Summer Saison (split brewday)

Share your successful brews or start talking about your next one.

Summer Saison (split brewday)

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

I split this brew overnight to save some time & effort on each day. In the evening I prepped the water, milled grain etc, doughed-in and set the mash going, at the end of the mash, after mash-out at 78°C I pulled the malt pipe, sparged with 2L water and let it drain for a bit. At this point the BM is waiting for you to press a button so that it will carry on to the boil, during this time the BM will automatically maintain the mash-out temperature set, so this is where I stopped until the morning. I pulled the malt pipe completely and let it drain into a bucket for another 15-20 mins and poured this into the BM and left the malt pipe draining overnight.

In the morning I discarded what had drained into the bucket (another 500ml) and pressed the button on the BM to set it going for the boil, then just carried on with the rest of the routine.

From doughing-in to going to bed was about 2.5 hours and in the morning was around 3 hours including clean up and packing away and overall it was more relaxing than a full brewday, I shall be doing this again as long as the beer turns out well :)

Code: Select all
Recipe: AG#12 Summer Saison

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Equipment: 50BM with short malt pipe
Minibrew conical fermentor
Boil Size: 30 l
Post Boil Volume: 23 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.50 l   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
OG: 1.046
expected FG: 1.009
expected ABV: 4.8%
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBUs
Mash Efficiency: 84 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Water treated to a Pale ale/Bitter profile

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                           
3.00 kg               Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)                  71.4 %       
0.75 kg               Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                            17.9 %       
0.45 kg               Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)                      10.7 %       
15g                     Bramling Cross [7.00 %] -                        Boil 90 mins   13.1 IBUs     
15g                     Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] -           Boil 90 mins    8.2 IBUs     
30g                     Bramling Cross [7.00 %] -                        Boil 15 mins    12.1 IBUs
1                        Whirfloc tablet                                       Boil 15 mins
12g                     NBS Belgian Saison dry yeast

Mash Schedule:
-------------------
Water 33 l plus 2 l for sparge = 35 l

Dough-in        44°C
Ferulic Rest    20mins @ 44°C  (prob didn't need this rest, but it was there from a previous wheat beer)
Protein          10mins @ 50°C
1st Sacch       45mins @ 63°C
2nd Sacch      35mins @ 71°C
Mash-out       10mins @ 78°C
Hold wort      8 hours @ 78°C

Fermentation:
------------------
Pitch @ 18°C
Allow to rise naturally to max 28°C
Cool for a week and bottle

Maturation:
---------------
Carbonate to 3 vols CO2
Mature 4 weeks @ 12°C
----------------------------

Saison trial jar.JPG
Only one photo of the trail jar showing cold break and colour
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Summer Saison (split brewday)

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:59 pm

If you're pushed for time this could be a great idea, especially as the mashing is pretty well set and forget. That would make for an easy evening. Then you could get up early, do the boil and clean up before the rest of the family are even up.

Could be split into three easy chunks if you "No Chill Cube"

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: Summer Saison (split brewday)

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I've kept the beer warm at 26°C for the last 5 days and it has been at 1.003 for a couple of days (day 9) so I've just set the fridge to chill, as cold as I can get it (1-2°C for about a week) before packaging (not decided whether to bottle or keg yet or both!).

:)
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Return to Recipes