A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:01 am

Hop Spider 003.jpg
My little Sunday morning project was to make a Hop Spider for my brewery.

I could not justify the cost of a Duda Diesel Spider from the US so I made one.

First up I bought one of THESE and then I went to the local boat chandlary shop and bought a Half Inch S/Steel skin fitting.

I then drilled a hole in the top bracket to fit the centre rod and fitted the skin fitting into the base of the mesh hop filter

Hop Spider 001.jpg


Hop Spider 002.jpg


The extra hole is because I miscalculated the distance to the centre so I just drilled another hole.

Anyhow it wont make any difference to the workings of my spider :D

Total cost in Aussie dollars $44.00 plus half an hours work to drill the holes and bend the top bracket

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 am

very nice dicko! do you ship to europe? :?
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:08 am

dinnerstick wrote:very nice dicko! do you ship to europe? :?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have made no arrangements for shipping at this stage :D

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby stevodevo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am

Nice
stevodevo
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 pm
Location: Gold Coast AU
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

I bought 4 of these and will put them into use today. http://goo.gl/TsIZ6P
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:32 pm

redwing_al wrote:I bought 4 of these and will put them into use today. http://goo.gl/TsIZ6P



I have one of those that I have used for dry hopping in the secondary.

Do you intend to use it in the boil?

I noticed my ball has a bit of rust on it now so I dont use it anymore, I just dry hop by adding the pellets loose or if I am only doing up to around 50 gramms I use a tea bag.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Dicko wrote:
redwing_al wrote:I bought 4 of these and will put them into use today. http://goo.gl/TsIZ6P



I have one of those that I have used for dry hopping in the secondary.

Do you intend to use it in the boil?

I noticed my ball has a bit of rust on it now so I dont use it anymore, I just dry hop by adding the pellets loose or if I am only doing up to around 50 gramms I use a tea bag.

:cheers:


I"m using them in the boil now. Let you know how they hold up!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Eriksbier » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:52 pm

I want one also (europe)
Eriksbier
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 pm
Location: Netherlands Amsterdam
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Eriksbier wrote:I want one also (europe)


:lol: :lol:

You may be able to buy the parts used in the project on ebay.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Tipsy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 am

Nice one Dicko but I have to ask.
Why didn't you just use the keg king hop spider as is? Did it touch the element or something?
Tipsy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Batz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 am

How is this holding up Dicko, I saw one and thought is as a bit flimsy around the base. It may have been a different make as I don't remember Keg King branding on the box.
Looks like a good idea, I wish it were a little longer for the 50lt BM.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Tipsy wrote:Nice one Dicko but I have to ask.
Why didn't you just use the keg king hop spider as is? Did it touch the element or something?


I didn't like the way it sat in the kettle. It was not secure but I could have bent the top arm to suit, I guess.

The basket was interferring with the element and that worried me as well.

Batz wrote:How is this holding up Dicko, I saw one and thought is as a bit flimsy around the base. It may have been a different make as I don't remember Keg King branding on the box.
Looks like a good idea, I wish it were a little longer for the 50lt BM.

Batz


Batz, the whole thing is a tad long for the 20 litre model.
That is why I had to bend the top plate so it actually went inside the basket if you follow what I mean.
The skin fitting is fairly long, about 50 mm from memory ( not home at the moment) and I could have cut it off but I didn't want to, as I wanted the basket to sit a bit higher anyway.
The top of the basket is well above my pre boil volume of 30.40 litres.

I would imagine that a situation may arise when using hop flowers that it may not be big enough but due to my location and lack of availability of flowers I have learned to survive by brewing with pellets.

I can't comment on how it is holding up as I actually haven't got to use it in anger yet due to work :( but it appears to be reasonably strong if used for its intended purpose.

I will certainly include a report here when I do finally get to use it.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 am

Dicko wrote:
Tipsy wrote:Nice one Dicko but I have to ask.
Why didn't you just use the keg king hop spider as is? Did it touch the element or something?


I didn't like the way it sat in the kettle. It was not secure but I could have bent the top arm to suit, I guess.

The basket was interferring with the element and that worried me as well.


Thanks Dicko, my to do list seems to get longer and longer :cheers:
Tipsy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:44 am

Tipsy wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Tipsy wrote:Nice one Dicko but I have to ask.
Why didn't you just use the keg king hop spider as is? Did it touch the element or something?


I didn't like the way it sat in the kettle. It was not secure but I could have bent the top arm to suit, I guess.

The basket was interferring with the element and that worried me as well.


Thanks Dicko, my to do list seems to get longer and longer :cheers:


Tipsy,

I have brewed on the speidel for over two years without the hop spider and it worked fine.
I decided to make the spider because it was relatively cheap and I am currently experimenting with no chill during the summer for some ale recipes and an Aussie lager and I want to try lifting the hops from the brew at flame out in an attempt to eliminate the continual ongoing bittering of the brew in the cube.
It may work and it may not, but I will report back here of my results.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: A cheap Hop Spider for a Braumeister

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Dicko wrote:but I will report back here of my results.

:cheers:


Please do.

I've been using loose hops or a hop bag with good results, it's just that I see something like what you have done and compulsion takes over. :lol:

I know it most likely won't make a better beer but in reality either does my BM. I just see shiny things and have to have them.
Tipsy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests