Boil ups while using a hood

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Boil ups while using a hood

Unread postby Batz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 am

There has been some posts here discussing the use of a hood and the fact you do get boil ups/overs. I found my hop additions all ended up on the side of the Braumeister and not in the boil as I wanted.
OK, so I tried this http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5171, I found it was fantastic with little to no foaming. I have linked this to an Australian supplier just to show the product, I'm sure it is available anywhere.
Well worth a try if you have a problem.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Re: Boil ups while using a hood

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 pm

I use a similar thing whenever i anticipate a boilover, mostly when microwaving starter wort in a flask, also sometimes in the kettle, and i use it often in the fermenter when head space is limited, as it will substantially but not completely cut down on krauzen foam. There are people who think it's unsafe, or that it will kill head retention in the final beer, but there is a huge amount of evidence that neither of these is borne out by facts, both from toxicology evaluations and years of use in brewing. The stuff is simethicone, and it is given straight no chaser to babies as a gas relief. It cannot be taken up by the body so passes straight through the digestive system. It also drops out of suspension with the yeast so does not carry over to the final beer, and you get great foam retention after using it. What i'm trying to say is that i love this stuff. it's also called fermcap-s, and schuimstop from vinoferm in europe. Same thing.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby paddye » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I just put my wooden paddle under one side of the hood if I see foam starting to get near the top of the kettle.
paddye

Unread postby red ice » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that I had foam forming up into the hood today as there we bits of break etc in it. but it never came out the seal or the top. Might have got lucky and lifted it at the right time. However, the liquid level was only around 25l so maybe the foam hits hits the dome and it calms it due to its shape.
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Unread postby paulg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:52 am

I had done about 5 brews with the hood and no trouble but the last 2 I have had a boil up, and one of them I didnt notice until it came through the hole in the lid.
I wonder what has changed.It cant be the outside temperature has risen as my last brew on monday the outside temp was 5c probably the lowest I have brewed in.
paulg

Unread postby johnrm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 pm

What temp are you boiling at? It could be the temp probe might be a little off.
Is the gravity of your beer very different?
More sugars could mean your wort boil temp is higher.
Is your wort higher in protein? Either from ingredients or by adjusting your mash?
johnrm

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:06 pm

paulg wrote:I had done about 5 brews with the hood and no trouble but the last 2 I have had a boil up, and one of them I didnt notice until it came through the hole in the lid.
I wonder what has changed.It cant be the outside temperature has risen as my last brew on monday the outside temp was 5c probably the lowest I have brewed in.

Mash PH can have an affect on hot break.

Get the PH correct and the break will be bigger apparently.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Dicko wrote:
paulg wrote:I had done about 5 brews with the hood and no trouble but the last 2 I have had a boil up, and one of them I didnt notice until it came through the hole in the lid.

Also, your grain bill itself will affect the hot break.

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Nesto wrote:
Dicko wrote:

Also, your grain bill itself will affect the hot break.

Yes, I agree, dark grains will do it every time. :D

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby paulg » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

interesting as my last 2 brews had more dark grains ,the one that escaped through the hole in the lid was a porter @ og 1.050.
paulg

Return to General / Tips and Tricks