Double Mashing for volume

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Double Mashing for volume

Unread postby Oz11 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Thinking about a rebrew of a Triple Stout I did on a 3V system in 2013, approx 8.5% ABV, and researching double mashing I came across this
helpful guide which I don't think has been linked to on here before.

Any comments... pros/cons? As someone who hasn't attempted a bigger beer it looks like the way forward, for me at least!

Seasons greetings and happy new year to everyone! :beer:
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Re: Double Mashing

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:36 am

Oz11 wrote:Thinking about a rebrew of a Triple Stout I did on a 3V system in 2013, approx 8.5% ABV, and researching double mashing I came across this
helpful guide which I don't think has been linked to on here before.

Any comments... pros/cons? As someone who hasn't attempted a bigger beer it looks like the way forward, for me at least!

Seasons greetings and happy new year to everyone! :beer:

Hmm. It's an interesting technique. They really aren't going for a very high gravity beer here. It's more to do a double mash to create a 30 liter batch of 1.070 beer. I know I've gotten to 1.065 pretty easily for 20 liter batches, but I like the general idea and might try it out sometime. I wish they would have said more about volumes. Here's what I work out - tell me if I'm missing something...

Mash #1
25l - starting volume
-3.6l - grain absorption
+10l - sparge
-3l - reserved for 2nd mash
28.4l - water available from 1st mash

Mash #2
28.4l - starting volume
-3.6l - grain absorption
+10l - sparge
+3l - return water from 1st mash
37.8l - pre boil
If you do a 60 minute boil you'd be down to about 34 liters and then trub and fermenter losses for your batch.

You'd have to be a lot more careful about boil overs with almost 38 liters in a BM20. You'd be just 5 liters short of the rim!

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:49 am

I'm curious... what's the maximum amount anyone's ever started a boil with on a BM20 or BM50?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am

for me, somewhere just north of 30L on the 20
dinnerstick

Unread postby BodÖL » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 am

If one were to make a relatively strong beer at 23L with a double mash technique - is it a good idea to reserv as much mash from the first round of mashing to lower the SG as much as possible in the second mash as higher SG might decrease the efficiency?

Is it a useful practice to reserv as much as possible or just a waste of time and slobbering?

My example:
23L, OG:~1.085

Mash #1
23l - starting vol
-5l - grain absorption
-14l - reserved for 2nd mash
+19l - sparge/rince through
23l water available from 1st mash

Mash #2
23l - starting vol
-5l - grain absorption
+14l - sparge with water from 1st mash
32l - pre boil

Quite high pre boil volume for batch size of 23l, but my earlier experiences with double mashing learned me that I get hell of a lot of goo left in the mash and therefore requires a higher pre boil volume.
I did double mash combined with overnight mashing. I simply set up the first mash at night with some initial loooong rests at 19°C and timed it so that I could wake up the next morning and just start with mash #2.
Worked out beautifully - I really love my Braumeister! :beerbang:
BodÖL

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm

BodÖL wrote:If one were to make a relatively strong beer at 23L with a double mash technique - is it a good idea to reserv as much mash from the first round of mashing to lower the SG as much as possible in the second mash as higher SG might decrease the efficiency?

Is it a useful practice to reserv as much as possible or just a waste of time and slobbering?

My example:
23L, OG:~1.085

Mash #1
23l - starting vol
-5l - grain absorption
-14l - reserved for 2nd mash
+19l - sparge/rince through
23l water available from 1st mash

Mash #2
23l - starting vol
-5l - grain absorption
+14l - sparge with water from 1st mash
32l - pre boil

Quite high pre boil volume for batch size of 23l, but my earlier experiences with double mashing learned me that I get hell of a lot of goo left in the mash and therefore requires a higher pre boil volume.
I did double mash combined with overnight mashing. I simply set up the first mash at night with some initial loooong rests at 19°C and timed it so that I could wake up the next morning and just start with mash #2.
Worked out beautifully - I really love my Braumeister! :beerbang:

woooo.... got the idea!
just two question:
- 19L sparge in the 1st mash seems to me a lot of water rinsing the grains (tannin extraction?). Would not be easier just to add 15L water plus 4-5L sparge?
- why "sparge" the 2nd mash with the 1st wort? would not be easier just to add the 14L wort at the end of the 2nd mash?

cheers
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby BodÖL » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:just two question:
- 19L sparge in the 1st mash seems to me a lot of water rinsing the grains (tannin extraction?). Would not be easier just to add 15L water plus 4-5L sparge?
- why "sparge" the 2nd mash with the 1st wort? would not be easier just to add the 14L wort at the end of the 2nd mash?

G'damnit! Haven't even considered tannins! :shock:

Really good aspects, why sparge with all that water? Thanks for the input! Will change my mash schedule to sparge with 5l instead.
BodÖL

Unread postby johnrm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:41 am

Tannin extraction is generally the result of high temps during mash or sparge, or possibly a high mash pH, so may be related to water profile.
Over sparging would contribute astringency rather than tannins.
johnrm

Return to General / Tips and Tricks