mash in strike temperature?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: mash in strike temperature?

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:41 pm

hegeyb wrote:Thanks for all of the great feedback, I will put my trust in you for my next brew and start the mash at the target temp, which just feels weird, but this old dog can still learn new tricks!

I think everybody had to learn that new trick. It goes against what I used to do with getting the strike water to just the right temp and doughing in. It's such an awesome machine.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm

hi, rather than start a fresh thread i thought it would make more sense to continue this one.

was just hoping dicko, nesto or someone else could exapand a bit about mashing in at lower temps. i took their advice and mashed in at 38 and 40 degrees for my first two brews and it went very smoothly. both IPAs

but got me thinking why do many people mash in at higher temperatrures then ? what risks are involved with the lower temp? could this be why my first beer was sup[er cloudy ( being first brew i took my time mashing in so it stayed at that temp for about 20 mins at least.)

i notice the BM official recipes vary the mash in- for ipas they mash in at 63, wheat beers at 50 but do mash in at 28 for the Munich ale- can anyone explain the considerations?

cheers
Onthebrew

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:55 am

can anyone advise at all? mashing in at 65 or 40? what are the factors?
Onthebrew

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

dinnerstick wrote:just to add, single infusion mashers who have never had the 'pleasure' of doughing in at a low temp, wait until you try it! it's so EASY! you don't get dumplings forming all over the place! even if you don't intend to do a proper protein rest (or acid, or beta-glucan), i recommend douging in somewhere ~45 or below and then immediately ramping up, just for the ease of it.

Do you use a (too) fine crush? These "dumplings" don't bother me. Or are you using a lot of rye of oats?

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Onthebrew wrote:hi, rather than start a fresh thread i thought it would make more sense to continue this one.

was just hoping dicko, nesto or someone else could exapand a bit about mashing in at lower temps. i took their advice and mashed in at 38 and 40 degrees for my first two brews and it went very smoothly. both IPAs

but got me thinking why do many people mash in at higher temperatrures then ? what risks are involved with the lower temp? could this be why my first beer was sup[er cloudy ( being first brew i took my time mashing in so it stayed at that temp for about 20 mins at least.)

i notice the BM official recipes vary the mash in- for ipas they mash in at 63, wheat beers at 50 but do mash in at 28 for the Munich ale- can anyone explain the considerations?

cheers

I mash in at the first rest temperature @62 °C normally. I use hot tap water which brings me immediately close or very close to this temp so it saves time. At 1 min/°C it saves me 20 minutes and I don't see adavantages for me in starting lower (except for witbier, weizen etc).

For the wheat beers: they profit from a protein rest to make the starch more accessible.

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:32 pm

ok thanks hans - maybe i will try 63 next time then for IPAs

any considerations for a stout- would the flaked barley or roasted barley need a protein rest?
Onthebrew

Unread postby kahobro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't know about flaked barley but I guess they don't need one.
Flaked wheat: you will need it if you use large percentage (> 5? somebody else knows?).

Roasted barley: steeping is enbough, that for sure doesn't need a protein rest.

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Went for 65 in the end with the stout. seemed to go smoothly enough( that bit anyway!)
Onthebrew

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks