What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

Unread postby Beerkench » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm

I use Beersmith and it tells me that I'm getting around 73-75% overall efficiency with my 20L BM.
I've heard of some getting up to 85-90%.
What are your results?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

RE: What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

Unread postby Haiass » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

i´m using beersmith too. My efficience is around 70%-72% with 20LBM.
Haiass

Unread postby DWP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 am

My brewhouse efficiency on beer smith is set at 70% but my mash efficiency is at 87%. I could keep the trub and chill over night and get another 2 litres for the FV and my brewhouse eff increases to 82% but haven't bothered to try it.
DWP

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 am

I use beersmith but I dont take into account brewhouse efficiency mainly because it can vary so much. This variation is not isolated to BM users but applies to all breweries.
My current set up returns me 82% mash efficiency with a 1.2mm crush from a 3 roller Crankenstein Mill.
I can squeeze more by mashing less and sparging more but really most times I cant be bothered.

Cheers
Last edited by Dicko on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 am

Dicko wrote:My current set up returns me 82% mash efficiency with a 1.2mm crush from a 3 roller Crankenstein Mill.

Cheers

How's that Crankenstein mill working out for you? I am looking at that & the 3-roller Monster Mill:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-320.html

Also - how do you drive it? With the drill?

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 am

I have been generally pleased with my Crankenstein. I have had it since 2005 and has milled around 600 to 700 kg of grain over that time.
I believe the monster mill is similar but has larger rollers....cold be wrong tho.

I drive mine with a stepped down geared 240 v electric motor that provides a mill speed of around 120rpm.
It is probably a bit slow but no tearing of the husk. If I ordered again I would get the stainless roller option as my rollers are slowly losing the knurl finish.
All in all very pleased with the mill and with the delivery to Aus.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Beerkench » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Dicko wrote:I use beersmith but I dont take into account brewhouse efficiency mainly because it can vary so much. This variation is not isolated to BM users but applies to all breweries.
My current set up returns me 82% mash efficiency with a 1.2mm crush from a 3 roller Crankenstein Mill.
I can squeeze more by mashing less and sparging more but really most times I cant be bothered.

Cheers

Have you tried crushing at any other widths? I use 1.0mm and I'm wondering if there would be any noticable difference if I tried 1.2mm?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Beerkench wrote:
Dicko wrote:I use beersmith but I dont take into account brewhouse efficiency mainly because it can vary so much. This variation is not isolated to BM users but applies to all breweries.

Cheers

Have you tried crushing at any other widths? I use 1.0mm and I'm wondering if there would be any noticable difference if I tried 1.2mm?

When I did the first brew with my new BM I used .09 which was what my mill was set to for my 3v mash tun set up.
Although I didn't get full wort fountains as described by others, I did have small fountains rising up on the top of the pipe.
I also was down on efficiency at around 68% from memory.
I then went out with the adjustment to 1.4 and got 77% but then after talking to other local owners of BM's I settled on 1.2mm as what appears to be a happy medium for my crush quality.
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 am

Dicko wrote:
I have been generally pleased with my Crankenstein. I have had it since 2005 and has milled around 600 to 700 kg of grain over that time.

Cheers

Wow - that's 9 years of service. Sounds like a very reliable mill. Thank you for sharing!

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 am

total efficiency between 72 and 75% here, generally with a ~7 liter sparge, on a jsp malt mill (dual-adjustable), usually at the factory settings, don't have a feeler gauge to confirm the gap. probably should have one..,
dinnerstick

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Dicko wrote:
Beerkench wrote:

Cheers

When I did the first brew with my new BM I used .09 which was what my mill was set to for my 3v mash tun set up.
Although I didn't get full wort fountains as described by others, I did have small fountains rising up on the top of the pipe.
I also was down on efficiency at around 68% from memory.
I then went out with the adjustment to 1.4 and got 77% but then after talking to other local owners of BM's I settled on 1.2mm as what appears to be a happy medium for my crush quality.

Tried a bigger crack today (sounds rude that) 1.2mm as suggested and wow what a difference. My efficiency was up 6%. I hit my estimated post boil OG pre boil so had to add loads more water and ended with 25 litres in my FV.

Cheers.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Re: What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

Unread postby Crusty » Fri May 23, 2014 12:12 pm

I've had to widen the gap on my MashMaster Mini Mill a tad & efficiency has dropped a touch.
Getting 73-75% or a touch better but have efficiency set to 75% using BeerSmith.
I'm pretty generous with my trub volume & stop collecting the wort once I have 2 x 20lt cubes for no chill.
I collected another 1.5lt of useable wort last brew that normally gets tossed out with my tub volume & that puts me into 77-79% efficiency.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Re: What are your Braumeister efficiencies?

Unread postby joostdb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:46 pm

mash efficiency = 78.5%

after that its determined by the recipe (amount of hops) and whether I sparge or not, lately not doing so to simplify the process, just use a bit more malt...

on heavily hopped IPAs I usually get this:

mash=78.5%
after pulling grains = 57%
after boil = 45%
joostdb

Model: 50 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks