max amount grain short malt pipe 50litre

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

max amount grain short malt pipe 50litre

Unread postby paulg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:00 am

as above what is the maximum amount of grain you have fitted in your short malt pipe on a 50 litre BM
I am brewing today and the recipe called for 5.5 kilos of grain .When I added this amount the malt pipe seemed very fully I had to push the top plate down quite hard to start the hold down wing nut.
I have read of people putting in more than this amount of grain did you need to really push the top plate or are my scales wrong and I was actually adding more than I thought
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: max amount grain short malt pipe 50litre

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:33 am

paulg wrote:as above what is the maximum amount of grain you have fitted in your short malt pipe on a 50 litre BM
I am brewing today and the recipe called for 5.5 kilos of grain .When I added this amount the malt pipe seemed very fully I had to push the top plate down quite hard to start the hold down wing nut.
I have read of people putting in more than this amount of grain did you need to really push the top plate or are my scales wrong and I was actually adding more than I thought

I think about 6.5Kg is max on the small malt pipe. If you find it difficult to get the top plate on you can always try flipping it to give a little extra room.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby peram » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:50 am

paulg wrote:as above what is the maximum amount of grain you have fitted in your short malt pipe on a 50 litre BM

On my first batch on the 50L with the short malt pipe, I managed to squeeze in 6.7 kg of grain with an effort. Don't think you can get much more in there successfully.

regs,

Per Arne
peram

Unread postby tallie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

I used to brew almost exclusively with the short malt pipe on my old 50L BM and I found a couple of tricks helped with larger grain bills:

1. If there's any crystal or roast malt in the recipe, don't add them to the pipe until after the initial sacc. rest, at which point a good portion of the starches will have been broken down or otherwise moved into solution, thus freeing up space in the pipe.

2. Noting that the spacer on the coarse (rigid) filter plate is a bit longer than it probably needs to be, for large grain bills, I inverted the top filter plate and used 6 stainless steel washers that fit around the centre tie-rod as a spacer instead. This added a bit more space inside the malt pipe at the trade off of being a little bit more difficult to remove the filter plate.

Using those two tricks, I was able to brew a few recipes with 6-6.5kg grain. By sparging more (at the trade off of boiling longer), I reached 75-80% mash efficiency on those batches.
tallie

Return to General / Tips and Tricks