Volume measurement using rod marks, 50L BM

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Volume measurement using rod marks, 50L BM

Unread postby leosardinha » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:52 pm

After a long time brewing with not so precise measurement on the volumes produced, I decided to improve on this topic.

I thought about etching the BM Kettle but it would give some work which currently I do not have time to do.

So I thought about using the actual markings of the tie rod and a ruler.

It is known(If I'm correct) that the rod marks for the BM 50L are:

20L-25L-30L--45L-50L-55L

Knowing that i measured how many centimeters are between each mark, curiously I found out that between each 5L mark there are roughly 3cm and between the 30L and the 45L mark roughly 10cm.

So in between of 5L marks 1cm = 1.7L and in between of the 15L marks 1cm = 1,5L

I know that it is not 100% precise but using these measurements I assume I would be pretty close.

This weekend I brewed 50L of a american lager.

1) Using 11.5kg of grain(assumed a 0.6L/KG of grain absorption), I should reach exactly 48L before sparging = same as measurement(1,2cm below 50L mark)
2) With a 10L sparge I reached 58L(48+10), after a 80 minute boil(3.5L per hour boil off, 4.7 liters total) I should reach exactly 53.3L = Same as measurement(1cm below 55L mark, 1 cm = 1.7L)
3) I measured the trub loss with a pitcher, tipping the BM as much as I could and taking a bit of trub, ended up with 3L of trub.
4) Resulted in the exact 50L I planned and measured a 80% Ending Kettle Efficiency.

Does all of this makes sense?

I don't know why but it sounds to simple to be true...
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Volume measurement using rod marks, 50L BM

Unread postby paulg » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:52 pm

thats interesting Leosardinha are you using a hood or jacket?
I have my beersmith set at 5 litres/hour boil off and although I have just switched to a hood and jacket and get a much bigger rolling boil I am coming up with more wort after the boil than I should.
I am going to amend my profile to 3.5 litres/hour and 3 litres loss to trub (it is currently set at 3.5) and take more careful notes next time I brew.
my problem is I keep forgetting to measure pre boil as I hang the malt pipe to drain and start to raise to boil immediately not waiting for any sparge water to soak through.I think the grain absorbsion is pretty well decide to be 0.6 litre/kilo or there aboutsmine is set to 0.66 l/kilo
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Paul

I measured my boil off (50l BM model) - clean water and cooled down (thread posted somewhere previously). I got 4l per hour noting it was at 1700m altitude, quite low humidity. My trub the last two brews was around 4l and 4.3l and this with quite a tilt to decant maximum. I am generally still a bit short on my water volumes. When I corrected Beersmith grain absorption to BIAB I started to get closer. Last brew used 41.3l water targeting 26l final volume but was still a little short. Hope it helps.

Dirk
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby paulg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 pm

thanks dirk
I am a 650 meters ,I havent been able to determine my trub as I have been leaving my hops free in the boiler so cant just decant remains into a jug to measure .I also tilt the BM with a peice of 2" wood under the rear foot.This should I think give a repeatable drain off,leaving some wort and trub/hops behind.
I guess with more hops you get less wort left behind but also more absorbsion so maybe it balances out
paulg

Unread postby leosardinha » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:57 pm

paulg wrote:thats interesting Leosardinha are you using a hood or jacket?
I have my beersmith set at 5 litres/hour boil off and although I have just switched to a hood and jacket and get a much bigger rolling boil I am coming up with more wort after the boil than I should.
I am going to amend my profile to 3.5 litres/hour and 3 litres loss to trub (it is currently set at 3.5) and take more careful notes next time I brew.
my problem is I keep forgetting to measure pre boil as I hang the malt pipe to drain and start to raise to boil immediately not waiting for any sparge water to soak through.I think the grain absorbsion is pretty well decide to be 0.6 litre/kilo or there aboutsmine is set to 0.66 l/kilo

Paulg, I do not use a hood or jacket. I am at 1600m from sea level and my water boils around 97C.

If you are coming up to more wort than planned, then definitely you boil off is less than 5L.
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to General / Tips and Tricks