Had "one of those" days

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Had "one of those" days

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 pm

I was going to brew yesterday and haven't brewed in about four weeks. I had all day and the wife was at work so it was going to be "my" day. I was going to brew a recipe I found in the magazine "Brew Your Own" from a Canada Brewery. It's called Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Rosee d'hibiscus or Pink Hibiscus beer.
The recipe:
2.36kg Belgian Pilsner Malt
1.81kg wheat malt
.45kg light candy sugar (10 minutes)
7g of 2.9 AAU Nelson Sauvin hops (50 minutes)
0.4g Nelson Sauvin hops (10 minutes)
57-113g dried Hibiscus flowers (5 minutes) (I used the full amount)
14g coriander seed (0 minutes)
and to finish it, Fermentis Salbrew T-58 yeast.
The recipe calls for a single infusion of 66* for one hour.
Collect 23L of water and boil for one hour.

I started my brew day the night before by setting everything up and filling the BM with water.
I get up, mill my grains and by then it was ready to mash in.
Within the first 10 minutes I had wort fountains all over the place. One time I opened the lid and had wort shoot up so high it hit my shoulder and all over the floor. HOT!!! I cannot remember how many times I paused the mash to give it a stir but to no use. After I finished the mash and letting the malt pipe drain, I started the boil while my shoes kept sticking to the floor.
After dumping the grains in my compost pile I picked up the bottom screen and it had a small wire coming undone. It stuck in my finger so deep that I pulled my hand away and it came with me. It's just a small cut but I have blood clot issues and have to take a blood thinner so I had blood dripping. Finally got it to stop bleeding (or so I thought) but later on I see blood on the floor, table, malt pipe, the BM lid and my spoon. It happens.
During the boil, everything went well. I added the hops, flowers and coriander seeds and realized then that the pump is not going to work for chilling.
Sure enough, droped in my Imersion Chiller and started chilling. It came down to about 86* and I turned the pump on. It ran for a few minuted and that was it. It sucked up all that gooey stuff and was done. Chilling took a lot longer with me and the spoon.
Finished chilling and open the valve to drain into the FV and it clogs up right away. It's sucking up all the flower goop also. Took a while to drain out.

I overshot my OG by a bit but after all this headache, I bet this beer will be awesome. :drink:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Re: Had "one of those" days

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Hope it turns out great Bones! Do you think you could have used hop bags for the seeds and dried flowers? I like the sound of this recipe - going to put it in my queue!

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:07 pm

that's awful. so i'm going to comment more on the hibiscus! i experimented with a witbier with hibiscus flowers, fermented half with the flowers just in the last 5 min of the boil (like a teabag) and half where i also added in a hibiscus tea after fermentation. the 5 min addition was barely noticeable, the other one was sharp, pungent and delicious, tart-sour, people really liked it. i will have to look up the amounts later to compare to yours, but keep it in mind if you want to add a bit more punch.
dinnerstick

Unread postby ibbones » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:37 am

Nesto wrote:Hope it turns out great Bones! Do you think you could have used hop bags for the seeds and dried flowers? I like the sound of this recipe - going to put it in my queue!

Nesto, I have never used hop bags and I "knew" it was going to clog the pump up. But that's OK. It's churning away right now.
This is also my first time to ever use something like this except for a few spices for winter ales or pumpkin ales.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Beerkench » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm

I forgot to use the rubber seal on one recent batch and had to lift out the malt pipe after mash start to get it on the slide the malt pipe back into the BM.
Was messy.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Return to General / Tips and Tricks