Rolling boil.

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

RE: Rolling boil.

Unread postby niels » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am

whitegoose wrote:I use the insulation with an aluminium side - it works beautifully

Good to hear! I'm planning a brew day later this month and want to get the "jacket" and my new immersion chiller ready by then.

I'll report back!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 pm

I use two forms of insulation around my BM50 - a length of 'swimming pool' bubble wrap, this is tightly wrapped to the BM, then a standard expanded foam camping mat around that, both cut to size. I've had no issues with either melting. The bubble wrap is a thicker, slightly stiffer form of your 'packing' bubble wrap and costs more to buy.

I looked at the Speidel insulation, but cost aside, it looks fitted and more difficult to remove when cooling the wort (I could be wrong here). My bits of insulation take seconds to fit and remove.

:drink:
Last edited by BrauTim on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:43 am

Batz wrote:
I tried a camping mat and it wanted to stick, got it off quickly.

Batz

I currently use a beach towel as my ghetto jacket, while waiting for Speidel's jackets to come back in stock @ MoreBeer.

Functionality-wise, it really helps with the boil.

I almost had a boil-over yesterday.
Last edited by cpa4ny on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 am

cpa4ny wrote:
Batz wrote:
I tried a camping mat and it wanted to stick, got it off quickly.

Batz

I currently use a beach towel as my ghetto jacket, while waiting for Speidel's jackets to come back in stock @ MoreBeer.

Functionality-wise, it really helps with the boil.

I almost had a boil-over yesterday.

Interesting, I've found that the insulation jacket makes 0 difference to my boil (see my frustrated post above about the pathetic boil)
whitegoose

Unread postby niels » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:41 pm

fy0d0r on HomeBrewTalk just posted a picture of his camping mat insulation jacket:

jacket.jpg

Strange that he put the aluminium on the outside...

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:14 pm

hahaha - fail

maybe it's got aluminium on both sides?
Last edited by whitegoose on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitegoose

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 pm

whitegoose wrote:hahaha - fail

Maybe I don't understand the physics well enough, but it seems that my fail is shared by the manufacturers of heat insulation around the world ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=hot+water+pipes+foiled+thermal+insulation&num=30&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

As for rolling boil - immersion 1.5KW water heater for $3 works well for me.
I've used it with my traditional kettle setup in the past and use it with BM as well.
You just need to make sure to use separate line/outlet for powering it not to overload your power cables.

immersion_heater.jpg
Last edited by fy0d0r on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fy0d0r

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm curious to see the boil on this thing. I've been using an electric kettle for some years now, and the boil has never been huge, but enough. I always did a 75-90 minute boil to help ensure no DMS. Still, I just ordered this from Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037CF68E/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

It's 10.88 pounds (currency, not weight) shipped to Belgium.
Elderberry

Unread postby smeller » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 pm

You can buy 4 different size immersion heaters here: 350W, 1000W, 1500W and 2000W
http://stores.ebay.de/w-s-v-Shop/Tauchsieder-/_i.html?_fsub=1198190017&_sid=22263947&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I use the 2000W version to boost my electrical boil kettle
smeller

Unread postby whitegoose » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 pm

fy0d0r wrote:Maybe I don't understand the physics well enough, but it seems that my fail is shared by the manufacturers of heat insulation around the world ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=hot+water+pipes+foiled+thermal+insulation&num=30&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

I use the foiled side to stop the rubber/foam from melting or sticking to the BM, not for some kind of super insulation, I thought that was the point!
whitegoose

Unread postby whitegoose » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Some guys on another forum convinced me not to worry about the boil, until I get some kind of negative results... so I'm bearing with it for now. But if I do have problems I will buy one of these immersion heating elements.
whitegoose

Re: Rolling boil.

Unread postby luk-cha » Wed May 07, 2014 5:13 am

just adding my 2 cents, we did our first boil yesterday on the 20L BM and, we have both the standard thermo jacket and the stainless steel hood, and i must say our boil was incredable, boil temp was set at 102C and for 90 mins, throughout the boil i had to recirculate the hops back into the wort as they had stuck to the sides, so i was thinking perhaps the doomed hood works in the same way as a traditional pizza oven and convexes the heat from the boil off back into the the wort, because when i took the hood off, the boil soon calmed to a gentle simmer
luk-cha

Unread postby whitegoose » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 am

luk-cha wrote:just adding my 2 cents, we did our first boil yesterday on the 20L BM and, we have both the standard thermo jacket and the stainless steel hood, and i must say our boil was incredable, boil temp was set at 102C and for 90 mins, throughout the boil i had to recirculate the hops back into the wort as they had stuck to the sides, so i was thinking perhaps the doomed hood works in the same way as a traditional pizza oven and convexes the heat from the boil off back into the the wort, because when i took the hood off, the boil soon calmed to a gentle simmer

What's your boil off rate like with the hood?
whitegoose

Unread postby Okire » Wed May 07, 2014 7:52 am

As I understand it the boil does not have to be vigorous, it needs to be "rolling" to get the unwanted DMS and other stuff out. You need about 100C and about 10 minutes to achieve hotbreak, this has occurred when the initial foam settles down due to the proteins in the foam clumps together.
When the hot break is achieved you need the vaporization the get the DMS compound out of the worth, measure how much of the worth has been reduced to ensure that you get a proper boil, I tend to get 3-5 liters per hour when the BM is insulated.

With the lid half closed, it is faster to reach hotbreak but after that I believe that the increased boil is counterproductive while some of the vapor will condensate on the lid and drip back into the worth

Anyway, that's my interpretation.
Erik
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 am

Can't refrain from posting a video of vigorous boil from one of my fellow home/pro brewer.

Warning: Parental Advisory Required - Explicit Content (in Russian)
fy0d0r

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks