A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:48 am

OK, so I gave the hop spider a good work out this last weekend.

4 brews done in 2 days, achieved by an overnight mash of a Citra Summer Ale Saturday night and finished Sunday morning, then another beer an Aussie Lager that was finished Sunday afternoon.
Same again Sunday night with a German Pils to finish it on Monday morning and then an APA finished this afternoon.

The overnite mashed beers were chilled and pitched and the day time brews were "no chilled"

The spider worked a treat....very happy with it.

image.jpg
Hops in the Citra Summer Ale
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Nice move Dicko,

I see you have a lot of fermentors :beerbang:
Do you feel that hop utilization factor will be lower with this kind of hop sieve (similar to hop bags)?
Did you tried late or flameout hop addition within the hop sieve?

Other thing,
What's your overnight mash shedules (for Lagers and APA)?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Raggi76 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:23 am

Nice work Dicko,

I have ordered my Half Inch S/Steel skin fitting to do the mod on my keg king hop filter.
Do you put the tightening nut on the centre rod first, and then rest it on that or just the length of the Half Inch S/Steel skin fitting sitting on the bottom to hold it in place?

Raggi76
Raggi76

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Nice move Dicko,

I see you have a lot of fermentors :beerbang:
Do you feel that hop utilization factor will be lower with this kind of hop sieve (similar to hop bags)?
Did you tried late or flameout hop addition within the hop sieve?

Other thing,
What's your overnight mash shedules (for Lagers and APA)?

I have not drank any of the beers that I have used the hop sock on yet, but the taste from the gravity sample is very promising. I dont think the hop utilisation is affected to any measurable extent. When I had my old 3V system I quite often used a nylon sock for hops in the boil and did not find any difference although some do report that they do.
Hop bitterness is extremely subjective in the HB scene in my opinion.

Yes I did try a flameout addition with the beer I chilled and I just left the hop spider in the kettle while I chilled the wort.....my chiller fits nicely around the spider and the pump pushes wort up through the hops in the spider.

Mash Schedules.

Lager
..........................Phase 1.....................Phase 2.................Phase 3..................Phase 4.................Phase 5
Dough in@40degc....10 mins @50degc.....40 mins @ 60 degc..... 20 mins @ 70 degc....120 mins @76degc.....;180 mins @ 76degc

APA

Dough in@40degc....60 mins @ 67degc.......20 mins@72degc.....20 mins @ 76degc......120 mins @76degc......180 mins @76degc

Luis,

You may set the extended phases for any length up to 180 minutes...I am not in favour of extending the Beta rest for too long but any of the higher temps ar OK.
It is claimed by some that an extended Beta rest may denature the malt and render the hotter rests as useless

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 am

Great info Dicko :beerbang:

I'm currently using a 36 plate chiller and Chad's hop sieve.
What kind of imersion chiller do you have. Speidel's one? Does it fit around the hop sieve?

When you do flameout hop addition, at what temperature do you let the wort rest? Is there any kind of problem let the wort "naturaly" cool from 100C to 78C for 1 hour? DMS?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:35 am

Dicko wrote:
Hop Spider 003.jpg
My little Sunday morning project was to make a Hop Spider for my brewery.

I could not justify the cost of a Duda Diesel Spider from the US so I made one.

First up I bought one of THESE and then I went to the local boat chandlary shop and bought a Half Inch S/Steel skin fitting.

I then drilled a hole in the top bracket to fit the centre rod and fitted the skin fitting into the base of the mesh hop filter

Dicko,

Do you have details of the skin fitting?

Is the small length of ss pipe sticking out of the bottom part of the fitting? I'm assuming that his would be required to raise the bottom of the hop spider from the bottom of the BM.

Thanks
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Raggi76 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02 am

Dicko,

Do you have details of the skin fitting?

Is the small length of ss pipe sticking out of the bottom part of the fitting? I'm assuming that his would be required to raise the bottom of the hop spider from the bottom of the BM.

Thanks[/quote]

Hi Cervantes

Here's the one I just ordered on flea bay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-Marine-G ... 1877017783?

Haven't got it yet, but i'll let you know
Raggi76

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for that.

I'd seen this on eBay, but it looked different to the one that Dicko used, so thought I'd check before ordering.

I's guess that as long as the bottom of the spider is kept far enough off of the bottom of the BM to allow for good circulation then it doesn't really matter. Maybe a shorter length would mean that the spider sits lower and you won't need to bend the handle inside the spider to get it to go over the central bar.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Great info Dicko :beerbang:

I'm currently using a 36 plate chiller and Chad's hop sieve.
What kind of imersion chiller do you have. Speidel's one? Does it fit around the hop sieve?

When you do flameout hop addition, at what temperature do you let the wort rest? Is there any kind of problem let the wort "naturaly" cool from 100C to 78C for 1 hour? DMS?

This is my immersion chiller. http://kegking.com.au/brewery-equipment ... iller.html Yes it does fit around the hop spider.

With all my hop additions I use the software from Brewmate and set the program to "no chill" for the hop additions.
Very basically the hop additions are moved forward by 20 minutes and the flame out addition goes into the cube and the hot wort is run in on them.
I have done a couple of Aussie Lagers using this method and I have not detected any DMS although I am still experimenting with the hop addition to get the beer "just right".
I cant give you the link to Brewmate software as it is only written for windows and I am currently on my IPad.
I know there are many throughout the world that think us aussies are foolish by doing "no chill" brews but many do it in this country and many have taken out top prizes in beer competitions.
It saves a good hour or more of time on brewday and it also saves a hell of a lot of water.
If I may relate to the video of the dutch fellow with the Braumeister, if I had water out of the tap that was 9 degc then I would probably chill every beer. Unfortunately that does not happen in most parts of Australia. :D

Cervantes wrote:Thanks for that.

I'd seen this on eBay, but it looked different to the one that Dicko used, so thought I'd check before ordering.

I's guess that as long as the bottom of the spider is kept far enough off of the bottom of the BM to allow for good circulation then it doesn't really matter. Maybe a shorter length would mean that the spider sits lower and you won't need to bend the handle inside the spider to get it to go over the central bar.

Yes I left my skin fitting long on the bottom so it does hold the seive up high in the boil.
You could cut it down in length if you want to but I was thinking to keep the hops above the element.
I cant give anyone a link to the skin fitting because I just went into the local marine shop and bought it.
I do need to tell you guys that the one I bought did not quite fit over the centre rod so I just ran a 1/2" drill through the centre to relieve the hole to allow it to slide freely but not too big as to allow hop material (pellets) to pass through.

I hope this helps

Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:33 pm

This would be very similar to the one that I bought

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=1

Very surprised at the price...mine only cost $9.95 :D

Dicko

Unread postby Raggi76 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 am

Dicko's hop spider project went off without a hitch
A few difference's, but I promise I won't sell the rights :wink:
I used a 31/64" drill bit to drill out the centre lugs in the skin fitting. This way it only takes the lugs, and you don't have to drill the entire length of the internal of the skin fitting. It fits perfectly on the centre BM rod with no play.
Drilled the bottom of the hop spider, and tin snips to make it a little wider.
As the skin fitting doesn't screw up flush, two o rings either side of the hop spider and compressed together by the skin fitting should hold it nicely.

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

Looking forward to taking this bad boy for a spin later in the week.

Cheers Dicko :beer:
Raggi76

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Well done Raggi76.

I am very happy with mine :D

Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:40 am

OK I want one now !
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:22 pm

For the not so do it yourselfer.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewing ... umeister20

I bought one of these. Looks real nice. Can't wait to try it out.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Dicko,

when you chilled the wort with th IC, did you run the pump with the the hop sieve in place? Any hops getting out from the hop sieve? The pump outflow is right beneath the hop sieve!
Luis Coentrao

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks