How to do a BIG beer in a 20 litre Braumeister.

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

How to do a BIG beer in a 20 litre Braumeister.

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:30 am

Dicko’s Method

On my BM with my efficiency I find that a 1.075 og beer will need 7.7 kg of grain

This recipe has 0.750kg of crystal.

If I had have steeped the crystals in my recipe separately I would have achieved a 1.081 beer from the mash tun with the same volume of grain and just added the steeping from the crystal to the boil.

The basic theory behind my procedure below is that once the sugars are partially washed from the grain husks and are suspended in the water to form wort, then the volume of the grain in the mash is less by that amount of sugars.

Your personal figures will vary with the mash efficiencies within your system.

Weigh and crush the grain keeping the crystal and the balance of the base malt in a separate container which represents the difference between 5 kg and the total grain needed.

Measure your water to the 25 litre mark and then subtract the amount that represents the extra grain absorption above 6kg.
In my case this is 1.7kg x 0.66litre = 1.12litres.
So you will have approx 24 litres of water in the kettle for the mash. Add the extra water to the sparge amount.
I feel I could bring this volume down even further to around 23 litres and sparge the extra litre.

Bring the BM to dough in temp…I use 38deg.
Tip 5kg of crushed base grain into the malt pipe as per normal and mix thoroughly.
Lift the malt pipe onto the bottom pegs on the malt pipe and support it on the BM stirrup.
DO NOT lift the malt pipe completely out of the kettle as you will then introduce crushed grains into the wort through the bottom centre hole in the screen.

Insert the top plate and gently push the mash down the malt pipe…I gained 150mm of depth in the pipe.
Drop the malt pipe back into position slowly as it will take a little while for the wort to rise up through the grain again. I found by leaving the top screen on it saved any grain coming over the top.

Add the rest of the grain which in my case was 2.7kg of grain to the top of the malt pipe. Add only small amount and stir well as you go.
When the grain is in and wet then place the top screen back on and gently compress the grain so that you can install the cross bar and wing nut.

I need to add that I have a rubber seal on my top screen and this prevented any grain from escaping. This is something that may need to be watched if you are “riding bareback” without the rubber. :D

Now just start your program from the dough in as you normally would.
I have noticed as the mash becomes hotter the flow increases through the malt pipe. Although it is slower than normal I would assume this happens anyway in any mash size.

I might add at this stage that I would not advise a full volume mash with this method as I feel it would come very close to overflowing the kettle. This would be up to the courage and daring of the operator :D

I have lifted the top plate and stirred the mash at the middle of each mash step except for mash out when I stirred it at the beginning of the step as I wanted to achieve a clear wort.
I must point out that the grain bed was fairly solid and actually rather than stir I pushed a piece of stainless flat bar about 2.5mm thick and about 25 mm wide from the top of the bed to the bottom. You could use a large knife or similar for this process.
I did this stirring or stabbing because I was doubtful of good extraction but I can’t tell now as I got to my pre boil gravity as predicted. VERY HAPPY. :D I will have to try another mash without stirring to find out.

I also stabbed the grain bed for the sparge as I found it was fairly slow and I was getting impatient.

Here is my recipe

Dicko’s Doppelbock

Pre Boil Gravity 1.062
Post Boil OG 1.075
Predicted FG 1.015.

Batch Size 25l in kettle after cooling
IBU 23.9 calculated No Chill at 27

Grain
68.6% Vienna
21.8% Pilsener
9% Caramunich
0.6% Carafa 2

Mash
Dough in 38 deg
10 mins at 40 deg
10 mins at 50 deg
60 mins at 60 deg
20 mins at 70 deg
20 mins at 77 deg

Hops
44gr of Spalt 5.2%aa at 60 mins
32gr of Hallatau Mittlefrau 3.0%aa at 10 mins (no chill)

Yeast
63gr of S189. coz that’s the only lager yeast I have at the moment.

Water
Total water (ppm):
Ca: 128 / 128
Mg: 11 / 11
Na: 0 / 0
Cl: 69 / 69
SO4: 124 / 124
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.55 / 0.55

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 70
RA: -28
Estimated pH: 5.42
Added the chalk only to the mash.

And here are some pictures.

IMG_0967.jpg
Pre boil gravity
IMG_0967.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 3193 times

IMG_0972.jpg
Post boil Gravity
IMG_0972.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 3193 times

Not a bad result out of a 20 litre BM :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: How to do a BIG beer in a 20 litre Braumeister.

Unread postby niels » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:18 pm

And by turning the top plate upsidedown you even get a few extra centimetres of malt pipe available.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

niels wrote:And by turning the top plate upsidedown you even get a few extra centimetres of malt pipe available.

- Niels

Yes niels you are correct.
Actually when I stirred the mash at the beginning of the mash out phase, I did turn the plate upside down so as to allow a little more movement during the pump break.
I would have to do another mash without stirring or turning the plate to see if it made any difference.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Just in time Dicko,

I was planning a HellesBock.... Waiting for the New toy (brewmasterbucket) arrives.
Gonna try your method.
Questions:
- grain mill: 1.2 mm?
- pump: no problems? 8 kg of grain is huge :beerbang:
- mash and sparge water: How much? Last time I used 21 liters at beggining of the mash (4.5kg grain, 20% Wheat) and it worked 5*; the Rest of the Water added stepwise, 2liter each mash step, and sparged with 2 liter at the end; no wort fountains, great mash efficiency (87%), simple and clean procedure, no stir. As Ralph told me once.
- beta rest temp: why 60C only ? Why not 63C-65C for 60 min? Better sugar conversion to maltose at 60C?
- dry yeast: 6 packets, whoo.... Big boy, pitch rate >2millions/Plato/ml; did you rehydrated the yeast? I have some doubt If the recommendation from fermentis takes into account the rehydration?!?! I've used 3 rehydrated packets w34/70 for a Pils and a Marzen (pitch rate >1.75millions/Plato/ml), as I ferment below 12C, but most of the guys use just 2 packets and state good results... What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks for the post
And... post your Bock's fermentation data by the time, anxious to :drink:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:25 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Just in time Dicko,

I was planning a HellesBock.... Waiting for the New toy (brewmasterbucket) arrives.
Gonna try your method.
Questions:
- grain mill: 1.2 mm? Yes 1.2mm
- pump: no problems? 8 kg of grain is huge :beerbang: Circulation was slower than normal but there was a flow at all times
- mash and sparge water: How much? Last time I used 21 liters at beggining of the mash (4.5kg grain, 20% Wheat) and it worked 5*; the Rest of the Water added stepwise, 2liter each mash step, and sparged with 2 liter at the end; no wort fountains, great mash efficiency (87%), simple and clean procedure, no stir. As Ralph told me once.When you lift the malt pipe and then refit it with the rest of the grain you will need enough water to almost come to the top of the malt pipe so it can saturate the new grain. But not enough that it comes over the top.
My figures quoted above is for that quantity of grain so I assume that if your malt pipe was full when you added the second lot of grain the 23 litres would be a good starting figure. I would just sparge the rest after the mash has finished. I wouldnt try to start too lean on water in case it affects the flow, but that is only my thought. When I do this again I will invert the top plate right from the start to allow for a little more movement during the pump break.

- beta rest temp: why 60C only ? Why not 63C-65C for 60 min? Better sugar conversion to maltose at 60C?My mash schedule is what I was lead to believe is a true German pilsener/lager mash. I use it all the time and I find it produces the dryness in the beer I want. If you check my grain bill you will see a big lot of Caramunich so I did not want any more body in the beer if I can help it.
- dry yeast: 6 packets, whoo.... Big boy, pitch rate >2millions/Plato/ml; did you rehydrated the yeast? I have some doubt If the recommendation from fermentis takes into account the rehydration?!?! I've used 3 rehydrated packets w34/70 for a Pils and a Marzen (pitch rate >1.75millions/Plato/ml), as I ferment below 12C, but most of the guys use just 2 packets and state good results... What are your thoughts about this? As I "no chilled" this beer I actually haven't pitched the yeast yet. I repackage my own dried yeast into 21 gramm vacc sealed packages and I selected three packets to keep my inventory correct in Beersmith as I used an extra pack in a low gravity beer that was a bit slow on starting the other day. Yes, I do re hydrate the yeast prior to pitching

Thanks for the post
And... post your Bock's fermentation data by the time, anxious to :drink:
When it is in the keg I will post the results of the recipe as I have never done Doppelbock before.

Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 am

Luis,

I dont know what your grain bill is for your Hellesbock but I would be wary using a big percentage of wheat as it may gum up the mash with the extra protein.

Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:22 am

Dicko wrote:Luis,

I dont know what your grain bill is for your Hellesbock but I would be wary using a big percentage of wheat as it may gum up the mash with the extra protein.

Me neither :lol: but... I'm not planning using wheat. Just used in light lagers to get some body and head retention.
I'll keep it simple, just like yours and German's do (although without decoction... why not melanoidin or aroma malt?)
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby McMullan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:38 am

Way to go, Dicko! :beerbang: Thanks for sharing :cheers: I'm wondering whether hydrating the remaining grains before adding them would make it easier?
McMullan

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:
Dicko wrote:Luis,

Me neither :lol: but... I'm not planning using wheat. Just used in light lagers to get some body and head retention.
I'll keep it simple, just like yours and German's do (although without decoction... why not melanoidin or aroma malt?)

Melanoidin would be fine....after all it is only Munich on steroids. :lol:

Mmm aroma malt...i just bought some carabohemian and I am wondering what it will bring to a beer.
My wort from the recipe above had a great aroma during the mash and the boil and a great taste from the cooled sample that I used for the OG reading.
I love Vienna malt. :D and caramunich 1.
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 am

McMullan wrote:Way to go, Dicko! :beerbang: Thanks for sharing :cheers: I'm wondering whether hydrating the remaining grains before adding them would make it easier?

Apology McMullan I missed you suggestion above.

Yes, it may help by hydrating the additional grain before adding it to the malt pipe but you would need to account for the water that would be absorbed by the grain.

If you brew by measuring all the water for the brew first like a lot of us do, then it would not be a problem as long as you used only the measured volume in total.

Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:49 pm

All good stories should have a happy ending. :D

image.jpg
Dopplebock

This is the finished product.
I am extremely happy with the result, it is a great beer for having a little sip or two after tea while watching television.

Dicko

Unread postby Dan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 pm

I agree!
I had a sample of Dicko's Dopplebock about 2 weeks ago - cheers mate :cheers:
Very nice winter beer.
I will definitely have a go at this myself soon
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:05 am

Dan wrote:I agree!
I had a sample of Dicko's Dopplebock about 2 weeks ago - cheers mate :cheers:
Very nice winter beer.
I will definitely have a go at this myself soon

I recon it is getting better as it gets a bit of maturity.

I have run off half a dozen bottles and have put them in the back of the fridge for future reference :D

Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Dicko,

What was your FG with the S189?
I've made a Doppelbock with w34/70 (repitch 0.5L). Ferment temp. 8C for 7 days with diacetyl rest at 20C for 7 days.
OG 1.080 FG 1.024. I should aim an FG of 1.020 but I couldn't get it.
It's good but a little bit sweeter than it supposed to be.
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi luis,

I am away from home at the moment and dont have the figures at hand.

I will check it up when I get home.

Dicko

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks