60L batch out of a 50L BM, single mash ?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

60L batch out of a 50L BM, single mash ?

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:10 am

How can I achieve this ? Looking at a straightforward English Ale around 5%. My aim would be to mash with max grain and max water that I could get away with then liquor back during the boil. I'm sure that the total volume of the BM is 70L, which means I should really just go for a boil of around 60-65L to prevent boil over problems, would this mean liquor back of around 10L during the boil as the boil progresses ?

I can foresee a problem with efficiency due to this method because of the amount of water and amount of grain and the pumps struggling, so maybe a normal mash to higher OG then liquor back at boil time, I will probably need a final volume of 63-65L to account for trub losses etc.

Or Parti-Gyle, which I have considered but not got around to yet (although Part-Gyle is less elegant that liquor back).

Anymore suggestions?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: 60L batch out of a 50L BM, single mash ?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44 am

HGB is a technique that's been around for quite some time:

http://maltingandbrewing.com/high-gravi ... g-hgb.html

It should be more time-efficient (but maybe less extraction efficient) than parti-gyle, as you can boil and cool additional brewing liquor contemporaneously with the main brew.

What's puzzling to me though, is that the article suggests to add that GL (as they define it) AFTER the main fermentation.

Model: 20 litres

Re: 60L batch out of a 50L BM, single mash ?

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:51 pm

I think HGB is too complicated on a homebrew scale, CO2 level of the top-up needs to be the same as the fermenter !

I've got a plan that I think is do-able, I need 74L total water for a 55L batch, I've not mashed above the malt pipe before, does anyone know what the max volume of liquid can be mashed this way?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks