Fermentation

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Fermentation

Unread postby airborn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

When is the fermentation ended?

First week a lot of activity -
Second week a little activity

When to stop?
airborn

Model: 20 litres

Re: Fermentation

Unread postby niels » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:12 pm

If your gravity doesn't lower during 3 successive days (and the FG is in the expected range).

Samples are not wasted if you drink them ;)

After a while you get to know your yeast and can determine this from one reading.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Curious... are you using a hydrometer or refractometer? Taste every one of those samples you take. You'll eventually get familiar with the flavors you have at different stages from wort to finished beer. Some styles of beer actually need time after you've hit your target final gravity to clean up off flavors in the beer. Lager styles may need time to clean up diacetyl, German styles may need to clean up sulphur, etc. A great book to read about yeast and fermentation is the Yeast book.

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 am

Some excellent advice from these two above. Also, get to know your yeast. I use US-05 often enough that I know at normal fermentation temps (for me, 15-20C) 2 weeks is usually fine, 3 weeks is pretty certain. I'll still take a hydrometer reading and as long as it's close to my calculated FG and tastes right, I'll bottle it.
Elderberry

Unread postby desupero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:58 pm

I have had 2 batches (the last 2) that i saw no bubbling in the airlock at any time. Either the fermentation happened really fast or maybe very slow or some other things going on. I read a post on a different forum about this and found the best and only way is to use the hydrometer readings and not rely on anything else (and especially stay away from another pitch of yeast so early). So on both occasions with no apparent action going on i have taken readings and found them both to have worked! It is i guess by far the most accurate way to find out. If the figures change in the readings then that is proof that something is happening. My advice based on my limited knowledge is to use and take readings for a reliable answer. So take OG readings before fermentation and then again 3 or 4 days later if you see no visible signs of action.
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Model: 50 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks