First brew day. Need Help with the numbers!!

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

First brew day. Need Help with the numbers!!

Unread postby red ice » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi

Just completed my first BM brew day with my 2015 20L model.

I did a simple beer. 4kg of Maris Otter with two hop additions at 50mins and 5 mins to create a blonde ale
I've used beer smith for the numbers and decided on an 80minute boil. The mash was 60mins at 66c and a mash out of 15mins at 78

Beer smith predicted a pre boil gravity of 1.038 (25l with start volume of 27.5l water). With grain absorption I ended up with the 25l at 1.038 spot on.

Here's my problem. Beer smith predicts post boil gravity of 1.048. I only achieved 1.044. That would suggest I boiled off less which is probably true as I used the stainless hood. I think therefore I lost 2litres an hour.

I fiddled with the BM efficiency from 75% to 70% and got a post boil of 1.044. However pre boil of 1.035 is what it predicts!

I'm confused as the mashed grain produced the original pre boil gravity. Just not the final.

Where am I going wrong?

The brewing process was so slick and I love the interface. Very easy to use!
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep
Model: 20 litres

Re: First brew day. Need Help with the numbers!!

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:26 pm

You might not be going crazy red ice, there is a known problem with BeerSmith that gives a 4% error between pre-boil and post-boil gravity. See this thread for an explanation... viewtopic.php?t=531#p5161

You should also check your post-boil volume to verify your boil off - 2l per hour sounds a little low.

Unread postby red ice » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks. Changed the cooling lose to zero and get my target post boil to equal what I acually got.

I think 4 % cooling loss is quite a lot. I can cool my wort to 18c in 15mins at this time of year as gnd water is 6c
red ice

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm

red ice wrote:Thanks. Changed the cooling lose to zero and get my target post boil to equal what I acually got.

I think 4 % cooling loss is quite a lot. I can cool my wort to 18c in 15mins at this time of year as gnd water is 6c

Yup, you got it. 4% sounds like a lot for cooling loss, but it's really there and with that Beersmith bug that's exactly where the gravity error creeps in.

Unread postby red ice » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Looks like I'm sitting at 70% mash efficiency for brew one.

Can you pause the 2015 controller to stir the mash?
red ice

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:37 pm

red ice wrote:Looks like I'm sitting at 70% mash efficiency for brew one.

Can you pause the 2015 controller to stir the mash?

I'm taking a guess as I have the Gen 1 controller (and the Gen 2 manuals are still not on the web site), but you should be able to press the up and down keys simultaneously to pause. New owners, please chime in here!

Unread postby stevodevo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm

On the new model you press the abort button (far left) to pause during a brew. I don't have any water in the tank at the moment to test, but going by memory, and the manual, the controller LED's start flashing red and the display asks if you want to cancel completely or continue. You just continue the program after stirring.

In full manual mode the abort button just takes you straight back to the main menu without asking for confirmation.
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to General / Tips and Tricks