Malt pipe during boil for hops?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Malt pipe during boil for hops?

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:26 am

I just read where someone used the malt pipe during the boil to add hops. Anyone ever do this? interesting concept...
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Re: Malt pipe during boil for hops?

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 am

If the pump isn't running during the boil will the wort run up through the malt pipe?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:58 am

I didn't try it yet as I mainly use pellets.

Cervantes wrote:If the pump isn't running during the boil will the wort run up through the malt pipe?

The wort will not be flowing up as this is what the pump does when the malt pipe is sealed properly to the bottom.

I suppose that you would want to leave some space at the bottom so that your wort will keep mixing during the boil.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 pm

niels wrote:I didn't try it yet as I mainly use pellets.

Cervantes wrote:If the pump isn't running during the boil will the wort run up through the malt pipe?

The wort will not be flowing up as this is what the pump does when the malt pipe is sealed properly to the bottom.

I suppose that you would want to leave some space at the bottom so that your wort will keep mixing during the boil.

- Niels

So to use the malt pipe as a hop spider you would need to raise it off of the BM bottom by about 50 mm and hold it there some how.

I'm sure that a short length of copper pipe could be used as a spacer.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby kahobro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I never thought about using the malt pipe during the boil but I have been considering to use use the short malt pipe with a filter during or after cooling.

That in combination with a running pump could collect all trub inside of the malt pipe and be useful to get a clear(er) wort. The clenaing issues stop me from trying. if you use a plate chiller and add the malt pipe 10 min before end of the boil to sanitize it this would be easier.

Hans
kahobro

Return to General / Tips and Tricks