Who has a 20lBM a Chads Hop Spider & Coil cooler

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Who has a 20lBM a Chads Hop Spider & Coil cooler

Unread postby chris172 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 am

Looking to get the 20l BM and have seen the great hop spider/basket that Chad does in the US. The one that sits through the centre rod.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/images/ ... literC.jpg

My question is ... does Spiedels Coiled Wort Cooler fit over it? they usual go in 15mins from the end to sterilise and if i've bought the hop basket and the cooler doesn't fit over then save myself a few shillings.

TIA
Chris
chris172

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Who has a 20lBM a Chads Hop Spider & Coil cooler

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I have a BM20, Chads hop filter and a plate chiller...
Can't help you :(
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby paulg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm

I have a 50 litre bm and when I contacted chad via e-mail about exactly this subject he offered several different diameter hop baskets dependant on the chiller diameter
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby hughjampton » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 pm

I've bought one of his hop spiders for my 50l. It's 9 inches diameter with a 2 inch standoff tube at the bottom. That's about 23cm and 50mm in metric. It works very well with either the 25l or 50l malt pipes. It certainly makes cleaning a lot easier, especially the heating coils.

I haven't had it long and I've only tried it with whole hops so far and I add about 10% extra. I will try it with pellets next time.

I've also got one of his corny keg dry hoppers which I like a lot. I use it in my normal fermenter.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby Payneee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi

I have the 20l and braumeisters coil chiller and just have got the Chads Hop spider yesterday - good news is the coil fits round the spider - roughly 3 mm clearance

Using the spider on sat so will let you know how I get on but it looks a good bit of kit

Cheers

Andy
Payneee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby chris172 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks Andy... good to know as I've just pressed the go button on a BM!!! I had asked them for a quote and it was $42 postage!! might stick to muslin bags
chris172

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Payneee » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Two brews in using the Chads Hop Spider..

It does fit over the coil cooler no problem

I only use leaf hop so worked good but for really large qualities may be too much - latest brew was 190g in total which was OK

Run off after boil was easy - benefit was loose leaf in braumeister waited an absolute age to drain so harder to control temperature for yeast pitching

One difference is wort was not as clear as draining before was soooooo slow through hop bed

One thing I tried - take spider full of hops and tie under tap and let wort drain through the spider - same result as loose hop but 20x quicker

Is it worth it....

Yes if you want a quick drain and use under tap to filter trub

Yes - easier clean

Might not be ok on pellets - anyone else tried?

Taste/hop utilisation - will let you know, I used a regular recipe so should know if any loss/gain in flavour in a couple of weeks but using as a filter I hope could add more hop flavour..

Quite expensive - was a present so hard to say if good value - if ordering from UK watch out for an import tax, around £15 payable to release from customs

Andy
Payneee

Unread postby SteveOR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:12 pm

I use mostly pellets. The hop spyder works great. :beerbang:
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Unread postby D_D » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm

I have my Hop Spider on the way from the US, will hopefully brew with it next weekend, looking forward to
less trub loss.
Is there any concesus on how much, if any, loss in hop utilization one will get when using the hop spider ?
I saw that hughjampton increased with 10%, would this be enough ? I have seen all kinds of numbers
ranging from 10-30% when it comes to hop bags, and the spider is basically a hop bag deluxe.
D_D

Unread postby bierfest » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Would be interested to find out nore about how people are finding this hop spider. This thread https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62&start=90 has a link to Brygsselv in norway who are selling them. Think they are from Chad. Might be a good way to avoid the tax in the EU if the price works. I have seen somebody mention somewhere that when using this they were not seeing a good boil around the spider? Does it impact on hop usage or flavour.

The biggest pain for me is cleaning the hop leafs from my 50l especially after doing a hoppy beer as I generally use hop leafs.
bierfest

Unread postby hughjampton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 pm

I've used mine with leaf and pellet and it works perfectly. I use a plate chiller so I've no idea if mine will fit inside the coil cooler. A quick spray with starsan is all that's needed if it doesn't. It certainly makes cleaning the BM a lot easier, especially the heating coils. It also prevents the plate chiller clogging up when using pellets which has happened to me a couple of times.

I haven't noticed a drop in hop usage or flavour. Using pellets definately improves both. I set mine to 102 and I get a good rolling boil outside the spider but the mesh calms it down inside. The temperature gauge shows 100.

The spider itself is a lot easier to clean than I expected, even with pellets, which is a bonus.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Return to General / Tips and Tricks