No quick cool

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

No quick cool

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:34 am

Did an IPA yesterday walloped in the flame out hops , then got my immersion chilller ready. Then no water to pump through it. Three hours later they turned the supply back on. The wort was sat there infusing for that long. Anyhow i cooled it and have placed in the starter. Any ideas how bad this will taste.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: No quick cool

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 am

I think it will be perfectly drinkable. The flavour profile may slightly be different.
It will prove to be a good experiment and you will learn loads.
All good.

In that situation you could consider a swamp cooler. In brief wet cloth over kettle and aim a fan at it. Keep cloth wet.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 am

Thank you, for that big tip!! will have a plan B next time.
Bigstew

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:38 am

I reckon it might be a tad bitter :p

But I find most IPA's too bitter for my tastes.
Tipsy

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 am

Tipsy wrote:I reckon it might be a tad bitter :p

That's interesting.....how do you think it would affect the bitterness
mashy

Unread postby judgecc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 am

It will be a lot more bitter if the temperature sat over 75-80c for a while. A lot of ibus in that temp range, as well as in boil..
I always use a hopstand at 70-75c 1hour for Ipas and sometimes Apas. A lot of aroma and no ibus to wonder about at that temp range.
judgecc

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:24 am

it depends very much on how much the temp dropped during that time. three hours at 100 degrees will (theoretically) get the maximum possible amount of bitterness out of those hops, which will of course be way too much. but there is debate about if isomerization is as efficient if the wort is not actively boiling. ie sitting still at 100 degrees may be different form heating/boiling at 100 degrees, which may have something to do with the mixing effect that boiling the wort has, i don't know. anyways 85 degrees is generally considered the cutoff point for isomerizing alpha acids, so below that you're basically safe from getting crazy bitterness. between 85 and 100 it will depend greatly on the temperature.

for example, in my (commercial) brewery we add whirlpool hops at flameout, for IPAs we add a LOT, then we whirlpool for 5 minutes, and let them settle for an additional 15 minutes (still at 100 deg) before pumping through the heat exchanger, which takes an hour, and the temp doesn't drop much in the kettle. so some of the wort is sitting on the hops between 100 and 95 degrees for 80 minutes, some of it for only 20 min. we have to be very careful on our estimation of IBUs from these hop additions, but we have learned (by trial and error) that we get far less bitterness than we would from boiling the same amount of hops for 20 minutes.
but i will say that once i had a block in the heat exchanger, and the wort sat on the whirlpool hops for 2.5 hours. I threw that wort down the drain, it was too bitter, and i have to be able to sell the stuff.

so, taste the wort, it may be horrifically bitter or you may get away with it. if you brew the same beer a few times you will know how bitter the wort should taste to get the finished beer you want.
dinnerstick

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am

Absolutely agree. Chaps.

Now for a confession....

Tipsy wrote:I reckon it might be a tad bitter :p

I completely misread that post by one letter!

I read..

" I reckon it might be a tad bEtter "
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am

Just spoke to a chap at the local home brew club! he has a cunning plan (should call him Baldrick,) in his freezer he has about 6kg of frozen peaches from last year. His suggestion is that if the bitterness is not too extreme we whack in the peaches to make a fruit IPA. He has told me that peaches etc are quite notorious for quelling the bitterness and flavour of hops. If its palatable we split the batch. Neither of us are too partial to fruit IPA our SWMBO's are. Any thoughts on this twist to my dire brew day.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't think it will be dire.

Peaches are a good idea though. Mask it always better than wasting it.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Well all, the brew is currently fermenting like a good 'un. I have tried the Bulldog B5 American west yeast. I saw it on The home brew shop site and ordered two packets. Usually use Mangrove Jacks or Safale but I ventured in to the unkown. Will keep you posted.
Bigstew

Unread postby Fatbloke-Dim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm

PEACHES!!!????!!

BAH!Fruit offal ! Vile things. Cherries ,now ,altogether a better mousetrap . Kriek IPA , anyone? If itr's too bitter at first ,let it age ,if you can spare the time , it will mellow ,and may just surprise you in a good way . Have faith ,Bro!
"Wilt uw oud graven zijn,
drink beer in plaats van medicijn!"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fatbloke_dim/sets . my beery pix!!!!
Fatbloke-Dim

Return to Recipes