What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:33 pm

when i first had the BM i used a couple of recipe packs from brewuk, they had dual instructions - for regular brewers they would yield 23 litres but just 19 for the BM- from the same malt bill, so doesnt surprise me, that efficiency can be low without improvements to your system.

Mine would be around 60% i reckon but i now crush at 1.6mm where poss, dont sparge and leave a couple of litres behind in the BM.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Growler » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 am

I believe some brewers get mash efficiency and brew house efficiency mixed up.

For my BM my mash efficiency is always above 85% but my brew house is generally around 65 to 70%.

You can do a little tweaking for Brew house, but consider for what reason you would want to tweak... if your are making good beer then you have no issue, just keep on doing what you are doing.

If your mash efficiency is low then crush or water treatment are the first two things to look at.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers Growler

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Growler

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:34 am

Following the info shared by Speidel saying that 1.6mm was the ideal crush, I started milling with a bigger gap than before. At approx. 1.4-1.5mm depending of kernel sizes, as I felt that 1.6mm was just too big.

Since the brews when I milled at approx. at 1.1-1.2mm, I consistency lost about 5-8% of mash efficiently (I sparge) on every brew, from high 70s to low 70s (some times even just high 60s).
So I will go back to my old lower milling gap practices.

You may want to lower your mill gap too. Check mash pH as Grolwer suggested.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks