New Brewer - Run Off Problems

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

New Brewer - Run Off Problems

Unread postby simonallen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 am

Hi there,

Very new to brewing and having problems with my Braumeister 20l and especially the run off. Basically the run off is incredibly slow and I have abandoned three brews. Very, very sad news!!!!! :( Twice I have had the Braumeister spitting the wort out! At the end of the mash(60min@ 67c) I am left with an incredible amount of liquid remaining in the malt pipe. Is there anything that I am blatantly missing or do I just need a longer mash? I've checked and cleaned the pump and it seems fine.

Grain Bill - 4.3kg
23l
67c mash - 60mins
73c- 5 mins
78c - 5mins

Not sure whether its user error or faulty machinery. Any ideas would be really helpful as I don't want to waste another brew day.

Your frustrating!y,

Simon
simonallen

Model: 20 litres

Re: New Brewer - Run Off Problems

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:50 am

Hi Simon,

Sounds like it may be an issue with your grind being too fine.

What's your (or your HBS') mill gap setting?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 am

agreed, too fine a crush would be the first culprit. you could always do longer mash steps, but they will make a small difference at best, your problem is way bigger than that. we're assuming you are using all or mostly malted barley, and that if you run the bm with an empty malt tube in place the pump easily pushes the water up and through the pipe...
if you have some more crushed malt you can mix it up well, grab a handful, post a photo. if it's really way too fine we will see straight away.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 am

simonallen wrote:( Twice I have had the Braumeister spitting the wort out! At the end of the mash(60min@ 67c) I am left with an incredible amount of liquid remaining in the malt pipe. Is there anything that I am blatantly missing or do I just need a longer mash? I've checked and cleaned the pump and it seems fine.

Are you sure you are following the correct procedure? Why are you running off with the malt pipe in situ? At the end of the mash, you are pulling the malt pipe (lautering)? Then you boil with hops and then you drain the wort.

If you try to run-off with the malt pipe in place then it is going to be very difficult to drain and is not the correct procedure for this machine anyway !
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 pm

What type of mill do you use?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks