!)
oats: that's a lot of oats for any recipe. are you talking flaked, raw, or malted oats? if malted then maybe but yeah it's gonna be really creamy.
fermentation is the most important step, and 1 pack of dry yeast is nowhere near enough. I would use at least 3 packs for the 50L.
good luck, hope you enjoy it! and if it goes wrong, have a laugh and try again


Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on the hops for the boil then (or maybe even a good, full recipe for a fruity, not-overly-complicated IPA for a Speidel 50)? Any views on the dry hoping I mentioned in the original post?

The oats we're using are flaked oats. Maybe we should settle with 500g then?

I thought that the amount of yeast wasn't all that important as long as there were some kind of minimum amount, but that probably goes to show at what level I am at brewing... :wink:

There might be laughing... :D
auduni
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Model: 50 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby mashy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 am

I wouldn't bother with the oats or the dry hop.

DS makes some good points. I particularly like the " office worker.. 1970.."

Seriously if this is your first time. Have you done a hot water run. Get used to the program, check it works, condensation, leaks. It will destress brew day. Then do an easy one and make yourself grin.

I have a cascade recipe of you want which is a solid performer everytime.

Keep it simple, have fun, grin alot.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 am

I actually think the speidal one looks ok, to kick off with, it's similar to some of Greg Hughes single hop pale ale recipes, and they all turn out very well, although they are a bit stronger. That said, it's true there are so many more interesting ones out there.

Also just seen that oats form an important part New England IPAs so maybe go for it. May try this one myself

http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/21/the-im ... t-results/
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby auduni » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 am

mashy wrote:I wouldn't bother with the oats or the dry hop.

DS makes some good points. I particularly like the " office worker.. 1970.."

Seriously if this is your first time. Have you done a hot water run. Get used to the program, check it works, condensation, leaks. It will destress brew day. Then do an easy one and make yourself grin.

I have a cascade recipe of you want which is a solid performer everytime.

Keep it simple, have fun, grin alot.


Cheers! I'd love to have a look at the Cascade recipe if you would't mind sending it to me.
auduni
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Model: 50 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am

You have PM
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew ever! Tips and hints appreciated.

Unread postby KingDavid » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:04 am

G'day, I did brew the BM IPA as per their recipe and its an okay drop for sure very drinkable however its quite bitter. Not possibly balanced without dry hopping which when included may be more to the style. Just my thoughts.
KingDavid
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 am
Model: 20 litres


Return to Recipes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests