Adding Molasses

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Adding Molasses

Unread postby desupero » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello,

I am creating a recipe and want to include molasses, i was wondering if anyone had a ratio suggestion for molasses to the pre boil volume, or should it be added at a different stage (perhaps fermentation, bottling or during the boil). Thanks
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Model: 50 litres

Re: Adding Molasses

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 am

You can add molasses in the boil or into the feementer but if you use any reliable software it will give you the amounts to use to achieve what you want to achieve.

The amount you use in your recipe will be directly related to what you need to achieve regarding gravity readings.

If you add it at any time after the boil you will need to boil it to ensure against infection but it can be done.

If you post up a recipe then many be able to assist you with some more reliable info.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:44 am

desupero wrote:Hello,

I am creating a recipe and want to include molasses, i was wondering if anyone had a ratio suggestion for molasses to the pre boil volume, or should it be added at a different stage (perhaps fermentation, bottling or during the boil). Thanks

Haven't tried molasses, so I can't really help with ratios, but one piece of advice - if you add to the boil, I suggest you pull off some wort into a pot to dissolve it before putting into BM. Stuff like honey, extract, and molasses have a tendency to collect in the pump (even though it's not running). And if you use the pump during cooling, it will get pretty gummed up.

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 am

Dang, I forgot to check my recipes for amounts, but I have used molasses with much success in the past. I've always added it to the boil early on. I'm pretty sure I've used 200-300g normally for a 20L batch, maybe even more. I'll try to remember to check some recipes tonight.
Elderberry

Unread postby desupero » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 am

Thanks Elderberry... Sounds good :-)
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Model: 50 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks