Rolling boil.

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Rolling boil.

Unread postby Beerkench » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

I've read that a good rolling boil is important when brewing beer but I never seem to get that with the BM. This might explain my chill haze problem.
Half covering the pot is an option but then I run the risk of DMS in my beer right?
I've never brewed with other gear so I have nothing to compare to.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

RE: Rolling boil.

Unread postby pmac » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 am

I haven't had any issues with my boil - where are you brewing - outside? Weather conditions will have some effect but mine normally sits on 99c and I get a good rolling boil.
pmac

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 am

I am actually not very happy with my boil either. Especially compared to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjl6Vg148nU

About to order a jacket for my 20L BM (just checked - it's again on back-order @ MoreBeer).

I use the copper hood, which I think should achieve the same effect as half-covering the BM with the lid.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 am

beerkench are you setting your BM to 102 degrees for the boil? that's what i do, with the insulated jacket, and i get a nice rolling boil, uncovered. (it gets up to 100 and begins the timer, it doesn't 'try' to reach 102...)
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 am

dinnerstick wrote:beerkench are you setting your BM to 102 degrees for the boil? that's what i do, with the insulated jacket, and i get a nice rolling boil, uncovered. (it gets up to 100 and begins the timer, it doesn't 'try' to reach 102...)

This is exactly how I do it. Setting the boiling temperature to 102°C will keep heating elements on for the whole boil. This certainly improved my boil compared to the first brew!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby pmac » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 am

Yes sorry I should have mentioned I also have it set to 102c to keep the element cranking along.
pmac

Unread postby Crusty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 am

I haven't done a brew yet with my new 50lt but during water tests & programming, I found the boil pretty weak as well, even with the thermojacket.
I double checked the boil & on the digital stick thermometer, it bounced between 99.7-100deg so it's definitly boiling. I also have mine set @102deg but the display never even reached 100deg, it bounces between 98-99deg on the display. Being such a large element, I guess it's boiling over a much larger area & I am more used to the boil from a 32jet Mongolian or my exposed element Crown Urn which has quite a small element & I suppose the boil is concentrated in a much smaller area giving it the appearance of a slightly more vigorous boil. The only other small gripe I have is the amount of allowable hop additions. Three additions only & a zero addition as well. I guess there's not too many brews requiring more than four hop additions anyhow, not in my recipe database anyway.
Saying that, these machines are awesome & I can't wait to do my first run with it.
Last edited by Crusty on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crusty

Unread postby Beerkench » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 pm

dinnerstick wrote:beerkench are you setting your BM to 102 degrees for the boil? that's what i do, with the insulated jacket, and i get a nice rolling boil, uncovered. (it gets up to 100 and begins the timer, it doesn't 'try' to reach 102...)

I do set it to 102 but it's quite cold in my mancave so I should probably get the jacket. Mine BM ticks over around 98-99 C.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Beerkench wrote:I do set it to 102 but it's quite cold in my mancave so I should probably get the jacket. Mine BM ticks over around 98-99 C.

I'm considering to convert a camping mat with an aluminium layer to an isolation jacket. It's not as slick as the original jacket, but I have such a mat laying around... It's worth a try.

camping_mat.jpg

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 am

HI Niels - a camping mat may or may not be high-temp rated.

I.e. wonder if it may stick to BM's surface due to high heat melting the plastic.

Unread postby DARKWOLFBREWING » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Referring to Niels camping mat, has anybody tryed using an electric mat designed to raise the temperture in a carboy fermentor. It could possible help keep the temp stable or help raise it a couple of degrees. They are not real expensive.
DARKWOLFBREWING

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:00 pm

cpa4ny wrote:HI Niels - a camping mat may or may not be high-temp rated.

I.e. wonder if it may stick to BM's surface due to high heat melting the plastic.

I tried a camping mat and it wanted to stick, got it off quickly.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby whitegoose » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:28 am

Beerkench wrote:I've read that a good rolling boil is important when brewing beer but I never seem to get that with the BM. This might explain my chill haze problem.
Half covering the pot is an option but then I run the risk of DMS in my beer right?
I've never brewed with other gear so I have nothing to compare to.

Yeah I've just done my second brew on my 20L BM and have to say I am really not happy with the boil at all. It's probably more like what I would call simmering. Like others have said my temp dances around 98-99 for most of the time, which if you ask me is just not good enough. Even an hour into a 90 minute boil I still have hot break / scum collecting in a film over half of the wort surface, which I have never seen before. I have an insulation jacket around mine and I don;t think it makes any difference.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a submersible over-the-side heating element to supplement the BM element and get a proper boil going. Does anybody have any idea how much power would be enough? Some brewing shops sell 2400W over the side elements, but I reckon that would be overkill for a system that already has a simmering boil... Or will I need an element with that much power to get my wort to 100 degrees regardless of how hot the other element has made the wort? I don't really know much about the science of heating things up!!
whitegoose

Unread postby niels » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:45 am

Batz wrote:

Batz

Did you use one with an aluminium side?
I thought about the sticking, but figured that the aluminium side would hold up...

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby whitegoose » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:51 am

niels wrote:
Batz wrote:

Batz

Did you use one with an aluminium side?
I thought about the sticking, but figured that the aluminium side would hold up...

Niels

I use the insulation with an aluminium side - it works beautifully
whitegoose

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks