hop spider or free in boil

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

hop spider or free in boil

Unread postby paulg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:26 pm

i brewed yesterday a recipe with 100 grams leaf hops on the boil.
I strted off with the hops in a hop basket from chad ,as seen elsewhere on this site ( 18" x 6"/ 45 x 15 cm) but the hops seemed to be all clumped together and not getting well mixed with the wort so I emptied them into the boiler free .
What do people do ,I know having the hops free means that you cant use the pump to help cooling as the hops get dragged into the pump blocking it,but it seems a better way .I have a Braumiester hop stopper as well but still managed to block my tap during running off the wort as I dont think I had covered the hole for the tap properly
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: hop spider or free in boil

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Hop spider here. I couldn't justify spending that much on Chad's basket, so I built a cheap one based on this: http://byo.com/build-it-yourself/item/2 ... r-projects, using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag.

My hops, both leaf and pellet, seem to mix with the wort well because I can move the spider around and it's nice and big so the hops don't clump. I've done some of the same recipes as my buddy's old 3V system when we just chucked hops free into the kettle. Hop utilization seems to be just about the same as using my hop spider.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby benw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Until now I made 20 brews with my BM 20L. At the first 19 I did the hop additions in in hop bags, with glass objects for more weight. The main reason was a fear for difficult cleaning of the BM. In the mean time I saw several video's with hop additions directly in the wort. So I decided it to do this with my latest brew (nr. 20), with use of the Speidel hop sieve. I was surprised. The cleaning was not difficult or much more work. So I'll give it a chance for the coming brewings.
benw

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby redwing_al » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:27 am

I have 4 of these... used them in my last boil, worked out perfect. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X4 ... UTF8&psc=1
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Return to General / Tips and Tricks